“Elegance and Perfection” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 79 Hotels in Scottsdale
Agawam, Massachusetts
“Elegance and Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Elegance and perfection best describe our stay at the Canyon Suites at the Phoenician in Scottsdale, AZ. The Canyon Suites are Arizona's only AAA 5-Star resort. The suites are exclusive and offer excellent service, many ammenities and privacy.

From the first greeting, everything was perfection. We were greeted by a Canyon Ambassador who took care of all of our needs including guaranteed reservations for resort dining as well as recreation. They assisted with renting a car onsite for a trip to Sedona and also booked our Pink Jeep Tour to guarantee there was availability of our selected tour. The private infinity pool was peaceful and a wonderful retreat for relaxing and enjoying private time.

Our room was a one-bedroom suite with a view of the pool and Camelback Mountain. The Sterling Silver Coffee service in the morning to the afternoon wine tastings added to the elegance. The walk from the Canyon Suites to the main Phoenician resort was a short distance and most days enjoyed the "Cactus Garden Walk" that is located on the northern edge of the resort and features 250 varieties of cacti.

There are many options for dining at the resort that included, J&G Steakhouse, Il Terrazzo, Relish Burger Bistro, the Oasis Pool Grill and The Thirsty Camel. The Relish Burger Bistro has views of the golf course and offers premium kobe burgers, sandwiches, salads and many options for cocktails. The food was excellent and was pricey. The Oasis Pool Grill offered a menu of sandwiches and salads and was convenient while enjoying the pool. The Thirsty Camel was a fun location for meeting friends and enjoying an after-dinner cocktail. The views of the valley are beautiful from the outdoor deck with fire pits and we enjoyed the nightly entertainment. There are separate reviews of the first two restaurants that we enjoyed.

The are many opportunities that we did not take advantage of such as the excellent golf course, tennis, the Spa and the Centre for Well-Being. There is a Family Activity Center and a Kids Club offered as well if travelling with children. There are also guided hikes up Cambelback Mountain.

Our stay was perfect from beginning to end and can only look forward to returning sometime soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Loves2Research

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We loved our stay from the moment of check in - until our sad departure. I've stayed in some of the world's top rated hotels and the service of the staff here measures up against any of them.
The Canyon Suites are sumptuous and I only regret we didn't plan more time to enjoy this great resort and the pampering. I'll be back for more! Have to try one of the special therapeutic baths they will set up in your suite for you.

Room Tip: I'd highly recommend the Canyon suites - considering all that comes with them and the inclusions...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank cathyh1960_12
Narragansett, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We arrived quite late after airport delays and we had booked by hotels.com which I prefer not to do but this property had been full on their website. They did not have us anywhere on their books but due to circumstances in our favor they were not full due to a big cancellation. We were treated as well as anywhere I have ever been. From the valet to the front desk to the ambassadors at the suites... This is an exceptional property. We ate at all of their restaurants and my only complaint would be that the tasting menu at the J&G steakhouse gives you WAY too much food. It was delicious but the portions were too large. If I were not vacationing I would have been happy to take it home for lunch the next day but Boston is a long way to go.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy H
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician is unbelievably good in every way. From the moment you step into the spectacular lobby and gaze up at the rocky waterfall surrounded by fantastic cacti you know you are somewhere very special. The staff were, without exception, professional and friendly at the same time. The suites themselves are gorgeous with contemporary and luxurious decor and picture windows framing the most incredible view. My husband and I loved the separate bedroom area as well as dining area and the incredible amount of closet space and extra separate toiletwas also a godsend. We swam in the pool at the Canyon Suites every day as well as the other pools at the Phoenician. All were wonderful though we preferred the privacy of the Canyon Suites. The water slide and the phenomenal cactus garden were hits with our three year old son as were the golf buggy rides (though the walk was a very easy walk) to the pools and restaurants at the Phoenician. Everything is thought of at the Canyon Suites and we loved the iced tea available in the lobby each afternoon. If we were coffee drinkers, I am sure we would have loved the morning coffee there too! We look forward to returning and eating again at all the incredible restaurants, all of which were so family friendly, at the Phoenician. We were all very sad to be heading to the airport back to Chicago at the end of the trip. We have lived all over the world, including the last four years in Hong Kong, and have been lucky enough to have stayed at incredible resorts and hotels throughout Europe and Asia. We both think this is one of the best both with and without children!

Room Tip: We loved the rooms we had with views over the golf course. We were on the ground floor that perfect...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Katrina J
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Hi, we just spent a long weekend at the Canyon Suites and the previous "non five star" reviews are exactly correct - if you want to stay at the Phoenician but you want a smaller, quieter pool with no children, then the Canyon Suites is the place for you. There is no bar or facilities at the Canyon Suites so plan to spend time at the actual Phoenician.

More importantly I think the "Ambassador" service is pretty much non existant and I am surprised they are getting away with marketing anything special about the service at this outpost - in fact, I would say there is "less" service compared to the actual hotel, or any five star hotel. Our party arrived at three different times and none of us were offer help with bags, etc. The concierge had difficulty recommending restaurants for us and simply gave us a sheet with restaurant listings - some of which when asked they knew nothing about. I thought the service would be more in line with the "Club level" of a Ritz Carlton etc. and that is not the case AT ALL. Really, you are only paying for a smaller, quieter pool at the Suites - which isn't a bad thing, it's a nice hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank AnnieBibble
PhoenicianManager, Manager at The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Personalized service that caters to our guests’ every wish and need is the foundation of The Canyon Suites experience. We regret this was not what you found to be the case. As a AAA Five Diamond resort-within-a-resort, The Canyon Suites is designed to provide its guests with all of the signature offerings and amenities of The Phoenician, complemented by added privacy and enhanced features to create a more intimate stay. Please know that your remarks have been shared with our management team as part of our regular operational review to ensure the highest standards are met. We hope you will visit us again so we can demonstrate that commitment to you and your party.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have just spent an amazing week at the Canyon Suites, where nothing is too much trouble for the excellent team headed by Julian Arredondo, Director of Operations. A majorly service orientated, extremely helpful and client focused team. They are all friendly, courteous, efficient and absolutely professional, which is a credit to Julian and Starwood. The ground floor suite was wonderful, with a very comfortable bed, good sized lounge and drink prep area, decent sized verandas and good bathrooms. All very clean and maintained. Whilst there was a very minor issue with the room due to an electrical fault and this was soon resolved by Julian without any fuss or delay. The guys in the buggies scoot you to the main building to save walking on those scorching days. The pool area is a really good size and it has fantastic views of the mountains. Everything is very well maintained and the team just work discretely and efficiently around you. If you can get down to the pool by 06.30hrs, you will probably have it all to yourself. Good location and very near to the shopping mall, old Scottsdale and the airport. I will certainly be back and would not have any reservations recommending Canyon Suites to friends, family and colleagues. Richard from the UK, 23rd Sept 2012.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard O
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

To be honest I was a bit skeptical when I arrived at the Canyon Suites thinking the service and experience were over-hyped. No place is that good. I travel almost 100% of the time for work and am no stranger to hotel living but this was an experience beyond my expectations. Lora, my "personal" ambassador contacted me ahead of time and asked if I had any special requests, which I did, and they delivered on every one. All of the ambassadors were amazingly friendly and helpful as was every member of the staff I encountered. Housekeeping was perfection (down to the lavender sachet on my pillow every night at turndown because I had mentioned to Lora that I liked the smell of lavender). And the spa, wow....the hot stone massage literally changed my life. The atrium with the zero-gravity chairs coupled with the fruit-infused ice water was the perfect recovery zone. Wade gave me a great pool workout to counterbalance the room service meals of perfection (try the salmon). Poolside service was amazing and the grounds were immaculate. Not to mention the suite itself, tasteful and elegant without being too over the top. I regretfully finish this review as I pack to leave my little piece of well-attended heaven. We all deserve a little indulgence now and then. And there's no better place in my experience to do just that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank leahcun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Gainey Suites Hotel
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#14 of 79 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 stars 1,948 reviews

Been to The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician? Share your experiences!