“Exceptional Service!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Atlanta, Georgia
“Exceptional Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed here over Labor Day weekend and the service was perfectly wonderful! All of the staff was incredibly helpful, nice and happy to do any and everything. Before I even checked in I called to see if they could arrange an airplane tour of the Grand Canyon, which they gladly did. When I arrived, I just handed them my bags while I got in the van to head to the airport for the tour. When I got back my check in was really personal--with the young lady who had my keys and portfolio waiting for me upon my arrival. Then she walked me up to my room and showed me some features of the hotel on our way up.

Staff drove me in golf carts or the Mercedes SUV to the salon, the spa, and the mall (Fashion Square) whenever I wanted to go, then they came back and picked me up when I requested. The staff who brought my room service very nicely set up the meal then asked if I wanted them to come back to collect the dishes at a specific time. Everyone always asked if everything looked ok (which it did) and made sure to ask if there was anything else that I needed. ALL of the staff seemed genuinely happy to help in any way they could. Also, no one ever seemed to be standing around waiting for a tip. Every time I tipped, the staff always thanked me warmly and they never seemed to expect it.

The room and bathroom were large and nicely appointed. The room obviously wasn't cheap, but also not completely ridiculous, compared to a similar room/service in other cities. The spa services were really expensive (I think a $225 mani/pedi was a little crazy), but that's an option. I liked that there were little complimentary touches (coffee sent to my room each morning, fresh juice and fruit in the lobby, car service to the mall, etc.) so that I didn't feel like I was being gauged for money. The room service food wasn't crazy expensive either (compared to other hotels in the same class).

The pool was never too crowded (especially on the holiday weekend) and there were always shaded (or not, if you chose) pool chairs available with fresh towels laid out on the chairs. Upon settling in at the pool, you are given a pitcher of ice water with cups. The food/drink at the pool was good, not too expensive and came quickly.

True--there isn't a restaurant in the Canyon Suites, so that's a little annoying. The rest of the Phoenician is across the path though, so its not a big deal to go eat there I don't think.

This was my first time in Scottsdale and I know there are many options for resorts/luxury hotels, but I really can't imagine better service anywhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

We spent five days at the Canyon Suites in Scottsdale, and the hotel is amazing.

The service and the overall staff is very polite and helpful. They go above and beyond for the guest.

The wine tastings at 4:30pm are great way to relax prior to going to dinner.

The rooms are amazing! Very clean and comfortable!

Special thanks to Julian, one of the ambassadors; and also Jared (from Philly) that works at the Oasis.

In summary, we loved it and we're are definitely going back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Traveler88A
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

We've stayed at the Phoenician several times but this was our 1st time at the Canyon Suites. This is a much smaller boutique hotel-within-a-hotel concept and it works nicely. Check-in is more personal as you sit down at a desk and the staff walk you to your room. My car was kept in the front circular drive so the valet only needed a moment to retrieve it (admittedly, we are local so arrived in my nice BMW, maybe a rental car would have been kept out of sight!). The lobby is a knockout with double height floor to ceiling windows revealing the gorgeous "back yard" that is landscaped with a long stream flowing over boulders and the great view of Camelback mountain.

The hallway was a little dowdy with stained and worn carpeting and my wife was getting a little nervous. All fear melted away upon stepping inside the suite. We've stayed at many top properties including St. Regis Aspen and NY, but have never been in such a lovely room. Absolutely nothing showed signs of wear, and decor was low key and upscale. This was a 1BR suite and is very large, there is a full size dining room that was the height of luxury when they set out breakfast room-service on a white linen tablecloth in the morning. There is a large balcony with chaises. The Queen pull-out sofabed was prepared with full linens for our daughter while we were out for dinner, nice. Had dinner at iL Terrazo, we prefer this to the J&G Steakhouse although the actual space there is more impressive. iL Terrazo makes their own bread, the Phoenician bakery is one of the best in Phx. My Sea Bass was perfectly prepared, my wife's scallops were great and I don't even like scallops. They brought champagne and cookies for our anniversary, the champagne was great but the cookies were unremarkable.

The bed was the most luxurios and comfortable we've ever slept in. Getting back and forth to the main property was easy by golf-cart. The private pool is great, very quiet with an incredible view as you are tucked in right against the mountain. It has an enormous hot tub as well. The main property pool is nice, too, with the water slide and more variety and the famous hot tub with tiled fountains (you've probably not seen anything like it before.)

Then there is the usual stuff that sets The Phoenician apart, including the landscaping (including an enormous cactus garden) and the world-class art collection. You can now take a self-guided audio tour of the art which is a great addition.

The Canyon Suites is not a gimmick, it is well executed and worth it.

Room Tip: worth getting a room overlooking the pool and mountain
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JamesR36
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

A mix of business and pleasure... more pleasure than business in our get-away from the Philadelphia heat & hi humidity; the Canyon Suites was very much more than what meets the eye...the facilities and adjacent Camelback Mountain are self-explanatory with photos galore to view.... but the people; from the ambassadors to the pool attendants, to the cleaning staff exceeded all expectations in terms of quality, prompt service and a feeling of being valued during our stay.

Where shall I begin; At the front desk of the main lobby, Joe St Laurett, Rob, Nate and Jessica, although our contact brief, all were friendly and always offering help. Even the wake up call operator would ask ;" Is there anything else we can do".....

But our frequent contacts at the Canyon Suites; Alex and Denae always promptly assisted at the front desk..They were "go-to", always friendly, always asking if there was anything we needed;..they were special.. Even Jared, who would get us our car, knew our name.. Tony, Matt, Natalia and Aliesha, although our contact less frequent, displayed the same friendly manner, every "hello", was followed by an offer to assist or inquire if all was ok.

We are not golfers, and the Canyon Pool was the real treat for a quiet get-away time of enjoyment. With Camelback Mountain beautifully and literally looking over you, attendant, Ben Bishop could not have been any more accommodating. In the background, but always available to order lunch or get ice water,... not to mention answering our questions about the area and the famous people who have visited the resort.

We remember them simply because they made our stay enjoyable, and they remembered us. We shall return., thank you

Nick and Chickie Cirilli

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Greenville, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

The Canyon Suites at the Phoenician is a wonderful property for a family get away, small corporate conference or retreat. As an owner of an executive event planning firm, I had toured the property previously to get a feel for its offerings; but it was not until my family and I experienced the facilities first hand did the excellence shine through.

The beauty and elegance of the property is on display once you drive on the property and is incorporated within the lobby as well as the suites. The world-class staff (Ambassadors) welcome you and immediately address all your needs albeit current or potential.

My family and I took full advantage of the facilities including the Spa, Golf course, Canyon pool and cabanas, as well as the onsite dining options. We were consistently impressed with our options and staff.

If you are in search of a world-class exclusive experience, I highly recommend you include the Canyon Suites at the Phoenician in your selection process, you will not be disappointed.

Heyward Damon, Jr.
President & CEO
Damon Executive Event Planners, LLC

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank DamonH0330
Marlton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

My husband and I are very experienced travelers and this is the first time I have taken the time out to write a review for TripAdvisor. We were upgraded to the Canyon Suites and I just cannot express how imppressed we were with the service. We were there for a conference, and the hotel was completely booked. On our last day, I was ill and was throwing up. I had heard there were no late checkouts available due to the fact that the hotel was full. I called the front desk and asked for a little more time. They were so kind - they let us stay until 4 PM and they brought me complimentary ginger ale and ice. The entire trip, everyone was absolutely fantastic!! This service at this hotel is truly extraordinary.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Over the past few years I have had a great pleasure staying at The Phoenician for more than few occasions. The atmosphere and the culture of The Phoenician is top of the class. I have also stayed in other hotels around the Scottsdale area but so far I haven't found anything that rises above The Phoenician. This is my personal opinion and like any new experiences in life, you just have give it a go and experience it for yourself. Last note, you may realize that the prices are higher than some of the other premium hotels in the area, but don't let that discourage you, look around, you may find a good deal in the right time. All the best to your next journey:)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Buddha86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Gainey Suites Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,103 reviews
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,566 reviews

Been to The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician? Share your experiences!