“Lunch in an undiscovered wine bar jewel.”
Review of Crush'd - CLOSED

Cuisines: Contemporary
Neighborhood: Paradise Valley
Neighborhood: Paradise Valley
Reviewed October 27, 2009

My wife and I ate lunch in a cheery, bright wine bar last week, and I wanted to share it with you in hopes in won't fade away. We were very impressed with the quality wine selection that $5 would buy for lunch. A small place like this has to find a niche, and the owner has done a his homework on finding wonderful wines that aren't carried by the upscale chains that blanket Scottsdale. Right now, this place would be great to take your 'lady friend' to for lunch, no one would know you, and if she reacts like my wife {of 35 years} You'll be on the sunny side of the street until your next screw up. Nuff said about ambiance. The food was modern perhaps a little minimalist. By that i mean they don't feel compelled to dump french fries with everything. I had a BBQ chicken salad with a scattering of praline pecans scattered through it. the wife had a nice 'modern topping' pizza, and we shared eggplant bruschetta. the menu had enough choices, you could pair something with your favor varietal. Conversely, with 3 or 4 pages of wine, you could pick something interesting to eat, and challenge yourself to find the complimenting wine. The owner works lunch, so you feel you can have immediate input to someone that it really matters. We let him pick a second glass of wine for us to see if his pairing idea beat our selection. All in good sport.
I have fun with wine as opposed to being snobbish, and found this bistro FUN. If you tend to bore quickly, after ordering, hop up and peruse the little wine store that is part of the wine bar. I'll bet you can find a neat wine at half the price you pay at Bloom, North or the Greene House. Those are great restaurants with great wine selection, but you can be very comfortable at Crush'd without "crushing" your budget. I ended up spending more for bottles of wine I wanted to enjoy, than I did for lunch. It might be busy after 5, but lunch has yet to be discovered.