“Must see for anyone interested in design or architecture”
Review of Taliesin West

Taliesin West
Ranked #4 of 171 things to do in Scottsdale
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take a guided tour through world-renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright's winter retreat and studio, which exemplifies the principles of design he was famous for.
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I'm an architecture enthusiast. Being from Chicago, I've always love FLW's work. This is really the culmination of his work, built for himself towards the end of his life. It is a wonderful experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,470)
All reviews
in 328 reviews
"philosophy"
in 79 reviews

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Bring a girl. Bring a guy. Oh, be super swanky and bring one of each! Impress them with the tour guide & the American innovation revealed on this tour.

This place is uber cool. The architectural lines are divine by day or night. The history is spot on. The experience made me feel happy.

Make no mistakes about it. This place is not a house tour. This is a complex compound with many, many buildings and structures. If I were local, I would be back again and again. As a tourist, I took the 90 minute "express" tour and it was awesome. If you are visiting from out of town, be sure to check the schedule well in advance of your visit to see if you are lucky enough to catch a special event.

No matter when you visit, no matter what you see, I'm sure you'll feel like this was worth your time. I loved it!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was a bit reserved about this tour but was very happy we went.Our tour guide was excellent,well spoken and very informative. I would highly recommend this tour. There was a discount on Tuesday which was better than the seniors rate.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Why this listing isn't #1 on things to do in Scottsdale is a shame. To walk the estate and listen to the historical information flowing from the tour guides mouth one gets a true sense of place and contribution from Frank Lloyd Wright's contribution to our landscape.

It was a privilege to be here. I HAD to make time for this place even though I was traveling on business. Rich in history and a little scandal, Mr. Wright gave so much to our nation's landscape that honoring him and learning about him was a real treat and important history lesson. The walk and talk gives you a better understanding of design and a different way of thinking about how we live or can live. Not many places like this in our country can give you this opportunity. And, the delivery of information was at a relaxed yet concise pace so everyone had a chance to absorb and ask questions.

I will definitely make this a recommendation for anyone and a reason to visit the main estate in Wisconsin this summer.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 14, 2013

You don't have to be an architecture junky to enjoy Taliesin West. This site isn't as dramatic as Falling Water in PA but it's a fascinating chapter in the history of American design and a pleasant stroll (in the right weather). Unlike many such sites, visitors here can wander freely in many of the rooms, sit on the chairs and take photos. Visiting early in the day offers really wonderful light for camera buffs and there were only six people on our 9:00 a.m. tour. If you do visit Taliesin, consider a stop at the Arizona Biltmore Hotel to see Frank Lloyd Wright's visions realized on a much grander scale.