“hope to return”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Cross street: Scottsdale Road/Rancho Vista Dr.
Description: ****PLEASE NOTE**** OUR RESTAURANT SITS ON SCOTTSDALE ROAD IN THE OPTIMA BUILDING. PLEASE ACCESS VIA RANCHO VISTA DRIVE, TURN LEFT INTO THE UNDERGROUND PARKING AND FOLLOW SIGNS TO POSH SPOTS. WE HAVE COUNTER SEATING THAT SURROUNDS THE KITCHEN AND IS AVAILABLE BY REQUEST ONLY, (THESE SEATS CAN BE BOOKED ONLINE MY REQUESTING THEM IN "RESERVATION NOTES". WE CAN ACCOMMODATE GROUPS OF 4 BY USING CORNERS. THOSE SPOTS OFTEN FILL EARLY ON WEEKENDS. Posh's modern approach to fine dining offers the guest a list of daily ingredients, and the diner crosses of any ingredients they do not like, and the kitchen prepares a seasonal menu, avoiding dislikes. This seasonal approach to dining creates an interactive experience for those guests who choose to sit at the counter. We will happily make considerations for your dietary restrictions or lifestyle choices such as vegetarianism or veganism. *Please note this when you make your reservation.*
Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you are reading these reviews on Posh, then you already know that there's no menu, just a paper to cross of any offending proteins that you have no interest in trying. Even space to write anything else you really don't want showing up on your plate. I went with a friend, and we did cross off about 3 items each that we were not daring to try. But honestly, after our dining experience, I think I may be tempted to go without crossing anything off, just to see what delights the kitchen would present me. Even though we crossed off about the same items, we each got served different dishes. And we LOVED them all! Funny, because I don't think I would've been as happy if we had each other's dishes, as we really liked our own dishes we were served better. I don't know that it would help if I told you what food we were served, as I would expect each person's experience to be different, given what foods you are willing to try or wanting to avoid. Our server was great in explaining each dish (so helpful especially without a menu), and even was tremendously helpful in choosing a wine. Everything we felt was on point, including reservation reminders, our server, food, wine, portions, which contributes to our desire to return! Be adventurous and leave your dining experience in their very capable hands!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I travel with several co-workers several times a year, and we always try to eat at nice, unique local spots while we are in town.

I have read a lot of the negative reviews for this restaurant, and I agree and disagree with them. Is this restaurant over priced? Yes. Is the food delicious and unique? Yes.

I am a person that loves to try something new. At Posh you never know what you are going to get, but you can be sure that will be something delicious.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

A group of us went for a fine dining excursion last week, and Posh was the choice. I will not keep the suspense going : this is a pretty terrible outfit, I have so much to say about it, and it makes me actually really sad...
There is nothing great about Posh, not the location, not the atmosphere, not the food nor the concept...the very amateurish culinary team will cook according to your choices of ingredients and your dietary needs a " custom" dish, within a " custom" multi- course tasting menu. I was already very concerned by the format, but still willing to try, you never know this could have been a revelation ! Well, it wasn't, actually it was a lot worse than I could have imagined...
We sat in the main dining room with the complete open kitchen in the center of it, the place decor with Le Corbusier aspiration of design, it looked like the Ikea cafeteria ( by the way, I should review them, it is better than you think and extremely cheap), the table setting stood at a minimalist standard, but really this the least of the issue...I am just going to get to the food section, after all that is why we decided to go there, so let's break it down, hold on tight :

- the amuse- bouche consisted in two muscat grape split served over a papaya gelee...hardly worth remembering or even consumming, nothing like raw fruit to open your appetite !
- first course : 2 pieces of frisée , a few roasted hazelnuts, sliced dates and a yogurt..."dome", basically a scoop of tasteless goop on the bottom, I am sorry, " a DOME", not one shred of semantic could save the most tasteless salad I have ever had...
- second course : a perfectly good slice of monkfish liver ( made somewhere else), drowned in over spicy/ salty/ and quite frankly gross brownish sauce with seared uncooked and slighly burned cauliflower bits ( technical culinary term would be somitees, in French classics), I just couldn't conceived how you could come up with such a horrible concoction, it looked as bad as it tasted.

Note to reader : I am not being mean or blowing it out of proportion, I am not even mad, just surprised at this point....let's go on !

- third course : sea scallops and I can't remember the " sauce ", all I remember is the microcoscopic size and the fact that they were raw, not seared, but raw, the searing process is to create an outer seal to allow internal components to react without being dispersed or expelled from the ingredient, and create a light cooking reaction internally, releasing primal essences and flavors... These babies were cold, raw, uncooked, and with the appropriate CPR, possibly could have been brought back to life...I have nothing against raw seafood, but do not use a culinary term you don't comprehend, please.

- fourth course : some kind of unsettling fishy cod, " seared" ( please refer to paragraph above, as of how the fish was cooked), over black quinoa in a curry sauce, hum. At that point, almost 1 hour and some minutes, I was starved and decided to eat this course, no matter what!!! I have to confess, it was almost good, maybe I was becoming a believer or just plain hungry, I let you decide ! ( note: very spicy, overkill spicy and salty)

- the last course : dessert consisted in a poshed pear, yes I wrote POSHED ( I just couldn't resist) with a pear/ cognac caramel ( delicious) and some other substance OUO ( of unknown origin)...in the classic hotel management school courses in France, Switzerland or Germany, the poached pear is the third thing you learn after creme brûlée and apple tart, it is simple and good, this was no exception, it was simple and almost good, the fruit was thee smallest pear I have ever seen and the syrup they cooked it in was nothing more than sugar and water, no wine, no cloves, no vanilla pod....

THE END.

Well, as far as I am concerned, that was it for me, at the end of the meal, we were given frozen blueberry cheesecake lollipops and a bag of cookies, and suddenly the world became a better place...

I will quickly review other dishes served that night to the rest of our party :
- onion soup, no cheese, no bread, ok, still good, but in a gastronomical setting....NO.
- about potato soup ??? NO. I am thinking consommé Madrilene or potage Julienne D'arblay, not canteen soups.
-Ahi tuna sashimi, mostly silver skin, couldn't be chewed, sadly small and very lonely on top of 5 rice noodles.
- delicious oyster (1) , served with granite ( flavored shaved ice), Posh has a new version of this refreshing treat, mostly an un breakable monolithic piece of solid frozen liquid...( bring the ice pick)
- the duck course used a drumstick from the bird, pretty comical if you think that the magret or the breast is the cut of choice in most good restaurant, the problem with duck wing, specially the drumstick is the resilience it shows to be torn apart by the human denture. Oh well!
- wonderful sautéed Fluke, very very small piece again but at least tasty...

I believe by now you get the idea, and that night about 3 tables were present in the restaurant. They were no bussers, no food runners and therefore not much service. We had to ask for drinks every time we needed something, our server had 2 tables all night, that is about how many glasses of water I received in 3 hours. The bill came out at $ 500 for 4 of us ( $50 bottle wine, a round of drinks, 3 set menus 5 course, 1 set menu 12 course, and 3 glasses of wine). The total amount of food, to put it bluntly, for the entire table, didn't exceed 14 OZ, I will bet on that.
The culinary staff looked somber and concerned, maybe they know more than we think they do...I am not talking about cooking.
Posh is problematic as best, reading other reviews, I am puzzled, but then I realized, who in their right mind would critize a place, where you just dropped a small fortune for mediocre, pompous, poorly executed food, nobody is willing to look that stupid? Well, I will, in the end, saying' ain't so, most patrons will go there and rationalize to make themselves feel better about the experience, in my case, I cannot pretend this was incredible whatsoever, but actually quite weak.
Not to be....

2  Thank irrawady
Reviewed June 16, 2012

If you aren't familiar with the concept, you pick the number of courses you want and mark out the proteins you do not want (I marked out uni and frog legs and squid although I do like squid prepared in certain ways) and then decide if you want wine paired with each course. We didn't but have done it elsewhere and it is fun and interesting if you don't have to drive. Then the courses start coming but you have no idea what you are going to get. Additionally, if dining with only one other person you each will get different appetizers and courses throughout plus unique desserts! So fun! The server explains in detail what each item is and you feel like a judge on Iron Chef having the chef describe to you what has been prepared including all sauces and garnishes! Katie our server was amazing, the food was amazing and ar had a great time. Five courses, the last being dessert took almost two hours. Portions are tasting portions so if you want quantity, go to a buffet, not here! But if you want impeccably prepared food in a nice atmosphere by wonderful staff, I encourage you to try it. I'll be back!

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Absolutely loved the unique dining experience at Posh. The food was delicious, the wine parings made the tastings and the service was impeccable.