“Burglarized and my computer was stolen”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale
Ranked #30 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
AZ
“Burglarized and my computer was stolen”
Reviewed March 14, 2007

My room was burglarized and my computer was stolen while I was at dinner between 6pm and 8:30 PM.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff and room cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank smerten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Sedona, AZ
Reviewed November 28, 2006

One thing catapults the Country Inn Scottsdale from the ranks of minor disappointment to major one: the insipid, over-the-top, perfumed detergent that the hotel uses specifically on pillow cases, which is where you put your head, on which your nose is located, allowing all sorts of allergic reactions, including headaches and rashes, to take place.

More on that in a moment. First, let's look at the plusses, sort of plusses, neutrals, and merely minor negatives.

We had a standard king room and it was clean and pleasantly decorated, with good lighting. The bed was adequate in terms of comfort, not a pillow-top but not rock hard, either. The large TV swiveled and received a paltry 20 channels -- deduct two for hotel promos and you had 18, most of which were local Phoenix stations and news networks. There was one HBO. A microwave and very small refrigerator were included. The bathroom was cramped; there was no separate vanity area and the lack of space and clumsy setup reminded us of a rock-bottom budget chain. The toilet paper and facial tissue were obviously bulk, off-brands. The exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work, but the shower was fine, generously steaming up the mirror. The room was equipped with an air conditioner, which was so loud that it reminded us of a jet preparing for takeoff. If it had been the warm season and we had been required to use it 24/7, we never would have gotten any sleep, nor would we have been able to hear the television -- or one another for that matter.

Finding the ice machine provided a chance to get plenty of exercise, for despite several signs that read "Vending," there appeared to be just one ice machine for the second and third floors and searching for it was a treasure hunt that brought one down many corridors.

The public areas were pleasant enough. The breakfast, talked up by the clerk when we made our reservation, was substandard for a place whose rack rate is $90 per night for this room. By 8:30 they were out of yogurt, there was no room to sit, and all the newspapers had been taken. Breakfast consisted of bulk cereals, one flavor of microscopic muffin, the usual bagels, toast and English muffins, and waffles. The juice machine claimed to serve Sunkist brand, but the orange stuff that came out was foul and unlike any name-brand orange juice we have tasted. The breakfast area appeared to be unattended, at least while we were there, and at least one guest took it upon herself to rummage, unsuccessfully, through the stock room.

Back to our room. Fortunately, the window opened, which was a saving grace and which allowed us to grab a few hours of sleep. For some inexplicable reason, Country Inn washes its pillow cases in a cheap perfumey detergent, the sort that would cause many people to gag if someone wearing this scent were to sit next to them on an airplane. (And while one clerk we spoke to claimed this wasn't always the case, we would caution anyone with allergies or chemical sensitivities to run, not walk, toward the exit.)

We exchanged pillows twice and found, much to our horror, that there was not one neutral-scented pillowcase in the joint. (The sheets were fine, neutral and mildly bleachy as one might expect; same with the towels, though some had so much bleach that it remained on your hands after you dried them.) In desperation, we finally removed the pillowcases from the pillows (which had, of course, absorbed some of the scent) and used the pillow protectors as cases. Even this wasn't adequate, and I finally covered my pillow with a hand towel in an effort to get a little more sleep. The open window helped, except when the streetsweeper came by. Even then, neither of us got more than four or five hours of sleep.

I awoke with a headache and a rash on my neck. And with a determination to cancel the remaining four nights we planned to stay and get out of there. When we did this, the unhelpful desk clerk flat-out lied about the hotel's cancellation policy, claiming 24-hour notice was required. In actual fact, cancellation is 6 p.m. the day of arrival. The clerk, who claimed to have worked there for several years, admitted his "error" and did not charge us beyond the one night -- thus saving himself from a chargeback. A more responsible, customer-oriented management would have given us some kind of discount for the hellish experience -- don't expect this from Country Inn. (To be fair, not all the desk staff were this unpleasant -- some were very nice -- but this is not consistent, evidently.)

One final note: there was a dried flower decoration right above the bed, with a pine cone in the center. If you have an allergy to pine, this can be a problem -- we took ours down -- but you probably won't notice it over the scent of the pillows.

To sum up, this hotel is recommended for masochists who don't like ice. Not recommended for anyone else. We would not stay here again if they were giving away free rooms.

• Liked — Above-average cleanliness
  • Disliked — Hideous scented laundry detergent, lying desk clerk
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring a gas mask & if visiting the nearby medical center, ask for the medical rate
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank The-Motel-Mavens
U.S.A.
Reviewed September 19, 2006

This is only a 3 of 5 star hotel, yet delivered as well or better than any 3 star that I could have hoped for. The younger staff was perfectly polite and competent; the elders were as charming as Ma Kettle. They fix waffles for your breakfast and chicken soup later! These were all fine bonuses - I was just there for a clean, safe, quiet room.

The pool gets an 'A' . Parking fine, well lit. Room had iron&board, refrigerator, hair dryer, cable w/ HBO, very quiet room.

The location is outstanding. Just remember to take the first left-turn-only lane east of 101 from Shea. It's a short block north of Shea, though the sign is right on Shea.

They provided complimentary public-area internet access so I could print my boarding pass.

My effective rate with Expedia (4 days in September '06) was somewhat less than the $109 average shown in tripadvisor, but that price is fair for a relatively expensive area of Phoenix.

Tip: as I was business/pleasure, I got a great unlimited mileage deal from Enterprise, which was nice for zipping around the upper state / Grand Canyon on day trips. I locked in a rate of $88 for 4 days compact car. But I got it 30 days in advance - the rate rose steadily as the date approached (I just kept checking while holding my original reservation). Note: I'd drop down to 50 MPH in the compact car on some mountain ascensions while SUVS screamed by me at 75, but I didn't mind that brief inconvenience.

I'm generally harsh in my hotel assessments - usually on the issue of noise pollution, whether outside or from halls or adjacent rooms or thunder-thighs above. Not a problem with Country Inn. A surprisingly satisfying experience.

• Liked — quiet room, staff
  • Disliked — flawless
  • Tips/Secrets — see review
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank LarryP
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2006

The good: Very well priced and decent location.

The bad: Gross stained sheets, chipped bathtub, and air conditioning broke down.

The ugly: Surly front desk clerk who theatened my wife's physical safety. When reported to management no action taken. Written letter to corporate resulted in a form letter stating "I hope you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to 'doing the right things right.' . . . I hope we will see you again soon."

Umm, why would I return? Clearly you didn't do ANYTHING 'right.'

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 5, 2006

Next visit to Scottsdale I will stay elsewhere! Our room was ok, but I've been to better and cleaner Country Inns in the past. My main complaint is that when I would ask a question at the front desk (directions, an extra pillow, etc.) it would be greeted with "Don't ask me! I am the last person you should ask for help and there is no one else here to help you. I am here to answer the phones." That is just bad customer service. The complimentary continental breakfast was ok, but since it was spring break the small breakfast room was crowded. The only reason I didn't rate this hotel terrible was that it's in a great location and the hotel was quiet at night for sleeping. We throughly enjoyed our trip to Arizona, but will look elsewhere for a hotel next visit.

8 Thank Bjengaking
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 28, 2006

We spent five nights at the Country Inn and with its easy access to 101 we were only 15 minutes from the spring training games in Peoria. Our first floor room was immuculate and spacious. There was a patio off of the bedroom near the pool. The swim hours in the evening are extended until 11:00 pm. We didn't hear a thing. It was the quietest place we have ever stayed. The staff was curteous and helpful, offering us suggestions on great nearby restuarants and golf. The breakfast was exceptional. Fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels and cream cheese, along with delicious belgin waffles. On Sunday morning the eggs and sausage was a welcome edition. The location couldn't be better. There are restuarants, pharmacy, fuel, and freeway access within reach. To be able to stay in beautiful Scottsdale for the reasonable rates that the Inn offers makes it a great value. We truly felt like we had the place to ourselves and they were completey booked all five nights that we were there.
5 stars!!!!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Central Indiana
Reviewed March 20, 2006

We stayed here two nights while visiting Phoenix in March. The hotel was very clean and quiet. The complimentary breakfast was wonderful with make-your-own belgian waffles. We also enjoyed the Mimi's Cafe which is just a walk across the parking lot from the hotel. We were so pleased that we booked another Country Inn in Tucson for our next stop.

4 Thank tagnrocky