“Poor Elite Recognition and Very Noisy” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale
Ranked #29 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Denver
“Poor Elite Recognition and Very Noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

My stay started great with a warm welcome and an upgrade but beyond that this hotel was nothing but a pain.

They denied my 2pm late checkout request, the first time I've ever experienced that as a Concierge (top tier) member, and the were not able to honor my quiet room request even after calling and confirming it the morning of check in.

The rooms here are outdated and need serious refurbishment. As others have said they also desperately need to start enforcing their non-smoking policy. The hallways smelled of smoke during my stay and people consistently smoked in the pool area. In addition the comforter had holes it in from cigarettes, amazing considering the room was labeled non-smoking on the door. One of the towels in my bathroom had clearly been used and not cleaned, quite disgusting.

If you're on the first floor expect to be awoken every time the person above you uses the restroom as the plumbing is loud and right next to your bed (assuming you're in a King Studio). I also found the walls to be very thin and could hear the dog in the room next door barking all night long and whenever someone next door shut their door, I could feel it in bed, it shook the walls.

On the positives, I don't think there were bed bugs and the breakfast was at least mediocre, and the room size was definitely very generous. Parking was plentiful.

I won't be coming back here and am quite dumbfounded by how so many people reviewed this place so well. If you have even moderate standards in accommodations this place is just on the verge of meeting them, but could also fail miserably, as I experienced.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room and on a corner to avoid the horrible noise problems I experienced.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank TheFielding
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
We would like to apologize for the events that occurred during your recent stay with us in Scottsdale. We value all our guests' opinions and try to meet or exceed all of the expectations you might have when staying with us, especially Club Carlson members. We apologize that the desk didn't place you in a quiet area, along with not providing you the courtesy of a late checkout. I know it can be difficult trying to sleep when the guests around you don't show the respect to the fellow guests that are staying at the hotel.

We do have a nonsmoking policy thought the building and guests are only permitted to smoke in the designated areas provided by the hotel. Unfortunately, people don't always follow instructions. I can assure you, that when a guest smokes in their guest room we contact the guest and ask them not to smoke in their room or they will have to pay an additional cleaning fee.

I have spoken to our housekeeping manager as well to ensure we are checking all of the items in the guest rooms thoroughly on a daily basis. We should always provide a clean and comfortable room for all guests at the hotel. We hope that on your next return visit to Scottsdale you give us another chance to regain your trust. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention to help us improve our guest experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Breakfasts varied by day and were good. Especially enjoyed the breakfast burrito days. Often all tables were full, but no problem taking your breakfast to the lobby or to your room. Front desk and all staff excellent. Clean rooms. Pleasant place to be.
The layout of our suite was long and narrow. The sleeping area had the only window in the suite making the living area windowless, and a little dark for my taste.
My only complaint is how the no-smoking policy is ignored by smoking guests around the pool and patio area. Staff might have done something about it if a complaint was lodged, however they know it is going on as cigarette butts are everywhere on the outside patio area. I do not feel it is my job to "take-on" another guest about smoke in my face. This was advertised as a non-smoking hotel, after all.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingOnGal
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear TravellingOnGal,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate all of your comments and concerns about the hotel. Thank you for telling us your comments about the breakfast service. We are always trying to find new ways to make this service better. We are very sorry that you were not satisfied with the pool and patio area. We will make sure that we will pass this feedback on to our staff. We are very sorry for any inconvenience that you were caused. We use all guest feedback to make changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel thank you for staying with us. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Hotel was clean, staff very friendly and helpful. Went over the top to help us feel at home. Really enjoyed the courtesy car service to get us back and forth the Sun Circuit Horse show. Definitely will be back next year!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Cindy B,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We hope you enjoyed your stay during the Sun Circuit Horse show. We really value all of your feedback We are so glad that you felt at home at the hotel. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Stayed for one night. On arrival guy at reception very helpful. Follow-up call to ensure room was ok. Large suite with self contained kitchen area. Sofa, dining table and two TVs, Bathroom and bath were a bit on the small size but both functional. Very quite Motel in mainly shopping area. Bed was extra big and very comfy with cool cotton linen. Was able to extend to a late check-out. Nice size pool although getting between areas is tiresome with swipe keys in most areas. Usual free buisness centre proven to be a great help when traveling.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bookend48
Dear bookend48,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so glad you stayed with us. We are so glad that you chose us. We really appreciate all of your comments and will pass it on to our staff. Thank you for telling us about your concerns about the need for the keys in different areas in the hotel. We are very sorry if you were inconvenienced. We will pass this feedback on to our staff.. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Chino Hills, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

We made a last minute reservation thru expedia. I have not stayed at this hotel for a couple of years.In the Past was for horse shows.The people are what Make this hotel so nice.
My room did smell a tad like a dog....but was fixed the next night. Over all the hotel is NICE...If I had to say anything bad was it needs NEW Furniture...to make it GREAT.From the front end people to the food gal and the DRIVERS TO THE GOLF ...ALL WERE A 10!!!!!!!So, good stuff for this place for sporting events in my opinion.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michelle d
Dear Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time and telling us about your stay during the waste management golf. We really appreciate all of your feedback. We are so glad that you chose us. We will use your feedback about your stay to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you for staying with us. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Fountain Hills, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

The country inn and suites at Scottsdale was very relaxing. My room was on the first floor, with a separate sitting area with a couch desk. The next morning when I went to look out the back window I discovered the room had a patio with a small table, right off the pool. We weren't connected to the pool, which would normally would have made it even better, but as I had my young daughter with me I was glad she couldn't get out the back and directly into the pool area.

Breakfast was good, with eggs and sausage as well as the typical hotel staple of waffles.

My daughter has been asking to stay at that hotel for years, she is a fan of "the big red flower" as she calls it, and we finally did. And I am glad we did.

Make reservations early, especially if your using club Carlson points for all or part of the room, as availability can be a challenge. Especially during big events near by.

Looking forward to our next stay,

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear gsyoungblood,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so happy that you and your daughter stayed with us, and that we could accommodate you. We value all guest feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed the room. We also look forward to your next visit with us.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in early January as we were visiting friends who lived nearby. After much deliberation about where to stay we made a good choice staying here. The rooms aren't modern, could perhaps do with being a little updated, but they are super clean and staff are friendly. 2 old style TVs in the room which was good as my little boy could watch cartoons but I thought the suite was super huge - much bigger than the photos depict. the cot looked like it had been well worn and used, but it did the job fine. I liked the toiletries in the bathroom - pantene shampoo and conditioner. Had to ask for caffeinated coffee a couple of times - only decaffeinated in the room - I needed my caffeine fix before leaving my room in the morning! Breakfast was good - waffles, bagels, fruit, yoghurt, cereals etc - regular for the US but the staff made everyone welcome and where on hand if necessary.
you won't be disappointed - this place is great value, good location and staff very friendly. We chose well!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear UKTraveller,

Thank you so much for your feedback about your stay with us. We hope you enjoyed your extended stay in Scottsdale. We are so glad that you enjoyed all the hotel has to offer. We strive to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. we hope that you will consider us again in the future.