“Below average overall.”

Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
San Diego, California
“Below average overall.”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I didn't choose this hotel, it was chosen for me. I was asked to relocate from the resort hotel that my conference was at (overbooking situation), and I was feeling altruistic, and did so. I didn't realize I was being placed at a Country Inn and Suites (the very name should have clued me in).

First, the good aspect: the staff is friendly.

The remainder is simply below average. The carpets and decor are dated (I guess that's what the "country" theme is all about??). The towels are definitely not white and I found several hairs on several towels -- I didn't use those obviously).

Several of the evenings, the hotel managers opted to keep the pool open until midnight, despite the hotel guide stating it closed at 11 PM. The group using the pool at 11:15 PM was very loud and I phoned and inquired why there was even any one at the pool. I was told the pool was staying open until midnight and they'd ask them to be quiet. By 11:30, they were still noisy and I phoned again, but was told "...she went out to talk to them sir, but they weren't that loud...do you have your window open?...". Loud guests should not dictate keeping a pool open until midnight to disturb guests who may need to get sleep on a weeknight for early morning meetings, etc.

This evening, the hotel is 'crawling' with young children who are running up and down my floor's halls. When I phoned, I was told, "...they're going out to the pool sir...I'll see if I can have them keep it down...". Surprise -- they haven't and no one has asked them to be respectful.

I won't be staying here again. I wouldn't choose a 2 star hotel ever, and certainly in this case I didn't choose it, it was chosen for me.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear germatt2,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. Sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay with us. We are sorry about your concerns about the pool area. We are sorry if this bothered you and we are currently looking into the situation. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We use all of your comments and concerns to help us improve on our service for you and for future guests to our hotel.

Thanks again for your time. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Country Inn & Suites Scottsdale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Falls Church, Virginia, United States
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I visit Scottsdale once a month and have stayed at many different hotels in the area. For the last year, I have almost exclusively stayed at this one. For the price, you cannot beat the value. The location is central, the facility (rooms, etc.) is clean and comfortable, and the staff is friendly, responsible and professional. There is a decent breakfast spread each morning in a comfortable dining area (so comfortable that people will gather there in the evenings to socialize), the pool is heated and kept clean and maintained. I've stayed in several different types of rooms and they are all comfortable. The hotel is upgrading it's rooms which is a big plus as well. It's VERY kid friendly (I have a 6 and 9 year who have stayed there with me).

Overall, you get much more than what you pay for in this facility. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear NandoL699,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay in our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments. We will pass them on to our staff. They appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We are glad that we have provided that for you.

Thanks again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights. Check in was a breeze. Staff was great. Hotel is very clean. Rooms are clean and BIG! Loads of towels and bathrooms are big too! The full breakfast is very hearty. Easy to get to from Sky Harbour airport. Totally worth the price!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank luvmybasset
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear luvmybasset,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comments about the breakfast and your room. We will pass all of your comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing that they are doing a good job.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Texas
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed here for the Barrett-Jackson auction this year. They provided a convenient shuttle to and from West World. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Good hot breakfast every AM. Several restaurants in the area. Pool and hot tub area looked fine, but we really didn't have time to use it.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank TexTrvler
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale, responded to this review, January 29, 2012
Dear TexTrvler,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the comments that you made about our hotel. We have passed your comments about the breakfast on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. We hope that you enjoyed your stay during the auction.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will come stay with us again in the future.

Tiki Island, Texas
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My husband and I spent a weekend at this hotel in early November. The staff at the front desk and the person trying to keep up with the breakfast deamnds were great! The room was nice and clean but for us the winning key was the staff.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments. We will pass them on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing that they are doing a good job. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will come stay with us again.
Kansas City
Reviewed November 28, 2011

If you need an inexpensive stay 10 minutes from the Clinic, this is a good choice. They provide free breakfast with a good spread each day, eggs, waffles, and the standard bread and drink items. Someone watches, as they never ran out of food while we were there.

This was our second stay at this motel, as it is also close to a large retirement community, Westminister Village. It appeared that the room has not been updated for a while, and the AC/Heat unit was really noisy...to the point where we turned it on to heat the room, then turned it off during the night...this happened several times. The noise was bad.

We like this place overall, and our first visit was great. A lot of people stay here because of the convenience to so many things, and maybe it was our room....but I overheard another guest complain in the elevator. The sheets/coverings are inappropriate for the weather....you have a choice of a light sheet or heavy comforter, no medium-weight blanker.

So...yes we would stay here again, but next time we will not unpack until we check the heater/AC unit, and ask for a special, lighter blanket.

Room Tip: Overall a great budget hotel with free, great breakfast....just check your AC/heat unit to make sure...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are currently addressing your concerns about the ac/heating unit in your room. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. We have also mentioned your concerns about the bedding in your room. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Your comments and concerns help us do that for you and future guests to our hotel.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will consider us again, during future visits to the area.
Las Vegas
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My daughter was on a business trip and I went along for pleasure. This hotel was more than adequate, especially for the price. The room was comfortable and the service was excellent. There is shopping within walking distance, which was nice for me while my daughter was at work. The only problem that we encountered was that the breakfast room was always busy and they were always out of something. The person in charge of breakfast was so busy that you felt uncomfortable asking for anything. This made the stay a four star instead of five.

Room Tip: The bathroom smelled yucky when we first arrived because it hadn't been used in awhile. We just...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank 2like2travel2
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Scottsdale, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your comments and concerns about your visit. We will pass your concerns about the bathroom and our breakfast on to our staff. We are always looking for new ways to make our breakfast better. Your comments help us make our service better to you and future guests.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again on future visits to the area.