“Nice hotel in competitive market”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix / Scottsdale
Ranked #42 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was our 4th trip to Scottsdale and 1st stay at the Homewood Suites.
We enjoyed the spacious suite-stayed on the 3rd floor with a view of the mountains.
I kept comparing this property to my previous stay at the Homewood Suites( La Quinta, California) and found this property a bit disappointing.
1. Breakfasts/ light supper- not as welcoming or as nice as the other Homewood Suites so I missed the homemade steel cut oatmeal at breakfast with the fresh walnuts and California raisins for topping and settled for the instant instead. Egg products tasted too manufactured. Missed the very welcoming kitchen staff too. Light suppers-disappointing- staff not welcoming. We arrived 30 minutes before the end of supper 1st night- and were told lasagna was gone, stuffed noodles served instead-dry with no tomato sauce. When I asked if there was sauce was told no there is none-use shredded cheese instead. I used a small tear open package of taco sauce instead. Wondered why there was not a can of tomato sauce on hand for such occurrences and no apologies by staff- more like it was my problem not their problem.
2nd night- we weren't advised till that day- supper cancelled due to Christmas day. 3rd night- hotdogs and beans. Missed the chicken dishes served at the other Homewood.
2. Pool area-ok for what it was but in Scottsdale there are resorts just blocks away with wonderful pool areas and comparable prices so we kept asking myself why we were staying at the homewood to sit around a tiny pool built in the parking area and eat dry noodles and cancelled meals when we could move to a resort with a beautiful pool area for the same money.
We moved hotels after the first 3 nights on the insistence of my teenager and partner both bored with pool and meals and enjoyed the next 7 days at a resort, enjoying the pool area and our suppers out.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Jessica T, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix / Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Hello FreshandFrosty,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I regret to hear that our staff wasn't as welcoming as you have experienced in the past at other Homewoods. The Homewood brand is extremely guest focused and the culture is to provide a family type environment for our guests, therefore, I sincerely aplogize that we fell short in providing you and your family the experience you rightfully deserved.

I would greatly appreciate a discussion with you on how we could have improved our food quality, communication in regards to the cancelled dinner, and overall service. We are known for our sincere hospitality to all of our guests', therefore your feedback would be essential to our next training session.

You may reach me at 480-368-1200 ext. 2120 or via e-mail jessica.b.torres@hilton.com.

Looking forward to our discussion.

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix / Scottsdale

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is a decent hotel in the lovely city of Scottsdale. The downside is that there is not much to do in the immediate area. There is a movie theatre and a grocery store and a few restaurants but it is not within walking distance of any real shopping. There is not enough in the immediate area to keep teenagers entertained. The staff were very friendly and accommodating and the breakfasts and evening snacks pleasant.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the upper floor. We could hear people walking above us until very late into the even...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Greetings Travelgirl181747,

Thank you for your kind words about the staff and the complimentary daily Breakfast and Dinner. Yes in the immediate area there are more restaurants and grocery stores, however, we are in the middle of Scottsdale where our Complimentary Shuttle will take our guests' to many of the entertainment attractions in North and South Scottsdale. Many of these points of entertainment are minutes away in our shuttle.

Please give me a call next time you're in town, it would be my pleasure to assist you with your lodging and entertainment needs while you're visiting our beautiful city of Scottsdale.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is our second time staying at a Homewood Suites and once again we were impressed. Everyone that works there is so friendly and helpful. They really go out of their way to make you feel right at home. We travel to AZ quite a bit and we will definitely stay here in the future!

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank lc13lc

Hello lc13lc,

Glad to hear that we took great care of you on your second visit with us here at the Homewood Suites Phoenix / Scottsdale.

On your next visit with us, feel free to give us a call prior to your date of arrival if you have any preference on room location. We like for all of our guests to feel right at home.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Can say enough about this location as this was our third Christmas week stay in the last four years. The flat screen televisions we saw sitting in the hall last year during our checkout are a great addition as was the extra dresser one was sitting on. As usual, clean location with a great staff (Cora and Anthony along with the Pantry ladies get top marks). Seemed busier than last couple of years and they deserve to be. Looking forward to seeing you next year.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TwoRetiredOshawans
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel has many wonderful aspects. It is clear that the people running this property put great effort into making sure that their guests feel at home. The rooms are spacious and fully stocked, the free breakfast in the morning is beyond any free breakfast I have seen and the hotel is very clean. I was checked in by Jennifer, who provided a arrival experience that I would expect in a 5-star resort. She is truly an asset to this organization.

The location of this hotel is great - right on Scottsdale Rd and sooooo convenient to dining, hiking, shopping, highway. Our room faced Mountain View Rd and we heard very little road noise.

This Homewood Suites does welcome pets, for a $50 fee. Steep but the lowest of the Hilton family in this area. There was a grassy area to walk the dogs, however, there were no doggie bags provided (bring your own!). Needless to say...be careful walking around.

So while we loved everything about the place, we had a major problem and that was sleep. Our bed (room 126) was very soft and uncomfortable. The bed needs to be flipped or replaced. We would have managed except the noise from other rooms and especially upstairs was unbelievable. So loud! Completely impeded any chance of getting any solid sleep. It was terrible. Very disappointing becuase we would have loved to give this place a great review. We would not stay here again.

Definitely request a room on the top floor!

Room Tip: Lower floor was loud so request a room on top floor and not facing the road..
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jessica T, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix / Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Hello om_sweet_om,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback on our hotel. Your kind words about Jennifer will definitely be relayed to her as I'm sure she will be delighted hearing that she gave you 5 star service. We strive for a family like culture at our hotel, therefore we are happy to hear that you felt that way while staying with us.

I do apologize for the lack of sleep you experienced at our hotel. We hope to always provide a restful sleep for all of our guests.

I would like to discuss the issues you experienced over the phone if you have time. We continuously train our staff on how to handle different situations, therefore, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You may reach me at 480-368-1200 ext. 2120 or e-mail jessica.b.torres@hilton.com

On behalf of the Homewood Suites Phoenix/ Scottsdale staff, I wish you and your family all the best for the New Year. I hope to talk to you soon.

Jessica Torres

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I rarely write reviews but felt I must share with others my positive experience when I recently stayed at the Homewood Suites Phoenix/Scottsdale for six weeks. The choice of hotel was very critical for me as I was staying for an extended period of time for health reasons. I spent a lot of time researching hotels and chose this hotel based on the amenities and positive reviews. It met my expectations on many levels and will now be my hotel of choice when I come to the area.

Cleanliness is very important to me as I am well aware of the high risk of bedbugs in places with frequent travelers; this is a risk in hotels of all levels. I did a very thorough check of the room upon arrival and all was fine. During my stay, I was pleased to experience the high standard of cleanliness and maintenance of the hotel. This gave me a big sense of relief and peace of mind.

Customer service was first-class. This was important to me as I often was not feeling well and to know that my questions or concerns would be immediately addressed by someone caring and friendly made a big difference in my experience in a new place for the first time. Just the genuinely friendly hello by staff every morning was much appreciated. Unlike my experience at other hotels where I had no idea who the manager was, Jessica Torres is a visible presence and I was able to easily access and talk to her; she was also very personable and helpful. I was also struck by the personal approach overall of the hotel's functioning: a guest-of-the day program, receiving letters about the hotel's goings-on (some of them with my name printed on them vs. a form letter), an introductory/welcome letter from the head of the cleaning services...much appreciated.

The kitchen area had all I needed to cook for myself, including dishware, pots, silverware, etc.--that was great. I had requested a quiet room and it was very quiet--I had no sound disturbances during my stay. The bed was surprisingly comfortable (I have back problems so this was wonderful) and the black-out curtains were a great addition. The hotel is centrally located so it was very easy for me to find my way around a new town and the area is very safe. There was an updgrade to the internet/movie service during my stay so there are now many more options for TV/movie viewing.

For my long stay, I also was able to accrue Hilton Honors points which will allow me free stays at this hotel chain in the future.

I recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area. I felt very welcome and had high quality service and amenities. I am a perfectionist and very picky so if I can be satisfied, most people can!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Explore33
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

From the moment I checked in I felt welcomed. The evening meals were great, had tilapia, rice and green beans. Everyone at the front desk (Joy, Jennifer, Cora & Jessica-GM) to shuttle drivers (Jay, Anthony, forgot the other gentleman's name) made you feel as if you were staying in there house. I had to go to the Mayo Clinic and they always gave a ride with a smile. This hotel's employees go above and beyond to make you feel welcomed and valued!!

• Stayed: November 2012