“Just Enjoyable”

Gainey Suites Hotel
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed at the Gainey Suites Hotel for 5 nights on the recommendation of a co-worker. I enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast and complimentary evening appetizers served seven days a week with beer, wine, and soft drinks included. There was the added convenience of the Enterprise Car Rental discount offerred to hotel guests. I didn't know about it until I arrived, but will take advantage of it on my next trip.

Another perk that set this property apart from others is the MONSCIERGE interactive touch screen e-concierge display board (dining, activities, maps & directions, prints boarding passes, sends e-postcards, and more). I was able to send my family e-postcards and look at maps from the big touch screen in the lobby.

The bed was by far the most comfortable hotel bed I've stayed in and I really liked the Bath & Body Works soap, shampoo and lotion provided.

I met several folks staying there that have been coming back on a regular basis for years, thanks in part to the General Manager Rich who seemed to work ALL day, EVERY day!

This hotel was convenient to everything...only about 10 minutes from Salt River Fields where I took in a Spring Training game, Old Town Scottsdale, and great shopping everywhere.

The hotel staff was very courteous and more than accomodating. I loved eating breakfast and evening appetizers outside at the fire pit. I'll be back!

Room Tip: The courtyard facing rooms are the best...the studio cabana patio suites book up rather quickly.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,532)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The room size made this hotel great! We had a two bedroom suite for our family which gave us plenty of space. The suite was clean, comfortable, quiet and nicely appointed. My only criticism is that the rooms are very dark. With a first floor room, I couldn't open my shades or everyone in the parking lot could see in. It was almost too dark to be able to put on make up or even see if I chose matching socks. With some lighting improvement this room would have been great.

The hotel offers complimentary breakfast and happy hour hours d'oeuvres/drinks which were both very plentiful. The pool area is nice with plenty of chairs and towels available and even some floats/pool noodles.

To avoid disappointment, just know what you're signing up for. This is not a resort. The pool is simple - there is no drink service and there is no restaurant on site (although there are several about 1/2 block away).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Beth1225
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Appreciated the early check in and new Pool lounge Floaties were wondeful-- great breakfast evening rreceptions -staff helpful friendly. pool water temp a little cooler than should be but refreshing. new PAtio canopies on Pool level rooms look great and suggest it - outside living room feel. Rich GM is the best at personal service and leadership.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've been staying here for 5 years at least twice a year on business trips. Unfortunately this trip will be my last.

Upon arrival I was given the 1 bedroom suite I reserved. The walls were scratched, the rewfridgerator was dented and the inside of the refridgerator had broken shelves. Worst of all, the toilet didnt flush. At $300/night high season rates this was not amusing. Even worse was that the front desk manager, who while very polite, was not able to get me a room in working condition. It is really tragic to see this hotel to go so far down hill.

But given it has, I woul NOT recommend this property.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
9  Thank TexasCPA
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights here to watch Spring Training. We arrived around 2:30 and check in was quick and very friendly (Grade: A) . Our room was excellent. It was fairly big and the bed had a feather pillow top (A). The windows opened to allow fresh air. Full kitchen. Great amenities and overall very clean (Room Grade A.) The managers reception provided wine, tap beer, and enough food that you could make a dinner out of it quite easily. The breakfast was similar to an Embassy Suites (minus the omelet station.) We had breakfast burritos one morning and egg croissants the next. Food and drink (Grade A-) We enjoyed the pool and lounge chairs two afternoons. (Grade B+).
My only criticism is the exercise room. It gets a D because it's small ( four cardio machines and a small set of dumbbells.) My recommendation would be to triple or quadruple the size of the exercise room because there were at least 3-4 other people in the room while I worked out. This made the room a bit crowded. Alternately, it would be nice if the hotel offered use of a nearby health club.
We met the manager one afternoon. He is very visible and works hard. I told him how much we were enjoying our stay, and he was humble in receiving praise. Overall, this is an excellent hotel and we will likely stay here again the next time we can attend spring training.

Room Tip: Select a room that looks into the courtyard or pool area as opposed to the parking lot.
1  Thank Mikeandcris
Reviewed March 23, 2013

When I vacationed in Southern Arizona two years ago I stayed in Tucson. This time for a change I wanted to stay in Phoenix but was concerned about traffic especially around rush hour and the crush of the city’s million and a half residents. So after searching the web I settled on the Gainey Suites Hotel in nearby Scottsdale for my week-long vacation. It proved to be the right choice. The Gainey Suites Hotel is a gem of a resort in the heart of the far less congested city of Scottsdale.

Free parking on the premises, free wi-fi, an HDTV, a fitness center, a really nice pool, a complimentary hot breakfast, shopping and fine dining around the corner, and an amazing palm-lined courtyard (not to mention two cuddly teddy bears) were some of the amenities that awaited my arrival at this fine hotel. My studio courtyard suite was clean and beautifully-appointed and it had all the conveniences I needed including a fully-equipped kitchen and a great view of that courtyard. Glad I didn’t settle for second best.

Room Tip: A couryard view is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank rusticpress
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We found this hotel by accident while looking at resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. It is great for vacation and business. They have a very nice pool and many of the rooms overlook it. We go in the fall when it is probably quieter, but we would stay there during peak times, too. The management is nice. They have a wonderful breakfast every morning included in the room price and an evening reception that is much more than little snacks - such as pizza, spring rolls, BBQ. The rooms are very nice and clean. I love the kitchen in the room since we like to keep sodas, etc in the room. They have room packages frequently. The hotel is situated in a small strip mall, but it is off to the side so you don't see or hear the mall traffic. It is the only place we will stay. Perfect for a couple that wants a quiet getaway in a sunny state. We have seen children there, but the hotel really does cater to the business traveler. The children we have seen there seem to have fun and enjoy the pool. We love that they don't charge a resort fee!

Room Tip: Check their website for package deals. They feature "spring training" and other specials...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple