“Great setting, disappointing food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North

Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Great setting, disappointing food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

With company in town it is fun to head to places not normally on one's list. The Four Seasons is one of those places. Tucked away and serene. Went to the Onyx Bar for drinks and appetizers for sunset. The views of Pinnacle Peak mountain are unrivaled! Add in a fabulous desert sunset and its the perfect place to be.

The service was outstanding in typical Four Seasons fashion. Sadly the food was only mediocre! I have some dietary issues so am always aware of ingredients in foods. Unfortunately the items ordered had tons of extra ingredients compared to the descriptions on the menus. Even when prepared as shown on the menu the food was just ok. Wine selection is a good one, with Four Seasons prices to go with it.

I would definitely go back the service was just that good, but would order a cheese board or something truly simple. Or maybe I'd be adventurous and order whatever again to see if it was just a fluke.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BenShank99, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and providing us with your feedback.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed the beauty of the Resort overall in our desert oasis.

I’m sorry to hear that the food was not one of your highlights during your visit. We will continue make sure the food is prepared to the guests dietary needs and satisfaction.

Again, I thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon and often.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
western US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We checked in to mellow and lounge for a few days in the sun. The location & restaurants on property were great. The gorgeous landscape that surrounds the property, dreamy.
However, I do not want to chase down a pool waiter, or have several, yes, several hours before I am asked if I would like anything else. It was a major disappointment when compared to other Four Seasons properties.
The rooms need updates, the bathrooms especially. Dark and anything but average.
The rooms looked like they had not been updated since the mid 90's. Clean, but not anything memorable.
The restaurant Proof, is the saving grace of our trip.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank traveltounravel
BenShank99, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our resort setting and restaurants.

I apologize for the service challenges you experienced at the pool during your stay. Please know that the appropriate discussions have taken place as we work to overcome these service shortfalls.

I appreciate your honest feedback regarding our rooms. We will continue to ensure they are maintained to the quality that our guests expect.

We look forward to your return to Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale or any future Four Seasons worldwide.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a six day stay recently and found the resort to be absolutely wonderful. From the spectacular view, wonderful food and restful suites we could not have been happier. All the staff were attentive to us and our needs. The pool areas are wonderful along with the pool side bar. The only disappointment was the restaurant list provided by the Concierge. We were grossly taken advantage of Maestro's Steakhouse but that's for another review. If you want a great view, restful place to renew your batteries this is a recommended spot. The only think I would point out is the food and amenities are a bit overpriced but overall a great experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sugieman
BenShank99, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North, responded to this review, February 19, 2014

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and the exceptional services that you received.
Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated.

We value your patronage to Four Seasons and hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you back to Scottsdale!

Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

I was at the Four Seasons Scottsdale for a business conference last week that I turned into a birthday trip for my wife. So my experience was both as a business traveler and as a couple.

First, I can comfortably say it was the best hotel experience of my life. I have stayed in what I thought were five star properties before and I now know that I was lied to before! Obvisously the rooms, and food, and amenities, and scenery, etc. were fantastic - but the difference, really, was service.

Tough workout in the gym? Don't worry...scented towels and infused waters await.

Forgot your gym clothes? Don't worry...they'll give you some.

Want to play tennis? Here's a couple nice rackets, two cans of balls, a couple towels, and bottles of water all packed neatly in a portable cooler.

Want more coffee for the in-room Keurig? Make the call...and a gentleman shows up five minutes later with six K-cups on a silver tray.

Catch a chilly time in Scottsdale (like we did)? Don't worry...the resort has maybe a thousand overhead patio propane heaters that ran constantly when they needed to...even around the pool. While I was at the conference, my wife lounged at the beautiful pool and read even though it was maybe 60 degrees.

I could go on...

The best part about all this is that it wasn't the slightest bit stuffy or ostentatious. Employees were all polite, gracious, and seemed to genuninely enjoy their jobs.

So how are the rooms? We were in the lowest room category, Casita something-or-other, and they were fantastic. Huge rooms, with a sitting area, fireplace, private patio with amazing view. Awesome beds (haven't slept that well in a long time). Bathroom, equally massive, with separate tub and shower, robes, nice toiletries, etc. My only teeny tiny recommendation...would be that the glass/tile showers should have rain shower heads. Then the rooms would be perfect.

Food? Fantastic. Our conference breakfasts and lunches were first class (and private buffets). Other than the fact that our first breakfast contained no proteins (eggs, meat, etc.), everything was fantastic. Homemade granola, pastries, yogurt, fruits, smoothies, etc. The second day we had that plus eggs, bacon, and sausage (which was perfect for me). Lunch was even better. Several salads (including a green bean, chicken, and potato salads), several sandwhiches (reuben, philly, turkey avocado BLT), and a soup (butternut squash). There was more but I couldn't eat anymore.

Dinner was equally delicious and the settings even more amazing. I had (over several days) tuna tartare, crab cakes, several more salads, sea bass, strip steak, etc. I am not a big sweets person but I did indulge a couple times and even the light yogurt and berries dessert was great. Just right for me.

Is it expensive? Yes. It is a Four Seasons. Did we do spa services? Nope. My wife isn't a big spa person so the prices made it a no brainer. Will you spend $50 for two for lunch? Yes.

Would I go back? Unequivocally, yes. Put it on a beach and I may never go anywhere else. So my next task?

Find a Four Seasons on a beach...

Room Tip: If I went again, especially if we brought the kids, I would avoid the rooms away from the rest of th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank easton714
BenShank99, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and acknowledge the great experience you had with us.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, while also celebrating your wife’s birthday! I appreciate all of the glowing remarks. I will certainly share your feedback with the team.

Thank you again for your wonderful comments. We are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Visited the Scottsdale Four Seasons for a Corporate retreat. The rooms are all very nicely laid out and have great views of the valley and local surroundings. The catering staff was very attentive and looked after all the details. We enjoyed both the catered meals and restaurants. The weather was not quite as nice as we planned so the outdoor events had to be reorganized but the resort staff worked out the details and it was still great.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank GolfGuy26
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have stayed at many Four Seasons and are usually blown away. We left this one not dying to return. The service was only OK and the room was nothing special at all. Every night there was a private event going on so there was no where to sit outside and enjoy a cocktail.

The worst part of the resort was the food. It was not good and extremely overpriced. We ended up leaving the property to go into Scottsdale and get a good meal at a steakhouse. This is the first Four Seasons we have visited where we left the property to dine elsewhere.
To top it off I was getting a facial at the spa and the light fell on my face. I ended up getting a fat lip a few hours later. t I did appreciate the manager coming out to apologize but felt they could have taken the facial off my bill or thrown in a free lunch. Not looking for free things but thinks its a nice touch when a customer is injured in your establishment.

The scenery is amazing and the grounds are kept up very nice. Staff was friendly and seemed helpful but overall was not worth the price. There are too many amazing resorts in Scottsdale to pay the price for this one.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kristina w
BenShank99, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We value guest feedback as it helps us improve the guest experience.

We very much appreciate your positive remarks regarding the scenery, our grounds and our friendly staff.

We are very sorry to hear about your experience at the Spa. Our Spa Director values your feedback and would love the opportunity to hear from you soon.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with this valuable feedback and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back to Scottsdale in the future.

Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Still an excellent hotel, set in great scenery in the cactus filled area of North Troon. Nicely decorated in theme for Christmas and although not great weather the pool area was nice to relax in. Since our last trip they've changed the second restaurant into a USA themed one, and for us It didn't work as well - but we are English!!! Also slight lack of communication about this restaurant being closed to guests on two evenings for private bookings. Thought we should have been told this.
But minor gripes really - great hotel .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank forestcloughs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#17 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,103 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North? Share your experiences!