“Favorite Restaurant”
Review of Mastro's City Hall

Mastro's City Hall
Reserve with OpenTable
Mastro's City Hall is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,274 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Cross street: Goldwater
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Am I a foodie? I never thought of myself that way but I've been to many places around the USA. Mastro's City Hall located in beautiful Scottsdale is my favorite for food and service. My first experience was during a business dinner for 5 people, which I typically find hard to relax but the waiter was fantastic and entertaining. Had great suggestions for drinks, food, and dessert - I like a prepared waiter/waitress. The atmosphere is a perfect setting for family, business, romantic dinner, or night out with friends. The main dining area is separated by a glass wall from a beautiful bar and lounge area. I had the Chilean Sea Bass that absolutely melted in my mouth it was so perfectly cooked. The side dishes were a share style among the table and all delicious. We had some very particular people in the group for both drinks and food but all were happy that the bartender and chef prepared exactly as they ordered. If you go, absolutely do not pass on the Warm Butter Cake.

There are newer reviews for Mastro's City Hall

Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I am vegetarian but go with my family so they can eat the steaks they crave about.
We go 4 times a year and the one thing that bothers me is that even after a request a certain type of table when I make the reservation, without failure we r given the worst table in the restaurant. Even on a Monday night when it is not busy busy. What's up with that. So I request a different table and have to wait for it to be set up. By now I am annoyed and will most probably not go back.
Our waiter this time had no idea what is in a cosmopolitan so I had to pass on it. Did not volunteer to go to the bar to find out. He should have.
But the steaks r great, I am told. So if in town and in the mood for steak, head on down to mastros. And make sure u r happy with ur table.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I expected a lot from Mastro's City Hall, so keep this in context. I have been to the Mastro's Beverly Hills many times and expected these standards here. What I went for was an upscale chic, unique location Mastros with really fantastic food & service. They delivered on the steak, but that was really the star.

Reality is this felt like a knock off of what used to be a really special restaurant, but is truly now a large generic restaurant chain. Here are the best adjectives that reasonate: SUPER salty, very loud, everything was dripping in oil, with great steak, and but very rushed.

The dining room was HUGE and location was in an generic office building, not the "City Hall" feeling we expected. The interior needs some kind of sound dampening with volume so loud that my voice was scratchy from talking so loudly after leaving. They sat us failry quickly which was great. The service was attentive, then I realized the objectice msut have been to flip the table quickly & churn through bodies. We were definitely NOT slowly moving through a meal and taking the table for too long. The appetizers came around, then quickly removed before they cooled off & salad dropped down in it's place. Before we could enjoy a glass of wine, the main course arrived.

Food: The appetizers were good (though over-salted & shiny with oil) & pretzel bread fantastic. The salad was below average with bland dressing and wilted lettuce. Then the steak with sides (family style) arrived, more of the salty & greasy trend. The steak was tender and delicious, even sizzling on the plates. Those who ordered other entrees said they were just ok. We ordered snap peas so something would be healthy, but these were dripping with shiny oil too. While we didn't expect a healthy meal, there was no need to soak everything in grease and salt.

For dessert we each ordered layered chocolate cake because it sounded amazing. When they arrived, it seemed like it was a thawed version of cake that was dried out, old & should have been in the trash. Not one person ate more than 1 bite or 2. We each had the same opinion, so wasn't isolated. It was genuinely horrible & the staff didn't ask how it was, probably because they knew.

So what was good? Great steak, wonderful pretzel bread, decadent creamed spinach and good wine list.

My suggestion is to find a more unique high quality spot to try. Scottsdale is a fantastic wonderful area. There MUST be a more high-quality choice available.

1  Thank tkinc2win
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The service was excellent. The food was great if you like meat. but this is a high capacity high volume restaurant - just a little too much for a relaxed meal.

1  Thank jennybobenny
Reviewed December 5, 2012

As a passionate lover of steaks it was a must to visit a steakhouse in Scottsdale. The descriptions in tripadvisor as a somewhat uncommon steakrestaurant made me curios and directed me here. Yes it is noisy and busy, definitely not the place for a romantic dinner. We had a nice table for us three and the service was very helpful. But the best is the meat, wet-aged steak. We had a ribeye-in-bone, a filetsteak and a newyork strip and all the steaks were prepared perfect á point. There was absolutely no need for the offered side - sauces because the pure taste of the meat was so juicy and tasteful. If I compare it to my last visits at Keen´s - New York, Cut - Los Angeles and Alexanders - SFO these steaks here were a least at the same level.