“Great staycation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Az
“Great staycation”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We stayed at the Firesky Resort, in Scottsdale the night of 8/21, in celebration of our anniversary. We got a great rate, with a $50 food/beverage credit. At check-in, we were greeted very pleasantly and told all about the features of the hotel. We were also upgraded, without even asking, because of our anniversary. We found all employees to be friendly and customer oriented, from the bartenders to the valets. Our room was on the first floor, with a view of the beach pool. The room was very nice, with a flat screen tv and the radio already playing cool jazz. The bed was super comfy and the pillows to die for. There is a mini bar and assorted snacks, of which we were allowed to raid, to the tune of $10, taken off our bill at check-out. The air conditioning in the room worked quite well and we were very comfortable. There are Aveda Products in the bath and two cool leopard robes in the closet, along with a safe. It was obvious that the room had been re-done fairly recently. We had a nice patio, which we enjoyed, and there was a lounger in the room. The room was virtually soundproof-once the door was closed, we heard nothing from the outside. One note, in the bathroom, the toilet is almost touching the shower glass, then there is a lot of room on the other side of the toilet-totally wasted space that could have been used to make the room less cramped feeling. Loved the separate room with pedestal sink, though. We were able to find a chair at the beach pool, but the other pool was very crowded, with lots of partying going on. We had drinks at the pool bar although they were pricey, as with most resorts. The hotel is pet friendly and there were quite a few dogs staying at the hotel and that was fun, although one was allowed to swim in the pool, which was a little disturbing. There is a complimentary wine tasting from 5-6, which is a nice touch. There is also a coffee bar in the mornings, which is another perk that we enjoyed. Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was okay, nothing great. I really appreciated the hotel not allowing the "towel game". There were signs letting the guests know that if they were away for an hour, their things would be removed from the chair. Bravo! No surprises at check-out and we definitely will be back.

2 Thank nibs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed August 19, 2010

First of all, I'm not a picky traveler and I don't expect perfection. But, when I stay at a resort I expect them to give 100% to customer service. Firesky rated high but not there for me. I took my husband there as a get-away for his birthday. He likes the hotel room cold - our hotel room would only get to "cool". Maintenance was called but they were unable to fix the system to cool better. They recognized and acknowledged it was not cooling as it should. We were offered to switch rooms but, it was too late at night and so we just accepted a fan from maintenance. I reported this to Kimpton and they acknowledge our concern.

People were courteous at the Firesky, poolside service didn't begin until almost noon. With the Arizona heat, this was not great. There should have been service beginning at 10:00 a.m. at the latest. Once service began, they were good, it was just a slow start because the pool was full and people were ready for drinks and lunch.

Front desk staff tried to be helpful but fell short on dining advice, but they were nice.

The Maintenance man was very nice and apologetic about the failing AC unit. Humid July at the Firesky - next time we'll switch rooms immediately and not hope it will get cooler.

My hope would have been a more apologetic response from Firesky / Kimpton. Staying at a Kimpton property, I expect above everything else that they will make sure you walk away happy. We did not.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JillYAZG
California
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I took my husband to the Firesky Resort for his Birthday this year. Yes, I know it is uber scorching Hot in Scottsdale, but he has an Aug. Bday.
The whole experience was wonderful from checking in to checking out. We used the tips from previous traveler's and got the secret monthly password off of FaceBook to get a free upgrade on our room. Our room was roomy and rustic all in one. The bed was just as comfortable as the one we have at home. The only thing I would think to improve would be the reception on our TV--very grainy and I doubt HD picture quality. We stayed planted at the pool and loved the 3 towering water falls that gave us a Spa like-Resort feel even in the heat. The staff at the Firesky are top-notch; friendly, approachable and helpful without being insincere. The service around the pool was quick and the drinks and food were not compromised with being delivered in such extreme elements. We roasted marshmallows at night and made smores--which brought us back to childhood--something Adults need to feel on vacation. We did not get a chance to dine in the restaurant, but ate plenty of food from the kitchen, which was delicious. 2 restaurants that I highly recommend off the property and close to the Hotel are: Daily Dose for Breakfast and the WildFish Grille. I liked the entire vibe of the resort and i have to compliment Kimpton Hotels for creating it. If we could add 1 more amenity to the property it would be covered parking. Your car gets smoking hot and for those of us from more mild climates--a hot car can be hinder any excursions. Try this Hotel next time you have to stay in the valley of the sun---you will not be disappointed!

1 Thank Hilary P
Reviewed August 16, 2010

The Firesky resort has the WOW factor. From the moment I stepped out of the car from the airport to the moment I left, I felt like taking a break from the real world and stepping into pure bliss. The grounds and lobby are beautiful, rooms are nice and have a balcony, service is over-the-top friendly and accomodating, restaurant has fantastic food, and the pools are pure paradise. I was constantly surprised by their level of service. There was coffee in the morning in the lobby, wine in the afternoon. Complementary rides in the red Escalade to the mall. I can hardly think of anything negative about this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Jacob S
Jackson, MS
Reviewed August 15, 2010

This is the best hotel in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. My wife and I stayed in Scottsdale for 90 days. I wish we would have found the FireSky sooner!!! We had the privilege of staying at this Kimpton property for 39 nights. The General Manager, Jim Hollister, is the most customer oriented person I have ever met. Jim really understands what customer service is and made our stay the best part of our trip. We chose Kimpton Hotels for our vacation to California because of his willingness to help and friendly disposition.

The Firesky has a perfect location for shopping, restaurants and nightlife. They offer a wine hour with great conversation and atmosphere along with and free shuttle service within a few miles of the hotel. Parking is free and the rooms are perfect for business or leisure travel. The pool and bar are phenomenal for relaxing. The food at Taggia (the hotel restaurant) is pricey but worthwhile considering most of the ingredients are organic.

The hotel staff was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. This was the best home away from home that we could have asked for. Great value and we felt like part of the Kimpton Family.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank calebcannon
CherylMartin, Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
Your heartfelt testimony is so appreciated. The staff at the FireSky agrees with you on Jim Hollister, our General Manager. He is a genuine caring leader that continues to be the example to emulate. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and I sincerely thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels.
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed August 14, 2010

The FireSky is smaller than many of the mega resorts in town which is what adds to the boutique feel of this property. The grounds are lush and lovely, with cozy seating areas throughout. The pools are very nice and there were a few kids that seemed to really be enjoying the "beach" entrance to the smaller pool. They have a complimentary wine hour (sangria too!) in the evenings and coffee bar in the mornings. After reading trip advisor reviews I was slightly hesitant about the rooms and was pleasantly surprised when I opened the door to our room. It was modern, clean and comfortable. The walk in shower was large and had strong water pressure and the bed gave me one of the best nights sleep I ever had. Loved the leopard print robes and aveda products. Our room overlooked the pool area and it was really nice (even in August) to sit out on the balcony in the adirondack style chairs and enjoy the ambiance. However, I did feel sorry for the guests with rooms that don't face the interior of the property. For me this made a huge difference and I would definitely recommend requesting an interior facing room or you might be on your balcony overlooking the back parking lot instead of the gorgeous grounds. Also, the location is great for shopping, dining and nightlife in Old Town.

Nebraska
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We spent 3 days at FireSky last week and had an awesome time. We have two children, ages 12 and 7, they thouroughly enjoyed the pools. The location is great for shopping and eating, and the staff was very willing to drive us wherever we wanted to go, although we chose to walk most places. The rooms are typical hotel rooms, at least the one we stayed in. It was a nice room, just nothing unique. Overall we had a great time, we just wanted a relaxing get-away before the kids went back to school and that's what we got.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family