“VERY pleasantly surprised”

The Scott Resort & Spa
Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 23, 2006

We went to the Caleo the last weekend of October. It was really our only choice, as we were going for a wedding to be held on-property. I had read many, many reviews on this site and was pretty worried, to be honest....and I was very pleasantly surprised! The lobby is very hip, cool and mediterranean, I liked the decor a lot (it's mostly re-done, but not totally finished). From previous reviews I was concerned about noise, smell, a dark room, no air conditioning, etc. I have to say that it was lovely. OUr room was pretty standard, but nicely done, and it was nice and light. No smells, air conditoner worked great, the staff was VERY friendly. We had two meals there (wedding and a brunch) and they were both very tasty. The on-siter wedding person was EXTREMELY nice and helpful and attentive. It's true, Scottsdale Road is a little noisy but I only noticed when I wanted to nap in the daytime. It wasn't too bad at night...and hardly their fault. The grounds were lovely. Two other things - I did leave an item in the room that was not found, but they were very attentive in their response to me. Also, as soon as we got home I had an email from them asking me to rate my visit and ask for comments. I filled it out and got a PERSONAL email from the manager of the hotel (it specifically addressed some of my comments, so it wasn't a form letter...) which I thought was a very, very nice follow-up to the visit. :)

If you have any concerns (like I did), they are pretty much unfounded. It might have been a mess a year ago but they seem to be working hard to make it nice now.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank leahsari
There are newer reviews for The Scott Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 7, 2006

I hate that others had less than favorable things to say about the Caleo, because we too stayed for a conference and were treated like royalty. Everybody from grounds keepers to bartenders were anxious to help. They were right, the guys at the front door were extremely efficient and helpful and yes, some restaurant wait staff could have been a little more congenial perhaps, but we can't all be on top of our game everyday, regardless our profession.
Bethany and the staff at the spa went out of their way to cater to my wife and provided her with an exceptional experience. We would go back because of them, if for no other reason.
Yes, there was a little outside noise and yes, you do have to wind through the grounds to get to some rooms, but it's a beautiful tour, so it was hardly an inconvenience. A half-dozen staff asked if we needed assistance with the bags, which had I chosen to part with an extra $5, would have alleviated that problem altogether and the trip through the grounds would have been uneventful.
The thing that impressed me about the staff was their sincere appreciation when offered their gratuity. These were hard working men and women who recognized and appreciated being appreciated; which they were.
R. Davis
New Mexico

Stayed: November 2006
3  Thank Seabee_1950
Reviewed October 29, 2006

The setting is lovely but the service is absolutely horrible. During my stay, it took an hour to have room service delivered. After my stay it took over a week to resolve an issue with accounting despite repeated attempts on my part.

There are too many other great options in Scottsdale - dont stay here.

Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank Carol1216
Reviewed October 23, 2006

I stayed at the Caleo for three days last week while attending a conference. I have to second many of the other comments here, including the strange smell in the halls and room. I had a room with a patio overlooking a busy street and the traffic noise started around 6 a.m. -- no way to deaden the sound.

I thought the rate was a poor value - $229 plus tax plus gratuities for housekeeping and the bell staff, which I didn't even use. The buildings are individual and grouped around the pools so you either drag everything through the pool area or drive around to the back, then lug bags up the stairs if you are on the second floor.

I ordered breakfast the first day and never got the drink I ordered, I finally helped myself from the continantal breakfast service set up for my conference. After that I skipped the hot breakfast and just had the muffins.

The desk staff was very friendly, as were the guys at the door. The waitress in the restaurant not so much. They did have a few amenities that high end hotels usually don't have for free, such as a complimentary NY Times, in-room coffee and free wireless. Other than that, it was nothing special. The pools and common areas were lovely but otherwise, eh.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank yorkistrose
Reviewed October 8, 2006

I feel compelled to write a review since I love Trip Advisor and use it on every vacation we go on. The hotel was nice and loved the southwestern feel. Great location and the 3 mile radius free shuttle was great. Thanks to Jaren, Matt, Mike and Ron for packing us around and giving us great tips on restaurants, bars and fun places. Quiet atmosphere with lovely folage and pool. The food was great and a real plus to have it delivered poolside.
I went as a annual girls trip for the weekend and it was great.
Nice touch with free wine from 5-6pm. Wish they had beer too.
A few disappointments: No elevators if you are on the second floor, the hallways had a strange odor (?air freshener, musty)
The grounds could of been cleaner for $250/night. Lots of debris by the pool and on the pool deck. We did lots of shopping at Fashion Square Mall, Old Town and went bar hopping in the 5th avenue district (great fun!). We went to the "Spa at Camelback" at the Marriott and it was fabulous. Best spa we have ever been!
We go spa jumping yearly and know the variety.
Overall, I would be back and would definately go back to Scottsdale. Beautiful desert and great weather.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank DDCRABB
Reviewed October 6, 2006

We were overjoyed to suddenly discover that Kimpton had finally made it to Arizona! we are Mesa residents who needed a weekend getaway, and decided to give our Loyalty Membership another fling. Yes, the Caleo is under renovation, and it is MAJOR...there were plenty of logistical things wrong while we were there for just one night, but there was SO MUCH that was right. A hotel chain can throw all the money in the world at a property, but that doesn't guarantee a human touch. the Caleo practically hums with great service. The front desk "baby-sat" our doggie twice during our stay and they were so sweet to him! I've never seen my husband tip so graciously; he was impressed with their stellar attitude. Reservations were a breeze, check in was easy; as Loyalty members we rec'd the usual perks...
Yes, there were some glitches in our room: the shower didn't drain very fast, and the AC was North-Pole-cold. but room service was lightning-fast, the concierge was super friendly and ALWAYS available, and the grounds are lovely. Jurlique Spa was wonderful too.
Let the Caleo finish its transition and start to really show that Kimpton touch. The restaurant should be open soon and we will venture over just for that, and will definitely take another escape with the dog in the next few months. Can't wait to see what kind of magic will be happening there!
oh, and yes, a courtyard room is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Merlekins
Reviewed September 26, 2006

With some trepidation from reading other reviews, my husband and I stayed in this resort for 3 nights at the end of September. Bare in mind, it is undergoing extensive renovation for the snowbird season, 2007, but we were not disappointed. First off, the location is killer: right across from the Scottsdale Fashion Square. I could walk to the mall if I wanted (but they have a shuttle instead). The hotel food is upscale, delicious, and beautifully prepared. There's no need to go down the street to other restaurants. Truly. Hang out by the pool and relax. Room service is delivered pronto by a friendly staff who understand and respect teamwork. There's free (strong!) coffee in the lobby in the morning and complementary wine in the afternoon--choose either a white or red! And the rooms, although small, all have terraces and are amply provided with Aveda products and plentiful towels. The rooms are a bit cave-like, but no one spends much time in them with an outside oasis of 2 pools (one with a sandy bottom!) only steps away! The Jurlique Spa speaks for itself and has a fantastic array of soaks and scrubs. For runners, the Arizona Canal is 1/4 mile away and provides a dirt running surface and few cross streets. Give this new property a try; you'll be glad you did. It's sure to be a gem in subsequent years.

Stayed: September 2006