“Good relaxing weekend”

The Scott Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 22, 2009

First of all, I read all the reviews before I left and was a little worried. When I found out it was a Kimpton Hotel, I was expecting chic modern and to be impressed. Now this is not a new modern chic hotel, it is a renovated previously owed hotel. It is not that bad. If you are use to dropping money for the best Scottsdale has to offer, there are higher priced hotels you can stay at. If you are looking for a deal, but want some bang for your buck...go here. It is a very nice hotel that my friend and I were very happy we picked. Please do yourself a favor and get the stone massage. You will feel like jello when you get out. Don't bother with any of the other treatments. You will regret it. The reviews about the staff is all true. You are on vacation...try to chill out. They have no idea what they are doing. Slow is not even the word for the slug pace they did things in. From bring the towels to the pool to checking you out at the spa. FYI: if you anticipate their slow service and you are not in a hurry on your VACATION, then you're going to enjoy yourself. Note: this is not a full spa...no locker room, no sauna, etc. Also, if you are in your 20-30s you must hit the W hotel. Shoes are the biggest attraction...bring your best and show them how it's done! Enjoy:)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank skilledtraveler
There are newer reviews for The Scott Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 16, 2009

First let me say that my boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the FireSky and I would recommend it to my friends. With that said, I would also like to comment on some of the other reviews…Yes, if you are thinking of a resort as something away from the city adjacent to a lake or a golf course, then FireSky would not qualify. It is a beautiful property in a pretty busy part of Scottsdale (not that Scottsdale is really that busy). But that is what is nice about it, it is close to everything, so if you want to go out and do things you are nearby shopping, hiking, attractions etc… but you can still enjoy the beautiful pool, spa, restaurant and bar on the property and not know you are in town. The other thing I would mention is that you need to make sure you get a garden or pool view. There are rooms that have balconies that face the parking lot/other buildings. If I had paid the full price rate for the room and had that view, I would be upset. The staff was all great, we had a couple of very minor problems with our room (ie the safe didn’t work) we called the front desk and someone was there to fix it right away. One night we came home with leftovers from a very expensive steak dinner. The next morning I called the front desk and they gladly heated all our leftovers and we had a steak and salmon breakfast by the pool! The room itself was very nice, comfortable beds, good linens, and a nice balcony. The pool area was beautiful. Every night they had a complimentary wine reception and the bar had half price appetizers. Although we had a rental car, we took the free shuttle (not really advertised at the hotel, read about it on tripadvisor. Thanks for that tip!) to dinner each night, and it was very convenient. One night the shuttle took us to a restaurant and it was closed. The shuttle driver immediately took us to a similar restaurant, which was perfect. I really felt like the staff went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. We took advantage of the half price deal at the spa and each got a massage. It was great! I felt that the Firesky was a good value. We had a great time and I would go back again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank divegirl26
Reviewed June 11, 2009

We are veterans of this property, having come here for 12 straight years and experiencing it through three different ownership groups. Since Kimpton purchased this property, the FireSky has gotten better year after year. We come each year with our growing family and it is great for adults and children (i.e. great bar area for adults, a nice spa too; and great beach pool for kids). The grounds and vegitation are breath-taking; some of the most established trees and shrubs you will see around a resort pool anywhere. The rooms have recently been remodeled (again) and are very elegant.

Alhough the food and beverage service has previously been uneven, this year they hit the mark: Good breakfasts outside on the patio (expensive, yes, but you are on vacation) and they have a great lunch service as well. Cocktails are prepared on weekdays by Bennie the bartender, who has been there for almost 25 years. Many of the other staff have been there for years too, an indication of a well-run facility. They need a larger selection of lunch items and a poolside grill would be a nice touch, but the kitchen is very accommodating if you request something different.

Due to the location, value, staff, food, bar, rooms; and mostly the pools and hot tub, there is no reason not to enjoy the FireSky! We will back for year 13 next year and highly recommend it for anyone with or without kids.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank EmeraldCityReviewer
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Just recently returned from 9 days at this establishment in the heart of Scottsdale. We've stayed at another hotel in the same group and it has the same kind of style and ambience. The rooms are nice with the most comfortable beds I've ever experienced. There is free tea and coffee in the mornings and free wine in the afternoon.

The grounds are nice with 2 pools - which do get a bit crowded with "college kids" at the weekend but overall a very nice experience.

only 2 gripes - the towels in the bathroom are quite skimpy and a mix-up at the spa meant I had a 20 minute hurried facial which left me more stressed than when I went in rather than the leisurely 50 minute treat I was expecting. To be fair, they didn't expect me to pay but it did spoil the stay rather.

Staff all very friendly, no other complaints at all.

Overall a very stylish and enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsMaldives
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We have to spend every other weekend in the Phoenix area and this is our absolute favorite place to stay. The overall feeling of the hotel is relaxed and tranquil. In our visits here, we have not had a single complaint about any aspect of our visits. I love to lay by the pool in one of the areas that is set away from the edge of the pool so that it's a little more relaxing. And the balconies are awesome-the Adirondack chairs just swallow you and keep you there for hours in the late nights. Love, love, love that the pool is 24/7 as we don't often return at night until most hotel pools are closed. Bottom line-it does not get any better than this.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CachingFanatic
Reviewed May 25, 2009

For the price we managed to get through hotels.com this was an amazing venue. As a group of travellers using anything from super 8 to the hilton range we were amazed to find this venue. Great rooms, great pools, great staff and an AMAZING restaurant. This was the best of our trip! Now I guess if you are used to staying in the Westin as a cheap nights stay then you will find fault but for us it was just perfect.

The gym is perfect size for the venue. The pools were perfect - loving the real sand! See my review of the restaurant for more on that!

So break away from the brand name chains and try this wee chain!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mac W
Reviewed May 24, 2009

I stayed at this resort for a week during May 09 and have to say that it was very very nice. The decor of the lobby, rooms and the layout/design of the pool and restaurants is excellent and very opulent. Thoroughly enjoyed the stay, especially the double poolside cabinas which were very comfortable, with excellent service and bar, wifi access and a nicely laid out pool.
Ate at the restaurant a couple of times and was very happy with the food and service. Generally the staff are helpful, pleasant, housekeeping is prompt and unobtrusive and the property deserves it's high ratings on here.
One thing I'll say is that the food and drink is very highly priced, the minibar was unusually expensive and it would have been nice to have free wifi - as is standard these days.
Overall no complaints, we had a very relaxing time - Scottsdale is a very high-end tourist area so eating out was expensive but I can recommend Salty Senorita for Mexican food as well as the Breakfast Club for.. well, breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chilldoubt
CherylMartin, Assistant General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2009

Hello Childoubt 2 contributions,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the FireSky Resort and sunny Scottsdale! I apologize that our staff did not inform you of the free wifi program. If you join our Guest Loyalty Program, Kimpton InTouch, online at no cost to you, we provide free wifi at all Kimpton properties. There is also a password the front desk will provide if you do not want to join. We should have communicated that to you. Thank you again as we appreciate our guests taking their personal time to review us and we hope you return.