“Our second visit”

The Scott Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We were here in November and really enjoyed the hotel so we decided to stay again.
For the most part everything was great. Our room didn't get cooler than 69 and we are spoiled Midwesterners who keep our house on 66 most of the year, so we went to Target and bought a fan and that seemed to solve the issue.
As in other reviews the pool is pretty crowded but I only visited from about 8:30 to 9:30 and that was enough sun for me so I'm not sure how hard it is to get chairs otherwise.
Love the complimentary coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. However, we love to sit outside and it would be great if there were fans or misters, we were surprised that there were none. I am a smoker (and a courteous one at that), the bartender has the ashtrays but one night a female bartender told me that I had to go to one of the far tables down the path when no one else had said that so it was a bit confusing.
All in all our visit was enjoyable, the rooms are clean but I have to agree with another reviewer that said something about the bathroom area. Ours had an odor in that area and we bought some Clorox wipes to clean up for ourselves. I'm sure had we called it would have been taken care of, we just took it upon ourselves to clean up. We too took things out of the mini fridge so that we could fit our own water & drinks.
The staff is great, no complaints whatsoever. We have decided to stay north on our next visit but we will be back some time.

Room Tip: We have had rooms on the first floor both times. There is no elevator so we haven't had to deal...
2  Thank Tinabear
CherylMartin ., General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Please, please give us a call if you do not feel your bathroom is clean. We take great pride on providing a clean environment and I don't want you to have to clean behind us. I am happy you enjoyed your stay though.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We're not ones for sun-bathing or swimming in crowded places; in any case, it was really too hot (106F) to be outside, so we were happy to stay in the cool of the room. We were there two nights before flying back to the UK. The room itself was a good size and well equipped. The public areas are extensive but there's no coffee shop - it's the restaurant or nothing if you want to eat. The concierge service is also minimal. It's not a hotel we'd choose to go back to but it did the job. If you care about your car, beware the bird droppings. When we left, the car looked as though it had been in a bird storm!

Room Tip: No lifts, so ask for ground floor, if this matters to you.
1  Thank TomNorthYorkshire

My apology for the birds bombing your car. Those creatures of mother nature can be quite the nuicsance and I am committed to finding solutions. They love our lush oasis also. I do hope you would come back in the future.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

People are helpful and smiling. Good food and service at the restaurant. Ask for the Smores kit and make you a smore sandwich in the fire... Miam Miam. The pool seem nice but didn't have the time to try! The room are clean. You can have very good coffee (hot or cold) in the lobby in the morning and complimentary wine between 5 and 6 PM! They offer a free shuttle 3 miles around the hotel. They have bike you can use free if you want. We had a great deal with hotel.com. The hotel accept pet too. The lobby is chic and beautiful!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
CherylMartin ., General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Nice review. Thanks and we look forward to seeing you agian.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Being ranked number 18 i was tempted to look for a better hotel for my 3 night stay in Scottsdale but i'm glad i didnt.
Easy to find, easy check in and the room was spacious, clean and well equipped.
The pool area was lovely and was grateful for the free iced water.
Free tea and coffee in the morning was appreciated and i heard they did Wine Happy Hour which i didnt get to sample but the iced flavoured water in the lobby was a nice touch. I especially enjoyed the one with cucumber.
We had breakfast in the restaurant every morning and was not dissapointed (altough the oatmeal was quite bland but i think thats an English thing!). The portions were larger than expected and the toast was lovely.
Staff pleasant!
Recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Thanks for staying with us and thanks for the wonderful review. See you back soon

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed here 3 nights with my husband. We were here on business, we live in Tucson and travel to Phoenix about 2x a month for my husband's job and decided to give this hotel resort a try, we are looking to find the "home away from home" hotel to stay at often. I enjoy staying in the Scottsdale area.

The room, 553:
The room was my least favorite part of the hotel. The room for the most part was clean, and a simplistic design. The beds were very comfortable and the sheets are nice&soft. The pillows were SO lumpy and/or flat. I liked that the bathroom had a counter with a bowl sink, pretty granite and faucets, and another separate plain counter for makeup and hair. I didn't see any mold in the shower. However, the floor around the toilet and behind the door were yellow-orange stained (on white/light grey tile). The toilet took 3x to flush each time. The shower faucet drip leaked the entire length of our stay. There is a small fridge in the room, but it's the tiniest fridge I've ever seen! lol :-) It's filled with $5 water,expensive :-( and $4 soda cans, unhealthy :-( I took all that stuff out so I could put other stuff in. There is no coffee maker in the room unless you request it. There is an outdoor patio with 2 Adirondack chairs and a little end table between to share. Guests are allowed to smoke outside on their balcony, which I definitely am ok with, and don't have a problem with because there are far more annoying things that can occur from other guests in a hotel (i.e.loudness), plus I think it's rude for other hotels to tell a guest to go off property to smoke. This hotel was quiet for the most part. I called room service twice during my stay. Both times every item I wanted was out of stock, about a list of 5 different items. So I couldn't order anything I would have liked, and so I left and went to some other local restaurants. Very inconvenient, especially because I frequently would have ordered room service. I also asked for some items from the front desk, none were delivered to my room :-( The rooms are like 2 story motel style. Stairs, no elevator.

The hotel:
The lobby is absolutely amazing. Perfectly decorated very chic, Love it, beautiful!!! There is complimentary wine hour from 5-6 :-) I went to the front desk several times, and they are all so sweet!! Seriously everyone was so nice to me!!!! (I think that's very rare at hotels, so I appreciated this very much!!) This was also the first hotel I've ever stayed at where I didn't have to argue upon checkout about the bill for over charging nights or not having the correct room rate. Everything was correct on my bill. THANK YOU for knowing what you're doing. This hotel also accepts pets with no pet fee or deposit, which is GREAT because I always travel with my maltese, I do not have any kids.
The gardens and grounds of the hotel are beautiful, I really enjoyed walking my dog around, and was glad that there are little pet stations around. Lovely trees and beautiful flowers, sculptures, waterfalls, etc. There is a shuttle that can take you to closeby places and pick you up if you call them to get you. Very nice.

The pool:
The pool is large, with part of the pool having a sandy "beach" to enter the pool, and scattered rock water falls around the pool. There is an outdoor bar. Get to the pool early, like 7-8am early, because if you go after 9am, it will be COMPLETELY full. There aren't enough lounge chairs, seating, canopy beds, or towels to accommodate the amount of people that were there. The worst time to go is between 10-5pm. I didn't get to enjoy the pool until the day of checkout when I actually could go to the pool and claim a chair at 7am. By 8am the pool and lounge chairs were half full, and no more towels were available. The pool is gorgeous at night. After 5pm when people clear out for dinner, there is more space available to relax there. They have lavishly decorated the outside nicely with beautiful lights and fire torches and huge trees.

The restaurant:
The restaurant was Taggia. The ambiance is nice both indoors and outdoors. We went here 1 night for dinner and another night for drinks. We sat outside overlooking a fire pit and the pool and all the pretty lights! Really nice!! Both nights there were only 3 tables taken, including our table. The rest of the restaurant was completely empty. Pretty quiet relaxing intimate settings. They have a great wine/sparkling wine menu. My only complaint is there were no vegan options, and only salad and pizza for vegetarian options. I pretty much just ate the bread, and the salad with beets (minus the cheese). But it was a good salad. Service was excellent! Both times I really enjoyed my servers, very nice, sweet, personable, talkative. My servers recommended their favorite wines and sparkling wines, and they were excellent!

All in all, I would consider staying again. The biggest problem was the room and room service, and so I would probably want to upgrade to a better room or possibly a suite, rather than a standard room. Hopefully the room service food issue gets taken care of, so they don't run out of stock. Also, I wish the restaurant would consider expanding it's vegan/vegetarian entree options so I don't have to go elsewhere to eat. Now that I know the rules of the pool, I'll go early :-) Thank you!!

I am going to Phoenix in 3 weeks again.

Room Tip: Top floors have a balcony, bottom floors have a patio. If you don't choose poolside or courtyard...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank missmelissaleah

Thanks for all the details. I will be sure to share with my team the Loves and the Not Loves. We continue to improve and will address.

Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights, wonderful get away. We had courtyard room. I' m not a dog person and many guests had pets but no problem with smells or noise and animals more well behaved than children. Very clean, nice pool.Be sure to go to old town and fashion mallWe rented a car and drove to Sedona. Hotel has courtesy bus. Guest services excellent.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thanks for taking time to write to Trip Advisor. Appreciate it.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

This was our second visit in less than 2 months. This Eco friendly, ie: Low Air Conditioning hotel is only comfortable depending on the season. We decided to book another staycation at what was our Pet Paradise, in the SPRING. Our room was so hot we called for maintenance 4 times. Each time he came he said it was fixed. The room never cooled more than 1 degree. The thermostat was uncalibrated, even on our (VIP) setting, if you want a cool room DO NOT stay here in the summer. We had two fans running, one we went out and bought and one we were finally provided at 11:15 PM. We are from the desert and know our heat. What a shame our hotel could not provide us with comfort. We contacted several managers and the Asst. Richard Ness refused to help fix our problem. He kept saying he would repair our room or move us to a cool room, but the hotel was booked and who wants to keep packing their room up to move. Thank goodness we booked thru EXPEDIA ELITE. They helped us take care of our difficult situation and we exited our 3 night stay after just 1 night. May I never have the FIRESKY pleasure again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

This is embarrassing to read and I hope you will accept my apology. I am aware of your situation through Richard and confirmed our Director of Operations also contacted you and credited back your stay. If you would like to speak any further about this, as this story has changed a bit, you are welcome to contact me.