“great resort!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
SF
“great resort!”
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I had a girls weekend here and we all had a wonderful time. Staff was very accomdating and helpful.

The rooms are newly remodeled, spacious and comfortable. Every room has your own patio.

The resort has many areas with shade or sun, lots of misters and plenty of lounge spaces inside and out.

We had an excellent weekend and will be back, no doubt.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Netherlands
Reviewed August 13, 2008

We stayed at the Firesky for 2 nights during our holiday, and we liked the hotel very much. We got a room in the 400 buiding, ground floor, with a patio to the very nice garden. The room was OK, only the mattresses where old and worn (you were sleeping in a hole). The staff told us they were replacing the furniture, but we seem to have gotten an older room (or at least older beds). The dinner in the restaurant was very good, as was the wireless internet in the room.

• Liked — Garden and pools
  • Disliked — The beds.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Arizona
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We are Arizona residents and an overnight stay at Firesky was given to us as a gift. It's a smallish hotel--very Southwest in design, very plush, the staff is friendly and accomodating. The rooms are large and spacious and the robes in the rooms are lepord print--what fun!
The downside was our room was very dark--the only windows are a set of french type double doors that don't let enough light in. some of the rooms have french door plus windows--be sure to get the ones with more windows. We were on the first floor--a "pool view" room #220. You cannot see the pool because of fencing and vegitation and you could not walk from your patio to the pool. I'f you want a "pool view" be sure you're on the second floor. I'd recommending avoiding rooms 216-222. It was impossible to enjoy the patio due to the noise of the pool motors from an enclosure that is between these rooms and the pool.
The wine reception is between 5-6PM and it featured one of our favorite red grapes--Melbac. Unfortunately the wine was of poor quality--we sampled the whtie and it wasn't much better.
We ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was excellent and well priced.
We were surprised that there were no disposible shower caps in the rooms. A nice touch was that some of the rooms had a bowl with goldfish--ours didn't and I don't know what it is that gets you goldfish.
The fitness center is small but has good equipment. The first day there was chilled bottled water on ice as well as a water dispenser. The second day there was no water in the water dispenser and no bottled water either.
All in all it was a pretty good stay--i don't know what it cost since it was a gift so I can't comment on the value.

• Liked — nice pool area
  • Disliked — dark room, pool motor noise on patio
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank asfem
Scottsdale
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Spending the day at Firesky’s spa, Jurlique, was the perfect getaway to escape the stresses of life and work. I had an amazing time and it was very relaxing. The staff made me feel welcome and were very attentive to my needs. I cannot wait to go back and try all of their different massages and facials.
Alison

• Stayed June 2008
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I frequently stay at Kimptons and am a top-tier member, but this was my first, and last, time staying at the Firesky. Despite checking in at 2 pm, and having a nearly-empty resort, my room was not ready. When they finally called me to go to my room, I get to a dirty - not vacuumed, dirty sink, shower, no shampoo, etc - room. When I was unpacking my room, the Housekeeper came in and took all the booze from the minibar, without an explanation. Once again I complained. Mgmt apologized and said it would restock the bar - but never did so throughout my trip. So once again I complained to management and rather than sending someone right away to clean or put me in a new clean room, they instead send up a bottle of wine. Get a clue Kimpton - even drunk the room was still dirty and lacked stuff in the minibar!!! The AC unit was terribly loud. I am not sure how one sleeps with this noisy unit that rattled and whirred. My complaints did me nothing.

While the bed was comfy, the TV had a big scratch on the screen (again I complained to mgmt but they did nothing), there were crumbs, and a lack of towels. Every lamp shade was askew, and the furniture was cheesy - better at a Super 8!!!!!!

My experience at their restaurant was also terrible. I ordered the rib eye, which was so fatty and tough I had to send it back. then they gave me a stringy overcooked filet. The pizza was soggy and bland, and it took forever to even get a water refill. all of this despite having a near empty restaurant. The following night the chef redeemed himself slightly with a nice pork dish, although overcooked the sauce was flavorful.

So if you are looking for outdated decor, dirty rooms, mediocre food and poor customer service the Firesky is your motel. Otherwise don't waste your money, even in the slow season when it is dirt cheap. This stay challenges my loyalty to Kimpton.

• Liked — Free parking
  • Disliked — Everything else was terrible
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
5 Thank ChicagoLobbyist
Boulder, CO
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I was a bit worried reading the reviews as people loved it or hated it. I just spent the weekend and was very pleased. Things were fine overall, and the staff was very pleasant and very responsive. I had a problem with a rattling air conditioner and a lock, and they sent someone up within minutes to fix everything. What more can I ask?

aberdeen scotland
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I was a bit concerned at the 'motel' references in other reviews after we booked but have to say I really liked the Firesky. The staff were very friendly and helpful which definately added value. Whilst you could see that the hotel had previously been a motel it had been very well renovated. I had stayed at a Kimpton before so had joined the intouch programme and was pleasantly surprised to get a letter at check in telling me to help myself to 2 items from the mini bar free of charge. Unfortunately I was charged for one of these after checkout but a quick call has led to a refund.

Poolside meals were excellent and different from the usual fare. Good value roasted veg panini and chicken skewers. Didn't manage to partake of the wine reception but did use the free transport to and from the nearby mall /restaurants - walked the first night but it was 115 degrees so took the car the next.

Differences were the sandy beach, the goldfish (Sparks) who was our in room pet, the L'Occitane toiletries and the 'bubbles' left for us one night.

Would definately recommend. Oh and they matched a travelzoo offer for me.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family