“Wrong from the start”

The Scott Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I will never return to a Kimpton Hotel. We entered into a beautiful lobby and greeted by front desk staff. However, that went downhill when we went to our room! We discovered it was not "our" room, the room was for a man celebrating his 80th birthday, complete with a bottle of wine, chocolates, and champagne... We received a call from the manager and he was pleasant and willing to work with us in an awkward situation.
The pool was small and seating was very limited. The fitness center was small and the air conditioning was horrible. We did not even attempt to utilize the spa...
The original Manager that quickly responded was polite and apologized repeatedly, and offered us a free night if we would return. But shortly after our stay he was no longer working at this hotel and Cheryl Martin took over the situation. Cheryl Martin was unprofessional and rude, and because of her attitude, I will not return to Kimpton Hotels.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Anna H
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

I am embarrassed and speechless. I would like to speak in person if you would consider it. I never meant to upset you in any way and it appears my messaging was wrong and not my intent. I am sincerely sorry that you feel I was rude. I love what I do and feel horrible right now that because of me, you are so upset. We do make mistakes, but we never stop caring and usually find ways to overcome our shortfalls. I hope you give me another chance.
GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,895)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My fiance and I were looking to get out of town (Tucson) for a night, and really wanted to bring our two dogs along. As always, this proved to be a challenge as few hotels will let us bring 2 dogs, and even fewer will allow 2 BIG dogs, and those that do charge exorbitant fees ($50 per night per dog on average). We were leaning heavily towards FireSky because of their pet friendly policy (no restrictions or fees), but then they sealed the deal with two magic words: BEACH and WINE. I was sold and I was not disappointed. We had an absolutely fantastic time!! The staff was incredibly friendly, even to our dogs, which was a nice change of pace. The grounds were beautiful, especially the pool area, which was absolutely magical at night. There was a great dog park just up the road, which we visited the next morning to tire the pups out before hitting the pool again. We had actually planned to run up to Apache Lake and rent a boat, but decided to get a late check out (complimentary), and soak up some more sun at the pool. We only stayed one night, but we left feeling as relaxed as if it had been a week. The only problem was when I returned home and liked them on Facebook, only to discover there was an $89 special I'd missed out on! If I had known that before, we would definitely have stayed 2 nights. My fault for not doing my homework! We will absolutely be back again... this is our new favorite spot, and we'll be up every weekend we can manage it. Thank you so much for welcoming us and our dogs... we're you're new biggest fans!

Room Tip: Leave the car and walk a couple blocks to dinner. Even in August it was a beautiful night and we enj...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Firesky for five nights and had an excellent experience. The rooms were very well appointed, clean and had good size balconies. The resort is gorgeous, well attended to and very much makes you feel like you are in a tropical paradise. The staff are professional, helpful and accommodating in all ways. We enjoyed complimentary bike usage, wine hour and morning coffee, extras you just don't get everywhere else. I am a well travelled person with reasonably high standards and I say with confidence this is a must stay.... I do not see how any bad reviews could be possible of this fine resort.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Susan748
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel is nice enough and a good location. The rooms are clean and updated. The wine and coffee hours are a bonus. The staff was great. We left my sons favorite stuffed animal at the hotel and did not realize until we got home. Erica in housekeeping went out of her way to get my sons frog home safe.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The only one regret we have about this hotel is that we only stayed one night. For us everything was perfect. A very friendly reception, staff that got us the rooms we needed and a very nice large room. The pool area is beautiful and since staff cleared unused loungers there were always loungers available. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: If you need rest don't book near the pool area. The pool stays open till midnight.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

WOW! Thanks so much for the wonderful review! So next time, remember.....to book a week with us!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We spent only one night in this pleasant hotel, the day we arrived from Europe after a long day travelling. So we couldn't really enjoy the nice environment. Anyway, we liked what we found : a nice place, very welcoming staff, nice and clean room. The restaurant (where we had dinner and breakfast) was nice too. We couldn't stay outside for the dinner (too hot !), but we had breakfast on the terrace : lovely !

Room Tip: Rooms with garden view are vey quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SwissChipmunks
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I gave this hotel three stars for one reason and one reason only....The staff was friendly. The physical property was not up to standard. This is an older building from the 1950s. I like the building and it could have been done very nicely, but they decided to go cheap. They stuck in some new carpet and head boards and called it a day. Even the choice of what was new was not good, but the worst part is they didnt touch the important stuff like the bathroom. It was not good.

The lobby was beautifully done, the pool was great, the property was very pretty on the outside. They just need to put some money into the room interiors and this would be a perfect get away.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vegastravel2000

Thanks for the compliment about my friendly team!! They are quite special and love what they do to take care of our guests. I take your comments to heart about the bathrooms. We are constantly striving to keep our 52 year old property up to date and clean. I appreciate the honest feedback.