“Really wanted to like the place but...”

The Scott Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I chose the Firesky after an extensive search through TripAdvisor for resort hotels in the area. Rated 4.5 out of 5, you can't go wrong, right?

Well, we arrived last Wednesday night and check-in was pretty smooth. When asked for a room upgrade (this only gives you a nicer outside view - parking lot vs nice courtyard) I declined and just asked for a convenient location. We were given room 223 - ground floor room in the back of the property by the parking lot.

So the truth is that the 4 star rating pretty much applies to the public grounds of the property - the pool area, courtyard and concierge/restaurant area. The rooms themselves are 2.5 star - dated and musty smell, no frills. The A/C exhaust is on the loud side but helped drown out the noise from adjacent rooms and hallway, including the barking dogs next door.

As we were in town visiting family & friends, we didn't stay on the property much. The reason I had to rate this 'resort' down to 2 stars is because of the unexpected "visitor" that decided to crawl in the door as soon as we opened it to fill the ice bucket. Yes, my worst fear came true. The resort does have a roach issue like a previous reviewer mentioned.

I contacted the front desk right away and after hearing my complaint, was placed on hold while they decided what to do. I was eventually offered a room upgrade and a $25 food/beverage credit. I suppose the resort tried to be courteous, but I really wanted to know if they were addressing the issue and getting the proper extermination treatments. Even though we moved rooms, I was really hoping for someone to follow up with us but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Overall, disappointing experience but glad other reviewers didn't have our bad luck. I hope the resort does clean up and get rid of their pest issues.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank lynus22
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

I want to assure you that we take "unwanted pests" seriously and have a maintenance program in place to control the outside coming in. Our lush landscape requires careful attention and please know that I care about your concerns. None of us want bugs and we do our absolute best to keep them out. I hope you will accept my apology.
Cheryl

Write a ReviewReviews (1,881)

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our family recently stayed for a few nights as a birthday getaway and really enjoyed our stay- the staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating and the pool area and lobby are both places that are very inviting and comfortable to hang out- especially for the free coffee in the morning and the free wine and sangria in the evening! We have had stay cations in several other Scottsdale resorts (Westin, JW Marriott, Montelucia) and found this resort to have a much friendlier, boutique feel than the others. It is fun to be able to bring our dog as well- the dog friendly room we stayed in was very clean and no evidence of previous dogs!

As a Kimpton member we got a nice discount for my bday and several nice surprises for my bday as well as the free wifi and mini bar $10 that all members get. We have stayed at other Kimpton hotels and they are quickly becoming our favorite for the extras and the smaller friendly resort feel.

The buildings themselves here are obviously an older build, but they have updated the rooms nicely and the pool and lagoon area are fantastic. Queen beds were comfy. Plenty of counter space in the sink/vanity area. Only gripe was the rooms are not very soundproof- we could hear people in the hallway as well as traffic through the sliding glass door quite often. Ask for a room away from Scottsdale rd. and I imagine it would be quieter. Also, be careful where you park as some trees house lots of birds.

Despite these minor issues I still give it 5 stars for the staff , extras, atmosphere, and cleanliness- would recommend it to family and friends!

Room Tip: Try to be further back away from Scottsdale Rd. to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Searched many places to stay in Scottsdale and after reading all the reviews decided on Firesky...based on both the price and reviews. We stayed a Weds-Sunday and it gets a bit more busy on the weekend...most of the pool chairs were taken in the afternoon on Saturday. The resort is very close to shopping and tons of food. The room was nice enough for us, super comfy bed, courtyard view, decent shower. Drink prices were kind of high, especially paying $4 for a can of coke and having them fill a cup with ice, open the can pour about half out and not giving me the whole can. We got smores about every night we were there, not a lot of people knew about this and were super excited when they saw them. The two pools work out well, majority of the young kids stay over at the sandy pool. The resort is deceiving from the outside because once you walk it doesn't feel like you are on the main road. We talked multiple times about coming back with our kids. Would recommend to anyone with or without kids.

Room Tip: Get a courtyard or pool view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days just for a "staycaton". With 2 kids--one teenager and a 6-month old baby--the swimming pool was perfect. We spent most of our time in the 3-foot wading pool with the little sand beach. It's an older property but with a recent renovation, the room was up-to-date with flat screen TV and a well-appointed bath. The lobby is gorgeousl

Taggia's is the hotel restaurant featuring Italian cuisine. A tad pricey but OK for a hotel restaurant. Very tasty pizzas.

The staff was very friendly. They provided a play crib for the baby at no-charge and free shuttle to a local restaurant, although we used our own car.

The courtyard atmosphere gives one the feeling of being really in different world.

A very pet-frendly place, although we opted to leave the dog at home.

Free wi-fi if you join the Kimpton Hotel program.

Room Tip: Of course the balconied rooms facing the pool would be preferred, but we stayed in a patio (lower le...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed at the Firesky from May 4-11. Even before we checked in, our questions were met with action which was great to make sure we had a few extras to keep the kids happy in the room and on the resort.

When booking we read reviews of a number of large resorts and a common complaint is that you have to walk a city block to get to the pool, restaurant or lobby. Firesky could never have this issue, we weren't apprehensive at all with our young ones going back to the room or to the lobby with everything in close proxim. It's a smaller sized property but the lush pools in the centre of the complex don't leave you wanting at all. Two large pools, one with sand entry were big enough for all with lots of room for lounging in the sun or shade. I noted on TA previously about trouble finding chairs which we saw on Friday/Saturday but not otherwise.

The hotel throws in some nice perks to look forward to, wine reception every evening was great, pool toys for the kids upon arrival was a nice touch. Having the firepits turned on every evening was great for us, and the smores kits were a hit with the kids. I wish they told me about the share-bikes parked out front though, I would've used them every day!

I'm not sure on the age of the property but it would seem to have been renovated in the last 7-8 years. The lobby, common areas and pools show it very well, the rooms could use a bit of love though. They were clean and comfortable but didn't have a new feeling that a good reno would give them.

Location - Couldn't be better. We felt like we were in the middle of everything we wanted to get to. Fashion Mall was a block away and so was Starbucks.

Concierge - very helpful. We had a dental emergency and the concierge had a book full of contacts and options for us to try.

Complaints?
- I wouldn't say it's a complaint as to have such a lush jungle environment around the pool is fantastic, but with all those trees come birds. The cabanas seemed to be protected from above but I saw the pool area attendants constantly hosing down the lounge chairs and deck surface. What are those birds eating?
- They could promote the food service more. On our second last day the bartender brought around smoothies for all of the kids, and immediately every family ordered snacks and more drinks. The pizza turned out to be a great wood fired style pie which we would've ordered earlier, probably every day if it were sampled say during the wine reception. They could've gotten a lot more room charges from us if they'd have reminded us.
- While booking it was vague as to whether there was a breakfast included option or not. Make this service more explicity available and we would've taken it.

Room Tip: Next time I'd pay the difference to have a poolside room. Not just a better view than the parki...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed review. I welcome your suggestions and will take them to my team. Hope you plan another trip back soon!
Cheryl

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I found this Kimpton property to be one the nicest hotels I have stayed at over the past year. Grand lobby, beautiful grounds with a nice swimming pool area. Complimentary wine reception in the evenings. Excellent authentic Italian restaurant on property - that served the meal that could rival Tuscany in taste and flavor.

Room Tip: Take a bicycle trip to the Old Town. Bikes are freely available at the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed twice at this hotel during a 16 day trip in Arizona. Smaller resort hotel, beautiful lobby and smaller pool. Had an upbeat feeling with a jazzy music tempo throughout the lobby, restaurant and pool area. Very helpful and friendly staff, room were just ok, but clean and comfortable. Nice touch to let you "raid the mini bar" up to $10 and a complementary glass of wine should you miss the wine tasting at 5pm.

Room Tip: First floor is easier..as there are no elevators
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo