“A decent hotel option -- but not quite a "Resort"”

The Scott Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“A decent hotel option -- but not quite a "Resort"”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We picked the FireSky because our first choice Resort was full -- and frankly the FireSky will stay as a good second choice for us. Yes, the service, the lobby, the free pre dinner glass of wine -- all good. But the rooms were pretty spartan, the restaurant had service gaps, the pool in the middle would have been good for a hotel, but does this place meet the threshold to legitimately call itself a resort?

• Stayed March 2013
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thanks for the review! Glad you enjoyed Manager hosted wine hour, it is always fun to relax with free wine! Hope you come back soon!
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Marion,IA
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We visited Scottsdale for a family vacation in March. We found the property to be very old and dated. The pool area was primarily shaded and the few spots in the sun were taken early. The rooms were small with very little space for a family of 4. We indicated to the front desk that the plumbing in our room had a constant drip all night. Even though the location was great and within close proximity to Old Scottsdale my family ended wanting to switch to a different resort after one day here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry you did not enjoy the resort! The FireSky is 51 years old but we all certainly try our best to keep it clean, updated and beautiful! We do have suites available if your family of 4 needs more room, I think that would give you the extra space to relax.
Pinedale, Wyoming
Reviewed March 14, 2013

At least once a year, we travel to Scottsdale on business. And as have already experienced many of the very fine choices in Scottsdale, this trip, we took a chance at booked at the Fire Sky.

While the property itself is pretty dated and the rooms are old, we felt it was still an excellent experience. The fountains around the pool are quite tranquil and very relaxing in the evening. The complimentary wine service during happy hour was also a very nice touch.

Around 3:00 PM I found myself hungry and wandered into the outdoor seating by the pool. I was quickly greeted not by some snooty wait person like we get in Jackson Hole, but by a real sincere person I believe was named Leonard. He had suggested and arugula salad which has some organic mixed greens, house smoked goat cheese. I had ordered it with shrimp and truffel-honey vinaigrette dressing which is does not come with. To say it was the MOST AMAZING Top 5 salads ever on the planet was an understatement. I even ordered it again 2 nights later as I was up late with a proposal.

Service and hospitality was outstanding even though the property was a little……..”experienced”.

They also provide a courtesy shuttle that will take for any errands, the ball park or pick you up when you get “plowed” at your favorite party spots.

1 Thank Alfontzwyo
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Got there just in time for happy hour, wine and snacks. Great service, pools were beautiful and rooms were very cozy and antique-ish. Wish we could have spent more time at the Fire Sky. We will definately be back. Loved the decor as well!

Kelli

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This hotel is expensive, loud, and the service was terrible. The staff seemed overwhelmed and behaved rudely. I was surprised after reading the other reviews. I was attending a conference and this was the preferred hotel. I was able to change hotels than goodness! I would not stay here again and would not recommend this hotel. Many others at the conference were surprised at the attitude of the staff also.

1 Thank margaret b
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
I am so sorry that you feel we provided poor customer service. I am not used to hearing that and pride myself on having a great team that genuinely cares and consistently provides friendly service that our guests rave about. If you care to share any specific details, I welcome all feedback, the good and the not so good! I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay, I want my guests happy and feel value for the hard earned money spent with us!
New York
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Just came back from a stay here in Feb.
Lobby and pools are very nice. The pools are set up with lots of sitting space, and we're heated.
The staff was friendly.
The rooms are old, and not fancy at all. Very basic. Also had our room right off Scottsdale road, and heard all the noise.
We had a small balcony.
Hotel is set up, so that all rooms are separate from lobby in 4 buildings that surround center.
It didn't feel like a hotel when we were in our room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building closest to hotel lobby. And also one that's a little further away fr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Glad you enjoyed the pools and resort. You can certainly request a different view next you book with us. We have Pool view, Lagoon View and Courtyard view. I agree... sometimes Scottsdale road is busy, but the entire town of Scottsdale is buzzing with baseball spring training and all of the happenings in March. I am sorry the noise disturbed your stay. I hope this doesn't keep you from coming back because we can pick a room away from the road next stay. Thanks for the feedback.
colorado
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I travelled to Phoenix for a medical conference at the Firesky. Their outdoor area is beautiful. The only drawback would be that you really have to be strategic if you want to be in the sun because of all the greenery and trees. That being said, it is just beautiful out there. The fountains and the pool area are gorgeous.
Checking in, the customer service from the Valet/bellman, front desk and concierge were top notch-always helpful and with a smile.
The rooms are beautifully decorated and the beds comfortable. I am a member of their In Touch and with that, you get a $10 minibar credit with your stay-may not sound like much but the membership is free so why not? The housekeeping service was good, rooms were clean and items refreshed as needed.
I took advantage of the spa as we had the afternoon off and it was raining so no pool time :(. The massage was excellent. The spa itself, got very very crowded in the foyer while everyone showed up at the same time for their services. No biggie just seemed a little disorganized.
As a single female when I travel alone I do eat at the hotel restaurants quite a bit. Taggia is a good choice with good food and the wait staff really takes care of you.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool with a balcony are awesome!
1 Thank countrydoc425