“Glorified Super 8 Motel: Fancy Facade/Big Price Tag!”

The Scott Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Valley Springs, CA
“Glorified Super 8 Motel: Fancy Facade/Big Price Tag!”
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Booked two nights here but only stayed one: the accomodationas and service at this "resort" are appalling.

First of all, it is not a resort at all: it is an older property that used to be a typical motel - the kind where you drive your car around the back and find a parking place near your room then haul all your stuff in. Kimpton has refurbed the place with sleek furniture, modern art, tiki torches and thumping background music, and they sell it as totally hip. But it's really just a glorified Super 8 motel.

My husband, teenage daughter and I checked in around 2pm on a Monday; we had reserved a "pool/lagoon view" at a rate of $309/nite. Our room was in the 300 building on the ground floor; the room was actually below the pool, with a "view" of the block retaining wall holding up the pool - all we could see were the legs of other guests travelling to and from the pool.

The room was damp and smelled of mildew and sewage. We immediately called the front desk and asked for another room, but were told they didn't have any other rooms with two queens. We decided to make the best of it, but did track down the manager to let him know we were unhappy with the room. He was all jerky and hyper...I remember thinking "what is this guy on?" He feigned concern, asked our room number and name and we never heard from him again.

We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food was good, though very expensive and the whole atmosphere of the restaurant was a bit on the over-the-top organic side. There was also a sewage smell drifing through the restaurant occassionally (that's organic, I guess)...which I discovered was coming from the lobby restrooms.

After dinner we held our noses until we fell asleep. The main entry doors in our building made a loud clanking sound every time they opened and closed, waking us up several times during the night. In the morning we called the front desk and asked to be moved. The clerk was perky and said "Of course, let me get back to you!" but she never called us back. The next clerk we spoke with was not as perky, and he never called us back either. I had finally had it and talked my family into moving to another hotel. I was concerned that FireSky would ding us for another night because of their cancellation policy, but after I spoke with the "manager" (I think they'll call anyone here a manager), who had to get back to us to let us know if they would charge us or not, she seemed very much in favor of us leaving the hotel. She informed me that we would only be charged for our room, tax, dinner and any other incidentals incurred while we stayed the night in that appalling room, which came to over $500! They genuinely seemed glad to see us go.

I have stayed at other Kimpton properties and had mixed results; some good, some bad, but this place was pathetic! The more time we spent there, the more I realized it was just a typical motel with a fancy facade and a big price tag. We moved to the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess and had a wonderful deluxe pool view room for $10 less per night. No comparison; unlike the FireSky the Princess is pure upscale class. SKIP THIS MOTEL - there are lots of better choices in Scottsdale!

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — Staff attitude, sewer smell in lobby and our room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Kristin C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
Toronto
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Our family ( including kids aged 15 and 12 years old) spent 2 nights at this new hotel.
Having just returned from 5 overpriced days at the old/outdated Westin La Paloma in Tucson ( see separate review ), we were extremely satisfied with this new Kimpton property. We were somewhat concerned before we arrived , given the reasonable price at $284 per night in the centre of Scottsdale.

This hotel is new, freshly decorated, very comfortable and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

The pool area is great. Parking is free and close to your room.

While this hotel is not spread out over many acres like other resorts such as the Hyatt, Princess etc, it comes at a much lower price yet offers very comfortable and modern accommodations.

• Liked — New, clean, bright and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Mission Viejo, CA
Reviewed March 8, 2008

This resort is exceptional.. The service was amazing throughout my stay. I loved the relaxing decor of the room and the ambiance of the overall grounds. I am a picky business traveler with high standards when it comes to clean rooms and well kept grounds. This hotel surpassed my exeptations and I will definitely return to this property again. The restuarant on site has delicious food . I enjoyed a fabulous dinner out on the pation next to a woodburning fireplace...!! I also loved the wine tasting event held in the lobby every afternoon. This is a must stay resort for those looking to visit Scottsdale.

• Liked — The fire pits, delicious restuarant and lobby lounge area
LA
Reviewed February 27, 2008

As I entered the grand lobby, I was impressed by the layout, design, and decor. When I got to my room however, things CHANGED. The room itself was mediocre. It was clean, but VERY plain. I could not tell the difference between this room and a 2 star hotel chain's. In the morning we woke up to a terrible odor and noticed that the bathtub had raw sewage bubbling up from the drain. It was positively dreadful. As I left my room, my route was blocked by more sewage..it was in the carpeted halls...actual feces and toilet paper. This was not only disgusting, it was a health hazard. After waiting several hours, we were finally transferred to another room. The real rub was that we still had to pay for our night's stay-they wouldn't comp it...even with poop in our room!! Overall, the grounds are very nice: pool, gardens, lobby -- all good. The rooms are just nowhere near what I expect for that price. It was like Four Seasons prices for 2-3 star accommodations.

1 Thank stuckinvtown
New Jersey
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Stayed here on a business conference and found the pool area and lobby to be far and away the best features of this hotel.

As other reviewers have stated, although somewhat expensive for a hotel, it is probably not that expensive for Scottsdale. Hence, you should not be surprised if you are not greeted by a cadre of doormen/bellhops/car valets. Instead, I found the service to be friendly, but a bit indifferent. When I arrived, the only outdoor greeter seemed to be a young man who drove off immediately to park a car. I carried my bags in to the front desk and waited several unacknowledged moments before the sole front desk staffer looked up from her desk to greet me in a friendly way. Check-in was otherwise prompt. I was shown a map of the resort and was told that I could valet park my car or self-park it - in which case I could park right behind my unit motel-style and walk in through a side door.

Upon leaving the front desk, I took a stroll through the lobby. The lobby was very tastefully decorated and evocative of the Southwest palette. The fireplace in the center was an especially nice touch.

As stated, my unit was accessible from a row of parking spaces behind the hotel. It seems clear that FireSky is a renovated motel and nowhere is it more clear than in the layout of the rooms and the parking spaces. The rooms are organized into two-story rectangular units with enclosed central hallways, sealed by single glass doors at each end. The second floor is accessed by outdoor steps just outside the hallways. There is a card swipe required to access the hallway doors.

Once inside my room, I found very comfortable bedding, Occitaine toiletries, fairly plush towels, and marble-topped bathroom surfaces with some slight signs of age. The mini-bar and mini-'fridge were well stocked - if you're prone to using such things. There was a fairly standard sized desk and dresser in a tasteful motif. The smallish TV (27 inch, I think) was a bit of a letdown for an otherwise well-renovated motel room, but it did come with a DVD player. Once again, though, it was clear that this hotel had seen rougher days in the past as evidenced by the basic motel-room layout of a standard-sized tub (albeit with an outward-curved shower curtain and full stainless-steel showerhead) and a small external single-sink area.

The next day, I saw the pool area and understood why this resort has reviewed well. It is very attractively decorated and looks to hold lots of space for guests to lounge and relax. If you do not intend to make use of this space, I would recommend finding a cheaper place to stay. The pool area is nice enough to make you forget any misgivings you may have had about the motel-style layout.

The food at this hotel was good, but I did not find it to be great. There are probably better options outside - and FireSky is conveniently located near many dining and shopping choices.

Finally, I did have one pet peeve: At check-in, I received my room key in a holder which read that newspaper delivery would be automatic unless I opted out for a 25-cent credit instead. On both nights of my stay, I did not receive a paper, and had to ask at the front desk each day. (On my day of departure I was informed that I was 'lucky' to be receiving the sole remaining newspaper).

• Liked — Pool, Lobby
  • Disliked — Old-style travel lodge/motel layout.
2 Thank twoadultsthreekids
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed January 31, 2008

I stayed here with my daughter who attends ASU. I was excited to find a nice resort near her college campus. I loved the grounds. Beautiful pools, firepits, etc. Room was nice. Mattresses were not too great to sleep on. The biggest problem was the door. It has a big gap at the bottom, allowing ANY noise in the hallway to come into your room, as well as light at night. For the $350 a night we paid - shouldn't have had that in ANY of the hotel rooms. TIme to re do the doors. Room service they got wrong - didn't bring the coffee or fruit. Had to wait another 20 minutes. If they re do the doors, I would go back. But only for a very short stay - they need better mattresses. Otherwise, I will keep searching for that one great hotel near campus to stay at often.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Midlands
Reviewed January 29, 2008

Great hotel. We swam in the pool with hummingbirds hovering overhead. Our first visit to Arizona and we just loved it. Room was good and enjoyed the whole experience.

• Liked — The pool and garden area with local hummingbirds
  • Disliked — Not an issue - it was all lovely
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family