“Don't go with a family”

Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Alamo, California
“Don't go with a family”
Reviewed April 12, 2007

We booked this this property through "Name Your Price" with Priceline. It was advertised as a priceline "four star" and we paid $150 per night (no resort fee). I definitely would NOT recommend this property if you are traveling on leisure or with a family.

We were with our children. During our stay, there was a large convention in house and the management closed the pool for an entire day (until 2pm). As you can imagine, for children, on Spring Break in the desert, this was disappointing. In addition, the main restaurant which was supposed to be open for lunch and dinner was closed our entire stay. One night we had to eat in the bar area and it was really unpleasant.

I also felt the rooms were okay, but definitely more along the lines of a 2 or maybe 3 star. Definitely musty and the room was dark. I felt the hotel did maintain the grounds nicely and it would have been an acceptable hotel if I were on business alone. But with the main pool closed and restaurant closed it was not a good vacation choice.

The other thing that was really upsetting is that I did complain to the Rooms Division Manager. There was a lack of any response or opportunity to check out early or move rooms or anything... the hotel basically said because we booked through Priceline there was nothing they would or could do. So again, that was a disappointment. I felt the hotel should have offered some concession due to closing the entire main pool and restaurant. I probably won't book again through Priceline because I feel the hotel was really misrepresented by stating it was a four star. It really should be a three star at best.

Overall, I would try and find something better in Scottsdale, especially if you have any leisure time.

• Liked — Location was good in Scottsdale
  • Disliked — Not a family hotel, lack of management response
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank EdenTravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
California
Reviewed April 8, 2007

We booked the Scottsdale Plaza Resort through Hotwire and couldn't have been happier! I thought that because we had booked through Hotwire, we'd get the bottom of the barrel room. I was completely surprised when we walked into our gorgeous room.

First of all, the place is HUGE! There are 5 pools and 3 whirpools. It is so quiet and peaceful there. We never heard anybody through the walls or ceilings.

Our room (410) was beautifully decorated. The decor was Southwest and there were mirrors everywhere. I suspect that has to do with the room being dark and it was. The shower was like being in a cave. However, it was very clean and the minbar was stocked. I don't recommend taking anything from it considering everything costs a lot! The beds were very comfortable.

We decided to spend one day by the pool and went to the Villa Pool. We thought the Main Pool would be too crowded. It was very quiet and we pretty much had it to ourselves. They are sticklers about cleanliness there as the pool maintenance was there several times.

I would highly recommend the Scottsdale Plaza Resort. Their $15 a day amenity fee is a bit stiff but that was included in our hotwire price of $102 a day.

I miss it already!

• Liked — Beautiful grounds and cleanliness
  • Disliked — The price of extras
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Dallas
Reviewed March 30, 2007

I'm a frequent world traveler and found this hotel nowhere near as bad as some previous reviewers. And, I want to let discriminating travelers know what to expect at the same time.

First, you have no worries with the location. Its in the heart of nicer Scottsdale, around all of the other resorts. Old Town Scottsdale is a couple of miles down the road and the neighborhood is upscale.

I found the grounds to be immaculate, the service friendly and competent. There were problems with keys being made for guests when I arrived but the bellboy's keys worked and they brought me my own key within about 15-20 minutes after I arrived.

The only thing "wrong" with this hotel is its decor. The rooms are immense and immaculately maintained examples of hotel/resort rooms from 1980. Cream-colored walls. Cottage cheese ceiling. Color scheme of forest green and peach. Floral bedspreads. Fiberglas bathtub. Envision a very big and very nice guest room in the home of The Golden Girls.

I found the bed sensational. Very firm and great for the back. Yes the air conditioner is under the window and you must close your drapes otherwise people walking by the walkway outside your room can see in. But I found no problem with mold spores etc as others have reported.

So, if you're wanting a grand 5-star, or an ultrahip resort ambience in Scottsdale, this place would probably disappoint you. I guess I'd be upset if I paid top dollar and ended up here. Through Priceline, however, I got a room here for $99 on a night when things were going for $159-300 elsewhere and found it perfectly acceptable. The staff was great, the room was very quiet and the nostalgia was actually a little fun.

And as for the resort fee...I haven't seen it mentioned that includes all gratuities to the staff. My bellman refused to let me tip him for bringing my bags to the room, saying the fee covered that.

So all in all not a place to fear and a great place for older people who don't care about "hip and cool" or those seeking comfortable accommodations and are on a budget.

• Liked — Large rooms, great bed
  • Disliked — Decor is dated
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank wiseconsumer
Bellevue, WA
Reviewed March 22, 2007

We just returned from a girls' weekend in Scottsdale where we stayed at the Scottsdale Plaza.

Location was our top priority and this is in a good spot, right on Scottsdale Road. Everything else was just so-so.

Upon check in, we were able to choose between three different available room locations. We picked the one closest to the pool for convenience. The room was much smaller than it seemed online, and it wasn't as updated as the advertising would have promised. It was dark. Again, not big things since we didn't intend to spend a lot of time there.

The food available at the bar near the pool was mediocre at best. We waited quite a while to get served. When we were, our salads appeared to have been prepared much earlier that day. I think that they do a massive prep in the morning and just throw covers on the salads until serving. They seemed like airport deli food.

The rest of the stay was uneventful. Upon checkout, we saw that the staff had a hard time calculating our bill. (We had refused the optional newspapers.) The desk girl kept going to some back room and getting a manager's help to try and credit us the few dollars. It never did work out right, but we were late and didn't want to quibble over $4.50. Note: the newspapers still arrived at our door every day even though we had asked to skip that.

One other minor thing is that we rented a movie in the room. It was advertised on screen at $7.99, but when we checked out we were charged $10.99 plus tax.

You can see that these things are minor but they added up to be a medicore experience. I think that the resort is aging and that the staff does their best to put up with the complaints by getting us out the door as soon as they can. They should really add the "resort fee" of $15.00 into the price of the room instead of pretending they have a lower room rate than they do.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — needs updating
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
California
Reviewed March 14, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel several times -- an annual convention. So I am disappointed to learn after a years' reprise we're going back.

I'm writing this review to alert you and management that the air conditioning units, the kind that are stuck into the window are old and generate what smells like mold spores.

After my first night in November I had an allergic reaction and severe asthma which caused me to take high dose of antihistamine. My conference goals were diminished as I needed medication to breathe which also put me to sleep.

Most of the rooms, and I have seen several, are of motel quality. With the exception of the pricey villas which are pretty nice but far from four or five star high end deluxe, had this musty smell which seemed to be coming from these air conditioner units. Even if you turn off the unit, the smell is pervasive as it seems to cling to the bedspread and drapes.

I got lucky the last time and was moved to a king bed room with bar. But the towels were just as thin. The bathroom had a fiberglass tub with ciggarette stain. It seemed to have a new bedspread, but I couldn't escape the mold spores.

I was also incensed that there was a mini-bar in every room which was fully packed with their stuff to sell. I couldn't store any of my own personal items. However they did accommodate me and emptied the thing but only after I explained I had to keep my medication there.

Yes the room card keys do expire even as I had requested an hour later check out time. I had to revisit the front desk after I found myself locked out of my room. I had to interrupt my meeting to attend to this.

The place is big and the rooms farthest away from the front desk are the worst as they seem to be the most moldy smelling especially those east facing. The upper rooms are better as they get more light where spores aren't as able to reproduce.

What's more, the room rate for our convention was set much higher than the rack rate advertised online. Since it was a packaged deal, it seemed to be insulting. One would think that a annually recurring event would get a better than rack rate.

This is a convention oriented establishment. If you are attending a function and must stay there I'd advise to be aggressive with the management as they do finally respond. But overall, if I had a choice I would stay elsewhere.

• Liked — Starbuck accross the street
  • Disliked — mold coming from the a/c units
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank V M
Medicine Hat
Reviewed March 13, 2007

We just spent 12 days at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort. We really enjoyed our stay. We were mainly there for Spring Training baseball and the hotel was in fairly good proximity to the ball parks. We had a GPS with our rental car and that helped us get around. The first several nights we stayed in a bi-level suite which was quite roomy, had a nice balcony on the second floor and a patio off the living room on the first floor, also a nice gas fireplace and two bathrooms. Unfortunately we didn't reserve that suite long enough, so were moved to a one bedroom suite (a villa suite). That was nice too, but a little smaller. We had a poolside room, which was really convenient.

The resort is beautifully maintained. The grounds are impeccable, the pools (5 of them) are great and the food is great. My complaints are that there are no kitchens in the suite (not even a microwave -- they claim for "security reasons"), and the whole mini-bar thing other people have mentioned is a pain. We removed items from the mini-bar so we could use the fridge and we DID NOT get charged anything (as a previous reviewer did). Anytime I had to deal with front desk or security or anyone, we had a pleasant experience. All staff was great. The exercise room is really terrific -- lots of machines, plus a racquetball court. The putting green is beautiful and the tennis courts are nice. We didn't use the spa at all. I didn't like the resort fee ($15 per day or the $9.95 for internet use) but you just calculate it into your rate and it compares to other places. I would prefer they include that and quote just one rate.

One thing that is a little unfortunate is the room decor. It is bland and bordering on ugly. The design of the rooms is okay but the furniture and accessories isn't. I like staying in beautiful surroundings. It was beautiful outside but not inside. They should put as much care into the room decor as they do to the grounds.

We will definitely return!!

• Liked — The resort style.
  • Disliked — The rooms decor.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 6, 2007

Oh dear, where to begin? This place is something else! The rooms reminded me of a renovated Best Western or Motel 6. You know, the rooms with those air conditioners underneath the windows and the sink outside as you walk in the room? Yeah, it's that bad.

Our room was really musty smelling (I see that previous reviewers had that problem) and just felt like a roadside motel. I don't mind roadside motels, but not when I am paying for a "resort" at over $150 per night!

To add insult to injury, the hotel adds on a $15 per day "resort fee." RIDICULOUS!

It is INEXCUSABLE that this hotel calls itself a "resort." I would not recommend booking this hotel.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family