“A Motel 6 with Granite Countertops- Stay some where else”

Scottsdale Plaza Resort
Ranked #20 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Dallas, TX
“A Motel 6 with Granite Countertops- Stay some where else”
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I booked it through Priceline for $150/night. For what I paid I was greatly disappointed. Grounds are 4 star quality but rooms are definitely not, more like 3 Star at best. Rooms are like a Motel 6/ La Quinta with granite counter tops.

Staff made me feel uncomfortable (or like a pariah) for not using their car/taxi service. Their cars are very nice (unmarked) but extremely overpriced (3 times the cost of a taxi). I used the local taxis instead of their overpriced car service.

Example:
Their car service wanted to charge me $80 for a one way trip to the Airport for my wife and I. I instead called the local cab service and they cahrged me $25.

• Liked — grounds
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Civilfatman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I have stayed at Ritz Carltons, Westins, and other very high end hotels and resorts in a lot of places. For this trip, I wasn't looking to spend a tremendous amount of money, and found a deal on the Scottsdale Plaza on one of the discount sites. I quickly booked it, then read the reviews. Oops, I thought, and braced myself for the worst. However, I was very pleasantly surprised (and relieved!). The resort was not at all "one step above a Best Western," as one reviewer stated, but very lovely, well maintained, and really, quite close to the level of some of the very high end chains. The restaurant and lounge, Remington's, has a great atmosphere (live jazz in the lounge most evenings), and the food was quite decent. All of the services I used (internet, room service, transport around the grounds, etc.) were wonderful. The room wasn't done in fabrics and colors I would have chosen, but was really spacious, with nice materials used, good lighting and amenities, full wet bar, etc. I don't know what the problem was when the other reviewers stayed, but I thought the place easily rated four stars.

• Liked — Overall atmosphere
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank pickyredhead
New Jersey
Reviewed February 14, 2008

I booked through Priceline to save over $100 a night compared to Expedia and Travelocity. If I had known I would get this hotel I would have never done it. The room smelled musty and like stale smoke, probably from the old drapes, carpet, and comforters from years ago I assume. There are popcorn ceilings, a tiny bathroom, and everything just felt so dated, dirty, and worn out. This hotel room in my opinion is barely a 3 star rating. They need to do a major remodeling on the hotel. Also, I had a business need to print something quickly. The business center charged $14 to print 2 pages. They charged $10 to use the computer, which I never even touched because the employee took the memory stick from me, put it in the computer, and printed the document. It was a $2 charge per page printed, to bring the total to $14. Total rip-off. I have never stayed in a hotel with such outrageous business center fees. Overall, I was very displeased and uncomfortable in the room and will never stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — rooms are old and gross and the business center is a rip-off
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dcg08
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed January 29, 2008

We made a last minute trip to Scottsdale the weekend before the Superbowl. Rates were high and rooms were few. We finally managed to score a room via Priceline for $100 a night, resort fee included. Having read the reviews here, we were quite disappointed when we discovered we were booked at the Scottsdale Plaza, bargain price or no bargain price.

We were pleasantly surprised-the grounds are well maintained and lucious. The lobby and meeting space is luxurious. Rooms were certainly not four star plus quality, but a long way from motel 6. Our room had been recently renovated...new carpet and furnishings, with the possible exception of the bed which sagged.

Friendly staff. Great location. Great grounds. Rooms beneath the overall quality of the resort, but better than I expected after reading the reviews.

Would I return? Probably not, unless I could stay here again for a Priceline rate....

Stayed January 2008
3 Thank dr__dawggy
seattle
Reviewed January 28, 2008

t
This property is in need of some major love. The room and its decor are dated. The front door would not open easily, two of the three chairs in the room needed to replaced (one broken, the other so soiled I would not sit on it), the bathroom shower knob had mold in it, could hear the shower/bathroom use of another room... But staff seemed very nice and were willing to try to correct the problems.

• Liked — towels
  • Disliked — the room need some serious care
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank hhb
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 21, 2008

I stayed at a meeting in January and would grade the stay and experience "B-". The staff was pleasant and the grounds are ok. I asked for a king size bed room and was given that the second day of my stay. The front desk confused the agreement regarding internet access that had been negotiated with the conference and told me that I'd have to pay $9.95 in addition to the daily 15 dollar resort fee only to correct it the next day to "included with the resort fee." One day I had to go to Kinko's to use their computer because the internet access was not working until almost 7 pm.

The accomodations were adequate for the meeting and the location was actually quite good. The rooms were very average with plastic bathtubs!!

The people at the front desk really were trying to help but when they gave me special directions to drive to the airport on my departure, they gave me the wrong not updated direction form which I inquired about.

Get the picture....if you are being taken there by a company and not paying it's better than average...if the bill is coming out of your pocket, it felt expensive. Oh....and the "work out are" is two converted racquetball courts and was marginal....I went a mile away to use my LA Fitness membership instead.........

Grade
1. rooms C
2. attitude A-
3. Cost B- for what one gets

• Liked — Location and people were nice
  • Disliked — Average rooms, cost, confusion about having to pay extra for internet access, gym
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank RichieRichPhilly
Kenosha, Wi
Reviewed January 18, 2008

After reading the reviews here, I almost changed to another location....My expectations were not positive going in....But once we got here I was surprised with how nice everything was.....we are staying in one of the two bedroom suites and not in the main building........so maybe there is a difference, But....I will be coming back in the future as the accomodations are average or above.....No Problems at all.........

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple