“Impressive restaurant”
Review of Roka Akor

Roka Akor
Reserve with OpenTable
Roka Akor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 1,307 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North of Indian Bend on Scottsdale Rd
Description: Our menu features prime cut steaks, seafood, and vegetables with unique Japanese-inspired marinades and sauces, along with sushi, sashimi, tempura, and extraordinary desserts. The menu changes regularly to reflect seasonal offerings. Roka Akor Scottsdale offers the unparalleled combination of thoughtful design and contemporary Robata Japanese cuisine. The restaurant’s name is derived from two words: RO and KA. The meaning of the first word is hearth, a gathering place where people socialize and take in the ambience; the latter stands for a burning fire and projecting energy. Roka Akor’s contemporary main dining room provides a stunning backdrop and the centrally located robata grill is the heart of the visual experience. To accommodate all guests needs, Roka Akor Scottsdale also offers a private dining room, private patio and Roka Bar. AE15color “The Best Steakhouses in all 50 States- ARIZONA” – Business Insider & Foursquare “Award of Excellence” – Wine Spectator “Best Sushi Res
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Shusi is my wife's favorite food so took her there the other day. Wonderful decor, good parking, easy access and friendly, helpful staff. Menu was explained to us in detail to help us select our meal. This restaurant covers the range from sushi to beef so all preferences will be met. I agree with another review it is pricey. However the quantities are generous and we left full. Wonderful sushi!

I thought they offered a large wine list - one of the better ones I had seen in Scottsdale [from where we have eaten].

We'd go there again for another special occasion when we're feeling "rich".

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Enjoyed fresh seafood , oysters and several sushi

TEMPURE DISH WAS GREAT , sashimi tuna was so fresh .

Such a cool presentation and sushi bar.

Very good for dates and bit pricy but well worth it for special treat.

1  Thank k123-foodie
Reviewed February 13, 2014

A real treat for sushi lovers in Scottsdale. Great food and ambiance in this upscale sushi restaurant. Great bar scene as well. Will return again!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Went here at the recommendation of a friend who swears by the Chicago location. The food was okay, but for the price wasn't great. If I has spent half as much I might bump it a star, but I'd say everything was just okay. A friend of mine had the tasting menu and he really enjoyed it, so maybe that the way to go.

1  Thank RAZBW
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My wife and I are on vacation in Arizona so this review represents a single dinner at Roka Akor in Scottsdale.

After reading the rave reviews, some claiming that Roka Akor was among the best sushi restaurants in the USA, we had to try it out. For this visit, we decided to try a wide variety of dishes off their "happy hour" dining menu in the bar, which is quite a bargain.

Our waitress/bartender was professional, albeit cold. We didn't feel terribly welcome. Given that we were one of the only patrons dining at that time, we would have thought that she could have been a bit friendlier, but whatever. It didn't give us warm fuzzies. OTOH, the serving staff was quite friendly and accommodating, so overall, the experience was pleasant.

We tried a variety of dishes, including: ceviche tacos (tasty, fresh and crisp), steamed edamame (somewhat overdone and mushy), crispy fried squid (well prepared by bland - needs a sauce!), crispy brussels sprouts (not crispy, overcooked. Decent but not great), pork belly with kimchi (very tender and flavorful, perhaps a bit overcooked and dry but overall very good), Butterfish tataki (pretty good), Hamachi chili roll (good ingredients but...) and the dynamite scallop roll (again, good ingredients but...)

All in all, we found the ingredients and preparation to be very good with one huge faux pas - the sushi rice was cold. Unfortunately, this tainted the overall meal for us. It's well known that sushi rice is to be kept warm, preferably at body temperature, while the other ingredients should be cold. Placing a cold sushi roll into your mouth leaves you feeling like you're eating grocery store sushi. The consistency was fine, but the temperature was simply wrong.

As noted, we enjoyed the dishes in general but Roka Akor is definitely not at the level of places like Nobu or our favorite sushi place back home. It's possible that the restaurant had the 'B' team working that night, given the several preparation gaffes, so I wouldn't write it off. If I was in the area again, I would give the discounted menu another shot to see if it was just a fluke (no pun intended) or a chronic issue. However, I am very glad that we didn't spring for the Omakase, because at those prices, I would expect a much better dining experience.

Note that my ratings are based on the discounted happy hour prices.

1  Thank TedSan42