“This is a gourmet delight”
Review of Cafe Monarch

Cafe Monarch
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Monarch is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1,282 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Description: Café Monarch, in Old Town Scottsdale, is a family-owned and operated restaurant offering an ultra-romantic setting for your birthday, anniversary, special occasion, or extravagant night out. The four-course menu is altered weekly by Chef Gus Lewkowicz, using only seasonal and local ingredients. All servers are trained and certified sommeliers with extensive wine knowledge. *Reservation Only *Vegetarian, Vegan, and Gluten free restrictions can be accommodated *Due to the high demand for outdoor seating we cannot guarantee or reserve courtyard seating. We will do our very best to accommodate requests when possible. Thank you for your understanding!
Reviewed October 25, 2013

10stars for this restaurant. The food, ambiance and the service was exceptional. Chris, the owner
Was there to greet his guests. He even took me and my 2 daughters on a tour of the kitchen.
Our set menu was great from salad to the 2 choices of entrees and the dessert. Our server, Bailey was so efficient, and knowledgeable. We had a good bottle of wine with our meal, and it was very affordable. can't wait for a return experience.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a charming restaurant with great food and wonderful service. I actually went three times in one week just to share it with my friends and family. I highly recommend that you try it. Be sure to call ahead for dinner reservations.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

French - Mexican - Southwestern decor, very romantic, great spot for a quiet dinner. They do take credit cards and have a liquor license now. They don't have a website yet and tried several other restaurant sites looking for the menu but as we found out it is prix fixe and changes daily. The only menu they have is for the wine. The dinner options are recited by the waiter. With only a couple options for the night you would expect the food to be top notch. Unfortunately, it was very average from start to finish. My wife is a real foodie and after visiting so many restaurants together I'm almost as critical. All the food we had can easily be prepared at home and tasted and felt like your average home cooked meal. The price was $45 for 3 courses. Course 1 you had no option, we had a cold eggplant, olive diced salad on top of a bed of greens. The chef forgot to add the dressing to the greens so it was very dry. The eggplant/olive mix was fine, your typical mix with some olive oil etc. Course 2 we had the option for a short rib with truffle mashed potato and carrots or a shrimp with polenta and chorizo. I had the short rib and my wife had the shrimp. For the price I would expect a hanger or skirt steak instead of the short rib which is a very cheap meat. The short rib was fine, nothing special. We make it at home and its very easy to cook, just cook it all day until its nice and tender which is basically how it was served. The truffle mashed was average also. Chunky potato with some truffle oil mixed in, hardly difficult to master. The carrots were good but I only had 3 tiny ones on my plate. My wife thought the 1st course was better than her shirmp and polenta. I tasted a little and it was nothing we can't make a home fairly easily. For course 3 again we had no option, it was a blondie, a white brownie with a small scoop of chocolate ice cream with fresh berries. The fresh berries turned out to be a few pieces of strawberry. Again, it tasted like a try of white brownies were made and throw a scoop of ice cream on top and cut up a few strawberries and there it is. No finesse, just make a large portion of food during the day and serve it as freshly high end food at night. I think for $30 a person it would have been a little more reasonable but for $45/person plus what we spent on wine we could have had a much nicer meal. Again, we loved the decor and service was great but great food is always superior when I'm paying these prices at a restaurant. We'll give it one more try but on this night it was definitely lacking.

1  Thank ScottsdaleisGreat
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I were in Scottsdale for a convention and I asked the concierge about Cafe Monarch. She did not suggest that we go since the chef/owner was temperamental, they did not accept credit cards and did not have a liquor license. Non of which is true! What the concierge did not realize, is that the restaurant had recently reopened (that week) under new ownership. We went for brunch, had a bloody Mary, and paid by credit card. There were only 2 selections, one savory and one sweet, we chose one of each and they were absolutely delicious! We met the owner on the way out and he gave us a tour of the kitchen and introduced us to the chef.

Everyone was extremely nice and the food was fantastic!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Cafe Monarch is my favorite restaurant in Scottsdale. The food is delicious,and the atmosphere is so romantic. The servers are very attentive, but not overly so. Try it, Cafe Monarch will be your favorite restaurant too!