“What a Let Down”
Review of Cafe Monarch

Cafe Monarch
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Monarch is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,274 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Description: Café Monarch, in Old Town Scottsdale, is a family-owned and operated restaurant offering an ultra-romantic setting for your birthday, anniversary, special occasion, or extravagant night out. The four-course menu is altered weekly by Chef Gus Lewkowicz, using only seasonal and local ingredients. All servers are trained and certified sommeliers with extensive wine knowledge. *Reservation Only *Vegetarian, Vegan, and Gluten free restrictions can be accommodated *Due to the high demand for outdoor seating we cannot guarantee or reserve courtyard seating. We will do our very best to accommodate requests when possible. Thank you for your understanding!
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Three of us were so looking forward to our evening. Too bad it didn't pan out as we had anticipated. A pleasant server greeted us at the door and took us into the kitchen to "meet" the chef. She told him we had arrived, but the chef kept his back to us and we were then escorted to our table. We were glad there were 3 in our party to save us from being seated at the tiny little tables for 2.
The atmosphere is, for the most part, pleasant and interesting. The real downfall was the food. The descriptions of the courses were much more appealing than the actual meal. Between the three of us we sampled everything available and found it all to be lacking. Lack luster salmon, overcooked and tough shrimp. The server made a point of saying our beef would be medium rare, it was medium to medium well for sure. The baked fruit dessert was very soupy. The coffee was weak, and we were never offered a second cup or a warm up.
A trip to the restroom was disappointing as well. Water was all over the floor as the sink was too small to contain the splatter. Oh, did I mention there were was nothing available to dry your hands with?
This was an expensive evening. I would have been happy to pay the price for a great meal, this was a total let down.

3  Thank Cowpokes
There are newer reviews for Cafe Monarch

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Monarch is either the best restaurant few people have been to or everyone is keeping it a secret to prevent others from finding out. Chef Chris is a one man, personalized chef who prepares a prix fixe menu each evening (and Sunday brunch) that beats not only any of the local gastronomique experience but even and including mom's. You bring your own wine for a small corkage which not only provides for better consumption but keeps the overall cost of this amazing restaurant down to very reasonable levels. The service is outstanding by the way. During warmer weather his outdoor terrazza is a heavenly venue. So go, but don't tell anyone, okay?

2  Thank Jeffcunningham
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Chef Chris has created a little piece of heaven! The food is creative, fresh,and yummy. The setting is like your secret garden. His loving attention is evident everywhere. With the advantage of BYOB, the fixed price is so reasonable for the quality and quantity you receive. We come here for most special events and in between. We have never been disappointed.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

The weather was a bit cool in the evening but perfect to sit outdoors in the courtyard. Just the right amount of lighting and atmosphere to be very romantic. The set menu was perfect and delicious. Everything was idea including the personal touch of meeting the chef before being seated. The added benefit of BYOB with a $10 corkage fee makes the restaurant very affordable for the excellent meal served.

2  Thank smatso
Reviewed November 25, 2012

One of my favorite places, unfortunately I don't get to visit as often as I like - I live a bit far and dinners reservations are required. So when I have visited it has been for lunch or breakfast. I did have the opportunity to go for dinner last night for my birthday and as always I was not disappointed. We were seated in the rear courtyard, what a wonderful setting with the climbing vines, water feature and hanging lanterns and I couldn't have asked for better weather. Heaters are provided in case it gets a bit chilly.

Dinners are a prix fix menu, 1 app and a choice of 2 entrees and a dessert. The appetizer was a very tasty, fresh terrine consisting of zucchini and leaks topped with tomato and mozzarella then baked. This came with two wonderfully crispy bruschettas. Despite the melted, gooey cheese the dish managed to stay light!

For my entree I chose the short ribs, so delicious. Extremely tender (no knife needed) flavorful and hearty. The short ribs were in a wonderful mushrooms sauce over polenta and served with carrots. This is a great winter dish and left me extremely satisfied and stuffed!

I so love this place I even toyed with the idea of taking a drive out there today for breakfast :o)

Important - this is a cash only establishment and no liquor served, byob ($10 corkage fee). If you forget your bottle as we did, no worries, you can pop into a store just around the corner.

1  Thank rizan22