“Wonderful!”
Review of Cafe Monarch

Cafe Monarch
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Monarch is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,256 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Café Monarch, in Old Town Scottsdale, is a family-owned and operated restaurant offering an ultra-romantic setting for your birthday, anniversary, special occasion, or extravagant night out. The four-course menu is altered weekly by Chef Gus Lewkowicz, using only seasonal and local ingredients. All servers are trained and certified sommeliers with extensive wine knowledge. Our sommeliers taste wine weekly to ensure the best pairing for each course. *Reservation Only *Vegetarian, Vegan, and Gluten free restrictions can be accommodated *Due to the high demand for outdoor seating we cannot guarantee or reserve courtyard seating. We will do our very best to accommodate requests when possible. Thank you for your understanding!
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

One of my favorite places, unfortunately I don't get to visit as often as I like - I live a bit far and dinners reservations are required. So when I have visited it has been for lunch or breakfast. I did have the opportunity to go for dinner last night for my birthday and as always I was not disappointed. We were seated in the rear courtyard, what a wonderful setting with the climbing vines, water feature and hanging lanterns and I couldn't have asked for better weather. Heaters are provided in case it gets a bit chilly.

Dinners are a prix fix menu, 1 app and a choice of 2 entrees and a dessert. The appetizer was a very tasty, fresh terrine consisting of zucchini and leaks topped with tomato and mozzarella then baked. This came with two wonderfully crispy bruschettas. Despite the melted, gooey cheese the dish managed to stay light!

For my entree I chose the short ribs, so delicious. Extremely tender (no knife needed) flavorful and hearty. The short ribs were in a wonderful mushrooms sauce over polenta and served with carrots. This is a great winter dish and left me extremely satisfied and stuffed!

I so love this place I even toyed with the idea of taking a drive out there today for breakfast :o)

Important - this is a cash only establishment and no liquor served, byob ($10 corkage fee). If you forget your bottle as we did, no worries, you can pop into a store just around the corner.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank rizan22

Phoenix, Arizona
“An absolute gem!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Don't know how we missed this fixed prix, chef's choice BYOB but you can bet we won't miss it again. Two of us couples had Sunday bunch in the outdoor garden today. Everything from the ambience, to the service to the chef's selections were superior. Feels like Europe. Don't miss it.

1 Thank theprguy
Scottsdale, Arizona
“DISAPPOINTED”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were quite excited to get a reservation for dinner and brought along a beautiful wine. We were seated promptly but no sooner were we seated we were told the menu items and asked if we were ready to order??? It seems that our waitress was employed for 5 weeks only(another waiter to be was a current busboy in training) and had no training on the etiquette of dining. We delayed the ordering to enjoy our wine. the side dining room was quaint and warm. We started with a chili spinach cheese appetizer which was not anything special. like my wife stated: something we could make at home. for main course my wife had the crab scallop entree: tasty and simple but small portion. I had the chicken breast wrapped in pancetta with polenta. nothing special. dessert was the highlight with a wonderful chocolate tart. total bill$45ppx2+$10 corkage fee+tip.
Summary: We did not leave with an ooh-aaah feeling. average food, average service.
Maybe an off experience for us but maybe not the quality of food we expected from the reviews.

• Visited November 2012
New York City
“Absolutely scrumptious!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We went here in Feb 2012 - what a great meal! We went on a quiet Sunday when there was not one person here! We sat outside and brought our own wine - the food was absolutely relish! We got one of each 5 dishes offered since we were 5 - plates ranged from chicken salad with strawberries to fresh salmon salad to grilled cheese with tomato soup! So fresh and such friendly staff - a must!!!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank ansingh
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“Great place in Old Town Scottsdale”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We went for lunch. There were 5 selections with a few iced teas & a couple of dessert choices. Incredible service. Very high quality food. We both had the pork with polenta.
Beware - It is a CASH ONLY restaurant, so be prepared.

• Visited October 2012