“Have mixed feelings about this place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint David
Down By The River Bed And Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Saint David B&B and Inns
Arizona
“Have mixed feelings about this place”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

My husband and I chose this location because we saw the prior great reviews on this place. When we arrived, we walked inside a quiet, hot house (we were the only guests for the weekend). We called via cell phone to locate the owners.

When checking in, we made a few comments about how uncomfortable the temperature in the house was and we were told to just open some windows; it would cool down at night. The temperature did not cool down and when my husband asked the owner to turn the air on (temperature in the house was over 80 degrees), the owner didn't seem too enthused; like we were expecting too much. This was the case for any request. I had requested two additional pillows and he had brought me some off a bed that was being changed (not too sure if the pillow cases were fresh).

The two nights we were there were not restful. The bed was uncomfortable and I turned down the air further on the second night (to 77 degrees because the owner barely turned it down) so we could get some sleep. The bathroom was plagued with earwigs and the jacuzzi tub spewed out black mold when my husband went to use it.

The prior reviews are correct in that the breakfast meals are good and the inside of the house is decorated nicely. The outside is a bit run down with the creepy garden gnomes everywhere and dying plants; would have been better to stick with the minimalist, natural look.

From our conversations with the owner, he is trying to sell the place because his wife is sick. While my heart goes out to these folks, it is still a business and there are expectations for a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chuynsimone
DBTRBAB, Owner at Down By The River Bed And Breakfast, responded to this review, July 30, 2009
I want to respond to this review with just a few statements.
The property has a guest side and an owner side connected by a breezeway. These guests were inside the guest side when the called me and I was working on the owners side when they came. I do have a doorbell on the owners side and most people use that if I am not out to greet them. Once she called me I was with them within a minute.
Secondly, the temperature was set at 80 but when she complained that it was too hot I lowered the thermostat. I did inform her that at night it got cooler and that she could open the windows at night if she wished as the temp got down into the 60s.
The next morning when I asked the husband how they slept he said that it was hot in the room. I had found out that they shut off the AC and opened the windows and doors during the night instead of contacting me to see if I could resolve the problem. I always tell the guests to ring the doorbell if there is a problem.
The next morning after they left to go tour on the first day I investigated the room to see what the problem was. As it turned out the air vent for the room had been closed by a previous guest. I would guess that this occurred during the heating season and I didn't notice it until I check out their complaint.
That item is now on my check list when getting the rooms ready. There had been other guests in the room but this was the first time that the AC had been needed this year. I asked the husband about the second night and he said that it was fine.
As to the other two items I wasn't shown or told about either of these item so I can't respond to her comments in that area.
I am sorry for their first night but if they had contacted me I probably would have found the problem and been able to make them much more comfortable.
Mike Hug
Down By The River B and B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 20, 2008

If you are looking for an out of the way, quiet and peaceful B&B, the Down By the River B&B in Southern Arizona is for you. The owners, Mike and Barb are gracious hosts with plenty of local information to help you get the most out of your visit to Arizona.
The back road drive to the B&B is remote so just follow Mike’s excellent directions and you will have no problem. I was visiting with my 88 year old mother so we arranged to arrive before dark. The B&B is set up so that guests stay in one section of the property while the owners live in another section. As you first walk in, there is an awesome, very large gathering room that boasts fireplace, TV with dish satellite, DVD and movies, pool table and areas for reading or just a chat. The back patio has plenty of chairs and tables for relaxing, star gazing, and an area to BBQ and eat your dinner, if you are so inclined.
We stayed in the Bird Room. Our hosts gave us a tour of all the rooms and they all are uniquely decorated and beautifully designed. Our room was very clean and neat. I am an early riser, so early coffee was ready for me as well as Mike’s delicious fresh fruit smoothies. Breakfast was a delicious fresh baked cheese soufflé and fresh strawberry crepes. We were very full and did not eat again until late in the evening.
Can’t wait to return to this B&B. It is a winner.

• Liked — The friendly hosts and remote location
  • Disliked — The chairs and sofa were hard wood
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank 1234wny
SLC, Utah
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We stayed at the "Down by the River" to celebrate a couple of 50th birthdays. The Hugs were very gracious hosts. The rooms were very clean and decorated with attention to detail and history. The fruit smoothies were delicious as were the amazing breakfast entrees. (The fresh brownies made us forget all about the store bought birthday cake) The property is beautiful and peaceful. The back courtyard was a great place to watch for birds while enjoying freshly brewed coffee. The Hugs were willing to offer advice as to good hiking trails and sights to see such as geological and historical sites. Our stay at the Down by the River was beyond our expectations and really worth the trip.

• Liked — comfortable atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rivershots
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed November 9, 2007

While Northern AZ has the Grand Canyon and Sedona, the SouthEastern part of the state has much to offer. We flew into Tucson, rented a SUV and within an hours drive we were at Down by the River B&B in St. David which is also near the town of Benson. The river is the San Pedro. Our hosts were Mike and Barb Hug. With excellent directions we followed Apache Powder Rd. passing cattle grazing among the cacti and on to a cattle gate which must be closed upon entry.
Mike designed and Barb decorated this lovely one level guest house with private quarters for each guest room and large common living room, dining room, kitchen for guests to share. Each room has a separate theme, and amenities include walk in closets, beatiful vanity areas and private baths for each. We were in the Cowboy room. There is a Bird room, a Mineral ( mining theme) room and a Mission room. Each was a knock out and very comfortable.
Coffee is prepared early and available for the guest who needs a jolt before taking a walk on the generous property before breakfast. The food was wonderful, beginning each morning with a fresh fruit smoothy, and followed by an overgenerous 3 or 4 course meal. We were there for 4 days and never ate lunch while hiking, touring nearby Tombstone, Karchner Caverns, a local Clovis site, and a hike to Ft. Bowie. The Chiracahua Nat'l Monument with its standing columns, variety of pines and breathtaking views was a beautiful contrast to the desert below. This B&B is a great place to rest after a day in S/E Arizona. I can't compliment the Hugs enough for supplying maps, directions and suggestions for our day trips. Star gazing at night is exceptional and Mike hauled out a telescope so we could enjoy the current comet favoring our view. Go and go back. I know I will.

• Liked — The host/hostess, the lovely, quiet room with exceptional attention to detail in food and decor.
  • Disliked — It is out in the county and I am a city gal. But that is why you get out of the city.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TravelingAlice
#1 of 22 in Sierra Vista
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#2 of 5 in Benson

Been to Down By The River Bed And Breakfast? Share your experiences!