“Still just as good”
Review of El Charro Cafe - CLOSED

El Charro Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This location is relatively new, opening within the last year or so.
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I visited this restaurant a year ago and was very pleased with quality of food and exceptional service. Yesterday I returned to the same restaurant and tried something different. Again I was not disappointed. The waiter and waitress were both so very pleasant. The food was excellent. There was more than we could eat in our luncheon serving. Take out boxes were in order. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone seeking good Mexican food.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is one of those restaurants that gets about 50% right on every visit. Sometimes the food is good but the service stinks. Other times the service is good but the food is off. Sometimes neither are really good but not really bad. Just once I'd like to go here and have a 100% experience.

On our most recent visit it was the atmosphere that was totally off. Food was ok. The service was the most attentive and professional we've ever had (I think Jesus was our waiter?). The food was ok. However, they had the basketball game BLARING on the sound system instead of music. Not just in the bar but throughout the restaurant as well. We moved once to try to find a quieter spot but it really didn't help. So we ended up shouting across the table at each other (how enjoyable is that?) and struggling to hear our waiter.

The sad part is El Charro is still the best Mexican food between Sahuarita and Green Valley. Other offerings are so bad they aren't even worth naming.

Come on El Charro... get your act together! You're all we've got!

1  Thank Artistseye
Reviewed March 22, 2013

If you want a burger patty on your taco then this is your place! Seriously I eat and breathe Mexican and this was a huge disappointment. First...out of mild salsa on a Friday night at 7:p.m. Secondly,,I had a burger patty on a taco...omg are you kidding me, so grossed out I asked the server for something different because I had never seen anything like this in my life. She had informed me to get the ground beef tacos " which I had originally thought I was getting" My new tacos were dry hamburger meat with NO flavor at all. Never again would I return. On a positive note the margaritas and the amber ale beer was good.

1  Thank KIM31236
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Was working in Green Valley Arizona and went here with a local. The restaurant has a beautiful interior design and lots of great art featuring the history of the restaurant as it has been around since the 1920's. we had an hour for lunch and it took us about an hour and a half even though the place was not busy. The busboy brought us menus and water pretty quickly, after about 15 minutes and still no waiter. we flagged down the busboy to see if we could order he apologized and said he would find our server. My friend ordered s burrito and asked for no sauce. After another long wait for our food her food came wrong She didn't really want to make an issue of it, she ended not eating it as she did not like it. My food was good. but, We had to keep grabbing the bus boy for water hot sauce . The only great service we got was from Rueben who was in training. At the ended we were so frustrated with the poor service from the waiter the we grabbed Rueben the busboy and asked him if he could accept tips and he said not really as they were shared. I asked him to get the manager for us as we thought after all he had done he should be the one receiving a tip. After about 5 minutes the manager finally arrived at our table. My friend had not wanted to make an issue of her lunch, but she had not eaten anything, so I explained that her order had been wrong, the very poor service we had received except from Rueben who had been the ONLY one that gave us service and was one one we had to flag down to get anything we needed. ! In speaking with the manager it is clear why the service is so poor! He did not offer any solution for my friend, not a replacement item or even a true apology. I gave the manager a 5 bill and told him that the tip was just for Rueben as he had really tried to make our experience a good one and that as the in training employee he truly deserved it. My local friend said there was talk the place was closing. After our poor dining experience I can see how this may be true !! To bad as the place has been around for along time and the new location has such a great atmosphere !

2  Thank Onegirlashfork
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We are big fans of El Charro downtown Tucson and so were especially disappointed in this location. Very slow service; mediocre, tepid food; and out of guacamole-at 6:00pm!! Not all that expensive, but not worth the money. Seriously, keep looking.

1  Thank Nancy P