“What a Blast”

Titan Missile Museum
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Sahuarita
More attraction details
Owner description: The guided tour shows visitors how ready the U.S. was for war with the Soviets.
Dallas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“What a Blast”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband is a nuke nerd. So when we recently visited Tucson, we couldn't avoid - I mean pass up - the chance to see the only Titan missile silo open to the public. We signed up for the "Top to Bottom" tour and spent the morning climbing through the silo. I actually learned a lot...and will admit that I had fun doing it. I strongly advise visiting the silo and taking this tour. If you are lucky enough to get Norm Goetz and Tom McConnell as your guides, then you are in for a great experience. We started topside with a short film and then entered the silo. We got to "launch" the missile, see where the crew slept, push open the blast doors and crawl up ladders to peek in nooks and crannies on every level. We learned that ox blood was used to put out fires and the best part -- got to descend to the bottom of the "W" blast deflector on level 9 and look up. That was the absolutely best part! If you are going to take the special tour, register early. Groups are kept small and ours had been sold out weeks in advance. Also, be prepared to climb. If your climbing days are over, there are other tours. Regardless of what you do, you will leave learning something new and can't help but be impressed with what engineers were able to do with a slide rule fifty years ago. The construction of the silo itself is a marvel. Enjoy!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank DallasTexasChick

tucson,arizona
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very interesting...”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I knew nothing about the Titan missile except that we had some. I had out of town guests and I thought this would be interesting for all of us, and it was. Volunteers give the tour which is very nice, as they are knowledgeable and happy to be there. I'd call my visit 100% educational. Not for the claustrophobic, as the area is narrow and the ceilings are low. Steep descent, but there is an elevator for those who need it.

Highly recommended, especially if you don't know anything about these types of weapons (or maybe think you do).

Visited November 2011
Sidcup, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“No Nukes is Good Nukes”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very interesting tour, well presented by the guides, with lots of fascinating facts. It's a sad reflection on the Human race that at the end of the day it's all about destruction but it's well worth a visit, highly recommend it if you're down that way.

Visited September 2012
Montreal, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Nice Museum.”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I think this museum needs to be visited, only if it would be for the reasons the cold war stopped!
Very knowleadgeable volunteers provide a very technical and in depth summary of the site and how it operated.
Worth the hour spent!

Visited September 2012
Green Valley, Arizona
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Very interesting tour of the missile silo.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Only one left with a missile in place. Just no war head! Museum and lecture are interesting. Gift shop OK.