“stop, turn around, go back”

Essence of Tranquility
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Safford
Tucson, Arizona
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“stop, turn around, go back”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I am not a snooty person, and I have been around and done a lot of things that might seem dubious. Maybe all that experience was talking to me when my wife and I approached this place. Nestled in a serene cluster of broke-down, ancient mobile homes, we found this dive just amazingly unappealing. I wasn't looking for luxury, but reasonably tidy and tended would have been nice. This place was a shambles, with junk piled out front. It really looked like Fred Sanford had opened a hot springs in the middle of his junk yard. We'd driven 2 hours to get to this place after reading its wonderful reviews. We didn't even stop the car when we got there. We looked at each other and said "no way" before making a turn in the parking area and leaving. It seems like some people really like it, and I am glad for them. But really, this place is a total dump. Wish I'd snapped a pic for you!

Do NOT believe the reviews.

Visited February 2014
10 Thank knownalias

Safford, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“a gem in the desert”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

this little oasis is just what the doctor ordered, peace and quite, casual and homey. Old style Deep cement tubs to soak away your cares.Camping options are clean and comfortable.The locals make this a regular stop, it's worth a trip.

Visited December 2013
4 Thank lauriemona
AZ
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Enjoyed our Time @ Essence of Tranquility”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I came here and were not disappointed. The people here are very nice and the hot mineral spring tubs were so warm and relaxing. We soaked in the tub and then Mary gave us a massage which was so relaxing. The people here make you feel right at home. There is no rush. They have different rooms with hot tubs and door for privacy. Will return here when we are in the area. Please remember this is not a fancy place, but the prices are so very reasonable that it was well worth our time here.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank AZretiree
Las Cruces, New Mexico
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Hidden Paradise...”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

If you are looking to be waited on or want to have some upscale experience with bathrobes and tray bearing waitpersons, this is NOT the place for you. But, if you are looking for absolutely PURE soaking waters, quiet grounds, peaceful surroundings and some other soul mates, then this is absolutely the place to be.

I have been to Essence twice now, once with my friends from Tucson and once solo and both times the experience was stellar. I love that you have complete freedom to soak whenever a pool is open day or night. I can't think of a more lovely experience.

The shared kitchen is lovely and clean as is the shared space to just read a book. My favorite is the outdoor eating area and the lovely grounds.

I adore this place and will be back again as time allows.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank demenshea
Phoenix, Arizona
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Very relaxing”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I stopped by here and enjoyed a pleasant soak in one of the hotter enclosed tubs and then in the cooler outdoor tub. It was very relaxing and my skin was nice and soft when I was done. It was great to not smell chlorine! Don't worry... it's not weird. No alcohol or people smoking. Everyone we encountered from the owners to the other patrons were very pleasant people... and everyone was wearing a swim suit. In the enclosed ones it's clothing optional. Like other reviewers said... it's rustic and homey... not a fancy spa. So as long as you know that, go and enjoy!

Visited October 2013
3 Thank JanetB2656

Been to Essence of Tranquility? Share your experiences!