“Party at the Pool till 5 am”

Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rio Rico
Phoenix, Arizona
“Party at the Pool till 5 am”
Reviewed September 23, 2006

Wife and I stayed here in September 2006 with conference associated with my work place. Booked for 3 nights but left after 2. Upon arrival given wrong room assignment per our reservations(requested king standard). After 15 mins a room switch did occur. Bryant, the bellman, given high marks for all his efforts. Decor and cleanliness of the two rooms we saw firsthand average at best. Bed linens below average, but bed didn't give my back problems which many do. Bath adequate, but again very average. Aveda sundry products were a nice touch. The entire staff was always very nice and receptive to us. However I believe this hotel must be under management change or transition. I say this because no leadership at the higher levels existed. All employees seemed new (I just started here 2 weeks ago was a comon reply). Everyone seemed to be going through the motions, but without direction from a higher source. The meeting room was below standard in size and Audio-visual requirements. Lobby had some quaintness about it, but the sofa chairs very dusty and I felt dirty sitting in them.
The advertized horse stables were still closed for the summer, despite the very comfortable 85 degree temps we enjoyed while there. The golf course we did not play, however I have heard only good things about it from those who have. Outside of that there is nothing nearby to do or see. Tubac is a nice art colony 10-15 miles down Interstate 19.
As to why we left so early has to do with the noise outside our room both nights we stayed. Our room was near the cabana adjoining the pool area. First night a group of young men played the radio and talked loudly past 1 am. We didn't call because we were both winding down from a 3 hour drive from Phoenix. Night two however the hotel hosted a wedding ceremony and reception. A group played loud music till past 1 am and then sitting by the pool talked and laughed loudly until 5 am. Yes that is 5 am. We made 3 calls to the front desk and evidently security had no control of the situation. I'm sure others were affected. That second night we got very little sleep and we were both happy to leave "Dodge" for Phoenix and a great night's rest in our bed at home. We will never recommend this place to anybody, unless of course you want to party till 5 am by the pool because they'll let you do as you please.

• Liked — Bryant the Bellman
  • Disliked — You are asking for problem with noise by being close to the pool, especially at night.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away unless you want to party by the pool until 5 am
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Studio69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
Clearwater Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2006

Stayed at the Esplendor in April. Was impressed with the suite rooms. Large and roomy living area plus two full bathrooms. Be prepared to drive if you are looking for attractions because this hotel is located in the middle of nowhere which is good if you are looking to get out of the city and relax. Nogales is a very short ride from the resort. The city of tucson is about 40 minutes away but the town of Nogales is closer if you want to shop. The restaurant is first class. We sat out on the balcony at night and everything was perfect. The food, the drinks and the service was first class. Great price on this hotel if you are looking to find peace and quite from everyday life.

• Liked — Large rooms
  • Disliked — no elevator or easy access into rooms on second floor
  • Tips/Secrets — dine on the patio at the restaurant
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank chanderson
tucson
Reviewed September 2, 2006

Average. Everything is average. I made reservations for King, non-sm. Went to my room. Dble-smoking, bottom level - no view. Called desk. "Nothing else available". Then 4 minutes later our friends arrive to check in. No reservations found. So the desk put them in a King non-smkg, 3 flr view room until they figured it out. The desk lied to me when I called again. They lied 3 times. Once to my face. 4 minutes? They were standing behind in line in the lobby. Lots of stairs. Room was musty. Tub didn't not drain fast enough to use again right away. Bath fan rattle bad. Everything outside is in need of repair. Paint needed everywhere wood, metal stucco, exterior wood stain. Rooms are average. Beds are average. 12" between bed and wall. Grounds have weeds growing taller than the plants. Food is average. Everything is cook in heavy oil. Drip, drip drip. Went to the lounge in the evening. Game came on and the bar tender turned it up so loud you could not even speak to one another. People actually left, went outside. If you go here expect to take your time. Because that is what the help is doing. Would I stay there again? Is there a choice in Rio Rico Arizona? Only if I had too. Stay at Tubac Country Club instead. Good news: Free newspaper, strong Wifi, and great views from the property that we couldn't see unless we went to our friend's room who didn't have a reservation and checked in after us. garobison@comcast.net

• Liked — property
  • Disliked — room I was given
  • Tips/Secrets — stay in Tubac Country Club
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank wildcatgary

Travelers are raving about these Rio Rico hotels

Virginia Beach
Reviewed May 16, 2006

I liked staying at this hotel. The hotel property is really pretty, lots of birds, some flowers and a large inviting pool. There is a hiking trail that leads down the hill to the small shopping center below. I loved walking along this path in the morning it was very relaxing and beautiful. The room we stayed in was okay, nothing special but was clean and in the morning we had lots of birds singing around our balcony. We ate breakfast on the outside patio at the restaurant and I thought the food was good but the highlight was the view from the patio. The stairs on this property are a little bit of a pain when carrying your luggage to your room. If you have heavy luggage or you are staying on the 3rd floor you might want to take advantage of the luggage service. Overall, you cannot beat what you get for the price of a room at this hotel. I would think of this hotel as an average hotel with above average grounds that provide comfort and relaxation.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank malyko
Basalt, CO.
Reviewed March 30, 2006

My wife and I booked 3 nights here sight unseen. It was all very nice: we had a room facing the swimming pool (nice water, BTW); clean, nicely furnished, good bed. The food in the restaurant was great as well. Room service serves the same menu if you don't want to go out. All in all, I don't remember having such nice accomodations for so reasonable a price.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank Basalt_CO_Robroy
Mpls, MN
Reviewed February 27, 2006

I was wary of staying at the Esplendor after reading some of the reviews posted here. My husband and I stayed here during a side trip from Scottsdale since we wanted to go to Nogales, Mexico for some shopping. The hotel grounds were very nice and well-maintained. the staff was pleasant. Our room was clean and had a balcony with a great view of the mountains (ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor room for the best view). The pool was larger than many resort pools and looked clean (unfortunately the weather was too cool and rainy to try it out). There were also lots of chaise lounges, a hot tub, sauna, work out area and an outdoor fireplace in the pool area, as well as an abundance of towels.

We did not try the bar or restaurant but did order room service for dinner. The food arrived quickly and was very good, especially the tortilla soup.

We booked directly on the Esplendor website and at a rate of $67/night this hotel was a great find. We will go back!

• Stayed February 2006
Best Western Sonora Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Nogales
Quality Hotel Americana Nogales
Candlewood Suites Nogales

Been to Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico? Share your experiences!