“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rio Rico
Springfield, Virginia
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Other reviews nicely go over the lovely layout and historic features of the inn, which i agree with. We reserved a room for 3 night and maybe we just had bad luck. But our room had a very very noisy heater, a fridge that didn't work, no internet connection, no wash cloths and NO chair to sit in (even though there was plenty of room).There were also cigaratte buts in a glass left on the balcony. Any single item I would have ignored, but the combination of problems was pretty bad.

The next day I asked to change rooms and they were very accomodating. The second room was much improved in that all the above worked. However, the fire alarm malfuntioned and we had to have maintenance come twice to stop the constant ringing.

Also, if you want quiet I suggest you ask for a 'quiet' room. My first room overlooking the 'town' had a good bit of highway noise (when on the balcony).

The final dissapointment, was after an 8 mile hike I was ready to use the hot tub - when another vacationer rushed up and told me two teenagers ('members of the resort') were just thrown out of the hot tub for .... um ....well .... let's just say we chose not to use it.

Re pricing: i was quoted one price and when I asked if that was the best price I was quoted a substantially lower 'promotional' rate of $119 per night. + taxes etc.

Dining: check out the local Mexican place down the street - not the one in the shopping center. Turn left at the gas station and it is 1/2 mile or so on the right. Family dining, very good food and cheap.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, WIsconsin
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We just returned from five nights at Esplendor. The hotel was basically empty, which would lead one to expect great service, but the skeleton staff were VERY slow.

We were put in a suite, which were originally two adjoining rooms. One was turned into a living room. This was nice, as we each had our own bathroom. Having a living room was nice because we had no place else to hang out. We would have been stuck sitting on beds without it.

The hotel restaurant prices were quite high for the level of service and food. The bar & restaurant menus were very limited. There are two other local bars, one did not serve food, but you could order from neighboring restaurants and have it delivered. The closest establishment within walking distance was a gas station. The return was @1 mile up a steep hill. What Rio Rico has to offer is very limited.

The pool area has a sign that no outside food or alcohol were allowed, yet not one wait person came out the entire day we were by the pool. We just kept going back to our rooms if we wanted anything.

Nogales Mexico is pretty overwhelming at first, but ok once you understand the program. We were warned to not be in Nogales, on either side of the border, at dusk.

Rio Rico is really out in the middle of nowhere. Anything worth doing was a half day trip minimum.

While we were there, the sign was painted over and there is new construction on the hill. It appears that this hotel us under new management or has a new owner and things are changing. In a couple of years it could be an entirely different place.

• Liked — We had a suite.
  • Disliked — Only one ice machine for six buildings.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Tucson
Reviewed January 28, 2009

I can't adequately express my appreciation for all Esplendor did to make our meeting at the Esplendor and Rio Rico/Tubac so incredibly special!

From walking in and being offered a hot towel for our hands to checking out and being wished well - it was all wonderful. The rooms were delightful; the food superb; the staff extremely professional - the upgrades on my room and the Presidential Suite, the wine and disk - you made us feel so important!

Thank you, again and again.

Bottom line: I am already planning on bring out of town guests back to you. And, everyone in attendance was thinking of ways to return to each venue. Even today, I received a note of thanks from one of my executive committee
members.

I would recommend you and your property to anyone, anytime.

Patty

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
00knitter
Reviewed January 13, 2009

When we had first arrived to check in the staff was very nice and down to earth. We stayed for new years to have a little get away and it was nothing short of amazing. The rooms were spacious and clean. Even the little patios outside our room were private and relaxing. The pool area looked amazing (too bad it was too cold to go for a swim) The view of Rio Rico is even amazing. I will for sure be back.

• Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rio Rico, AZ
Reviewed January 6, 2009

When my friends and I arrived early to check in we were greeted by the friendly staff at the front desk. Checking in was easy and quick, and the staff at the front desk had smiles on the whole time. When we arrived to our room one of our keys didn't work, so we returned to the front desk and they took care of it quickly.
The room was clean when we first entered, and there were no problems at all. We spent the night outside on the comfortable chairs they had for New Year's and we had a really good time.
Check out was just as easy as checking in, and the staff was still friendly the next day.
I would recommend staying to everyone looking for a place to stay in Rio Rico.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Grayslake, IL
Reviewed December 3, 2008

We have stayed at the Esplendor Rio Rico Resort several times and we just love it! The setting is beautiful, the property is well maintained and the layout is really interesting with it's multiple levels and stairs around the courtyards. The rooms are decorated in an old Spanish style, are spacious and have a private patio. A refrigerator (always appreciated in the hot Arizona desert) is tastefully hidden in the entertainment center. Pool and spa area is great and gives the feel of a real luxury resort. The restaurant is a bit pricey but the food is excellent with a local flair. I had the barbeque ribs with the prickly pear sauce and it was the best I ever had. It's really a one of a kind place and we hope to return again.

• Liked — Beautiful setting, very relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — Limited restaurant options outside of resort
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Napa, CA
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I stayed here in July for 3 nights and it was heaven! I loved the pool and spa, spending a large amount of time there. Their food was a little pricey but good and there were other good restaurants in the area. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept with lots of "wildlife" here and there, giant bullfrogs, birds and other critters. I will definitely return to Esplendor!

Stayed July 2008
Inn at San Ignacio
#4 of 5 in Green Valley
Fairfield Inn & Suites Nogales
Wyndham Green Valley Canoa Ranch Resort

Been to Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico? Share your experiences!