Visited on a getaway with my wife on an Amazon Local deal.
Here's the good:
1. Great mountain views. Ask for a room that faces north/northeast. We stayed on the 3rd floor (note: no elevators).
2. Quiet resort.
3. About a mile walk to a few restaurants (check out pizza place and Nickel's Diner. Both were good).
4. Pool and hot tub were kept up to date and were nice.
5. Bar served an Esplendor Draft that I had both days. Good happy hour prices. Free popcorn to munch on too.
6. Breakfast was good, but overpriced. Glad someone passed me a corporate voucher so it was free.
7. Staff was nice.
8. Tennis courts were not in resort shape, but playable.
The not so good:
1. Desperately needs more updates. This is an old resort and it shows.
2. The walking trails are not kept by the grounds crew.
3. Comfort of the bed was average. Sheets were nice.
4. Dinner was WAY over-priced and had no taste. For a 25+ dollar meal, Denny's would have been better (that hurts to type). NY strip lacked taste, baked potato wasn't very soft and Mexican veggie dish was bland. My wife had the 'manager's favorite' shrimp pasta dish and it was also bland.
5. While walking back from Nickel's diner for lunch, a car was chased in by the cops. Drug runners. They ditched the car in some bushes and one suspect got away. Watched the cops ATV around the mountain and search a nearby development from my balcony for about a half hour. I don't think they caught him. Epic story though!
Choose wisely. If you can find a deal to come, it might be worth it to lay by the pool. Don't expect much from the restaurant or room though. Our Amazon deal was for 2 nights, $129. We had a free bottle of wine and $50 dining credit included. Totally worth it to us for 2 nights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover simplicity, beauty, and understated elegance. The Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico combines the essence of the Old West with spirit of Old Mexico. With its acclaimed cuisine, championship golf, and memorable vistas, Esplendor Resort offers an exciting place for travelers to enjoy the beautiful scenery and history of southern Arizona. The 179 comfortable guest rooms are adorned with evocative Southwest furnishings. Just 40 minutes south of Tuscon, Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico will transport you to another world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esplendor Resort At Rio Rico Hotel Rio Rico
- Esplendor Resort Rio Rico
- Esplendor Hotel Rio Rico
- Rio Rico Resort