“Beautiful resort and views...cold food!”

Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rio Rico
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night at Esplendor and found it warm and charming. Unfortunately, the italian pasta that should have at least been warm was not. It was served on the buffet and was cold. Other than that it was a wonderful overall experience. We'd love to do it again soon!

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed August 1, 2013

What promised to be a lovely overnight getaway was sadly, not. Other than a good experience in the bar/grill because of one of the waiters (Fernando, I believe) the experience was sadly below par.

Upon check-in, we requested a room with a view. We were told none were available, and were instead given a room on the far side of the resort (which did have a nice patio overlooking a garden area). This would have been fine, with exception that the entire property seemed empty. The parking lot held fewer than 40 vehicles when we arrived (about four pm on a Saturday) and less when we walked to breakfast the next morning (around eight am). And folks, this is a pretty huge property...so just couldn't figure the decision around the room without a view.

They brought a bottle of wine to our room while we were having a quick bite in the bar/grill - but not the type of wine we ordered, and no wine glasses. Drinking wine from plastic cups went out - for the most part - when we were in college...we left the wine alone...

The main restaurant was closed for the evening - and when we walked over for breakfast Sunday morning (as mentioned before, around eight am) ALL of the tables at or near the windows were empty - but filled with dirty dishes. We ended up sitting in a dark booth in the corner...waited quite awhile for service...and listened to tinny Mexican pop music turned up far too loud...sad for what could have / should have been a pleasant dining experience...

Yay's - Clean room, the waiter in the bar/grill, the view (if you can get one from your room, mores the better :) and the tennis courts looked lovely. The pool area near our room was pretty, (but as mentioned time and again in other reviews, not one towel to be found...) and the entrance/drive to the hotel is gorgeous...

Nay's - The entire hotel - including the restaurant - is set back from the view by a parking area. Shame. The place just felt sad and unkempt - other than the aforementioned entrance /driveway. The air conditioning unit would not stay "on", and each time the fan kicked in, it sounded like a freight train was coming through the room. No sleep. The pillows were impossible. Bring your own...

I realize I may sound like a prima donna, but I have - quite frankly - stayed in hostels and Motel 6's that had more going for them.

All in all, I'd have to say unfortunately, give this place a miss. Tubac is just a little further on, and has a lovely (actual) resort...give that a go.

Room Tip: Go on to Tubac, or call a few days in advance and make sure you get a room with a view :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LoArizona
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I used a Groupon deal for a weekend getaway from Tucson and stayed in a King room. I'm glad that we had the Groupon because I didn't really get a "resort" feel from this place. I got "nice hotel." The staff we interacted with was very limited, but friendly. We had our baby with us which worked out fine, except if I had been traveling alone, there was no bell man who could have helped me with getting my things to the room so I could hang onto the kiddo. The bed was not terribly comfortable. It was convenient to have a fridge in the room. The southern buildings at the west end of the resort have a view of a close hill with a bunch of antennas on top of it, so avoid the Jackrabbit building if you want a fabulous view. Tennis isn't my thing, but from what I saw of the courts, they looked nice; same for the pool...we just never had a chance to get in because of the monsoon storms (to be expected in July). So overall, it was a relaxing weekend, but if you are looking for the resort experience (spa, day trips, etc), I would recommend coming a little farther north.

Room Tip: Get a room on the north side of the resort for the best views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The good part was the staff, they were responsive for the most part and very friendly. What was the draw backs?

1. I was in the 100 area, and at least two rooms near me had room service, when they were done with their trays, they left them outside the room with left over food (attracts bugs), and 15 (fifteen) hours later they were still there.

2. During pool hours, I called several times from the pool phone for towels, and I saw others do the same. Although we were told many times that the towels would be right there, they never showed up.

3. Pool safety was bad, several guests were seen carrying around glass containers, there were no life perserver rings, cannonballing and diving was rampit, all in all it was a unsafe and unplesent experieance for adults trying to use the pool.

4. The toilet seat in our room was broke and had to be replaced.

5. Our room was infested with some kind of little bugs during most of the stay. Instead of sprying, a maintenance man was trying to kill the bugs by claping his hands and catching the bugs between his hands.

6. Although the front parts of the grounds and buildings were well kept, our area was unkept with leaves and trash for our entire stay.

7. Our breezway needed a good scrubing of the concreat, especially where the big potted jars were sitting.

All in all a dissapointing experiance, I will not use this resort again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I went with his brother/wife for a golf weekend get away. We had a great stay and play package. The hotel has nice landscaping and large pool and a very pretty place for a wedding in the evening (we walked by just as the bride was throwing her bouquet). Our dinner on the outside terrace was quite nice. Our food was good and the service, excellent. Breakfast was very good both days. On Saturday we played the Rio Rico Golf course. We were all a bit disappointed that it was quite dry and not well maintained. For Sunday we changed our plan and played golf at Tubac about 15-20 minutes away. Well worth the extra drive. We really enjoyed the course and the clubhouse. All in all, we had a great weekend!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We booked the "birdwatching-package" at this hotel, which included a hummingbird feeder we could use on your balcony and bird information for the area. When we arrived the girl at the reception didn't know anything about this package, she asked a collegue and after a while she said everything would be deliverd at our room. She came to deliver the feeder, but to our surprise there was absolutely no possibility to hang up the feeder on our balcony, which was located at the parking lot, so a lot of hummingbirds weren't to be expected anyway.....We payed extra money for this birdwatching arrangement so this was a big disappointment. Why advertise with this package if you can't deliver?
Unfortunately this was not the only disappointment because in the hallway right in front of the door to our room there was a terrible smell and the place was covered whit mouse droppings.
Yes we should have asked for another room, but we were very tired after a long drive.
Then , the next morning we went for an early swim in the pool, but there were no pool towels available, while the pool was in it's operating hours.
All together a disappointing stay at this hotel.
To be fair there were good things: the front desk girl really did her best to arrange everything for the birdwatching-package and they have great margaritas at the bar and the breakfast was very tasteful.

Room Tip: Ask to see you room before you check in to avoid "mouse-problems"
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My family stayed at Esplendor for a weekend celebration with a group of about 30 people. We had a fantastic time! Reading some of the other reviews and from a bit of a frustrating experience trying to make my reservations, I have to admit that my expectations were not high going in. Turns out I was pleasantly surprised!

The location and views are spectacular due to its hilltop location. The Santa Cruz river valley and the mountains on the other side are gorgeous and we were treated to a beautiful view of the "super moon" rising as we ate dinner on the front patio. The grounds are very pretty, but they definitely focus on the front part: the back of the resort could use a broom and garden hose on the walkways. We got a suite, which was basically two adjoining rooms, with the bed in one and the living room w/a hideabed on the other, and a bathroom in each. It was really a nice setup. The bed was a little hard for my taste, but it's rare when I find a hotel bed I like. The AC unit in one of the rooms didn't work all that well and was loud, but it wasn't bad enough to pack everything back up and move. The decor in the rooms is nice and fitting for southern Arizona. The only bad part about getting a suite is that they're all at the far end of the resort, so it's a bit of a walk (with stairs) to get to the front.

Overall, I might have only given the place 3 stars if it hadn't been for the exceptional staff. Every single person we interacted with throughout the stay was friendly, fun, helpful and really went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. I just can't say enough about them; we felt incredibly welcome and appreciated. I especially want to thank Daniel, Gerardo and the nice gentleman who drove us to golf for taking extra good care of us.

Bottom line: if you can relax, enjoy the hospitality, soak in the beautiful southern Arizona views and realize this isn't a $400 a night type resort, you should be able to overlook any flaws associated with an older property and will enjoy your stay.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Tubac Golf Resort & Spa
Tubac Country Inn
Tubac Country Inn
#1 of 4 in Tubac

Been to Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico? Share your experiences!