“REALLY?”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rio Rico
Gilbert
“REALLY?”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I were there just this past weekend from 5/24-5/27. We were not disappointed, but we weren't thrilled. The photos tell a VERY different story than the facts of the "resort." This is NOT a four star establishment, two-and-a-half if that. The bed was horrible, the pillows need to be updated in the WORSE way. I didn't see the "river" that the resort boast about. (Maybe it had dried up). The staff were friendly and the grounds were nicely kept, however, we did notice that there were some areas that needed some upkeep. My husband witnessed a "depend" floating in the pool for over two hours... .How disgusting!!!! Why wasn't that pool drained and cleaned before allowing guest to re-enter????? We probably wouldn't stay there again.. not until they get new mattresses and pillows at least.

Room Tip: Ask them if the mattresses and pillows have been thrown out and new ones put it the rooms?
1 Thank Stephanie L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We loved our little getaway to Esplendor Resort. Had a nice room on the southwest side of the property, very quite, very peacful. Had some drinks and apps out on the patio of the bar/restaurant. Little pricey, but really good. Good friendly service. The grounds, the pool area were very nice. For the deal we got for this place, if it comes up again, I dont think we will hesitate in booking again.

Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We decided we needed a getaway for the Memorial Day weekend. We booked this property wanting to be nearby Green Valley, Tubac, and Nogales. It was an ideal property to book and the last morning they even accepted the free breakfast coupon offered by TA. The room was adequate and clean, however, mattress and pillows were well beyond their useful life. The grounds were beautiful, however, there needed to be some maintenance to clean the pool on a regular basis, spray off sidewalks for debris and bird droppings. The swimming pool was always out of towels and when you called, the towels were always coming in 5 minutes (the towels never did come). Additionally, at the pool there were a great number of families with children (I believe they sell memberships), therefore lounge chairs were at a premium. The first evening we decided to eat at the restaurant on property. Our waiter Adan was probably one of the best and knowledgeable waitstaff I have met in my 60+ years. The service was excellent and the food was plentiful and good. One couldn't ask for more with the view from the deck overlooking the Santa Rita Mountains to the east. All in all it was a good stay while overlooking negatives which would turn off many a traveler. Perhaps management should take recommendations to give the property some TLC for my 38 years in the hospitality business taught me that it is people and product which make the property.

Room Tip: If you like noise, choose rooms facing the pool. For a more relaxed atmosphere, get them facing Sou...
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The rooms were nice but the beds were VERY uncomfortable. Time to upgrade!! Poor menu selection, high prices and very slow service..underline slow. The only helpful employee was a night receptions clerk named Cesar....he went above and beyond, Danielle was a poor excuse for an employee....did not even put in for a wake up call for us.
Scenery is very pretty!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Rio Rico hotels

Surrey, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights in early April and had a great time at this resort. The room was extra large - 2 rooms in fact - with a king bed in one and a nice sitting area in the other. We ate on the outside deck for breakfast each morning and the service and food were great. What a nice view from the deck!!
We went to happy hour one evening in the bar and had a great time - service was great and the staff very friendly. We would recommend this resort if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing north for a great view!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Staff was decent.. Room was totally over priced.. Now you have to pay to use the pool.. Shouldnt that be included in the price i know it is everywhere else.. They cut down all the beautiful flowers around the tennis courts and left it there a mess. No cleanup! Walked the nature trail horrible electrical work and overgrowth! Will never go back! Beware the pictures are deceiving

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Cumming, Ga
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Tana, I have not met you yet but you must be doing a great job.

I want to mention all the people that have treated me like a king. From Daniela, Kevin and Jesus at the front desk, to Chastity, Fabian, Luis Lucia and Emy and Alexandria in the restaraunt and saloon, and Eliza and the housekeeping people, the have been so nice and friendly in making me feel welcome. I was staying in a hotel in Nogales but after I found the Esplendor I will not stay anywhere else. Congratulations to these people, whom I feel are now my friends. Nice job to you as well, Tana, and I hope I meet you this trip.

Bill Melville

Room Tip: Try this place. It is super.
Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Fray Marcos De Niza
#5 of 7 in Nogales
Holiday Inn Express Nogales
Wyndham Green Valley Canoa Ranch Resort

Been to Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico? Share your experiences!