“A couple of issues preclude an 'Excellent' rating”

Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rio Rico
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have stayed at the Esplendor Resort in Rio Rico a number of times over the years. The rooms are large, with attractive southwestern decor, particularly the bathrooms with the nice tile sinks. The low-rise resort is very well laid out, on various levels. The grounds are well maintained and the large pool nicely heated. The resort, including the lobby and restaurant are very nicely decorated. This is all excellent.

Where the resort loses points is on internet access and restaurant (breakfast) service. We were there for three days, two of which we experience extensive times when internet access was not available. In this day and age service should be more reliable. As well we echo the comments about service at breakfast. After an extensive wait we eventually had to search out a waiter as no-one was around to servce us. Most breakfast items, e.g. the french toast and huevos rancheros were excellent with the exception being the granola, which was nothing more than from a box.

That said would we return to Esplendor Rio Rico? Absolutely. For the price (we had a third night free special) this is a wonderful resort, nicely located on the top of a hill with expansive views over the countryside.

A note for golfers. I have very much enjoyed the nearby Rio Rico golf course over the years but currently (November 2012) the condition was simply awful. Greens and tee boxes were terrible, embarrassing really. There was indication of new management, and considerable work being done, especially on the greens. Hopefully this very playable course, with a number of nicely designed holes will be brought back to its previous quality. But at the moment the condition is terrible.

Room Tip: We enjoy the rooms facing south, towards Nogales. Although the north views have hills in the distan...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have been staying at the El Splendor for over 10 years now. Unfortunately, it is the most convenient hotel for doing business in Rio Rico so I continue to stay here. The rooms are clean and quiet so that is a plus. The hotel grounds are lovely and peaceful. My beef is with the wifi and breakfast service. When the hotel is full, the wifi speed drops down to the equivalent of dial up. When I'm trying to conduct business and whiz through pages, it slows me down to a crawl. This past visit, my room came with a free breakfast. Before checking out, I thought I'd grab a quick bit to eat. I sat myself in the restaurant and waited....and waited....and waited. There were 2 other tables of people who also waited and waited. Finally, after 15 minutes, a fella walked through the restaurant into the bar and ignored us. Another 5 min. and the waiter finally showed up. I asked for coffee and toast, thinking it would be fast. Not so. After another 25 min. I gave up and left. Experiences like this make me crazy. I just wanted a quick cup of coffee so I could hit the road. 45 min. is just excessive to have to wait. Now, if I was on vacation, I might not mind so much.

Room Tip: Unless you like to drag your bag up several flights of stairs, request a room on the 2nd floor and u...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank salesmaven
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I traveled to Arizona, to the Tucson/Nogales area, on a business trip, and was recommended to the Esplendor. Set up in the hills in Rio Rico, not far from Nogales...a comfortable distance...this golf resort has everything you'd want for an excellent, relaxing few days, or longer stay. I don't golf...loved the setting...Sonora desert architecture, environment; loved the views. A lovely pool in the middle of the facility; rooms in several buildings that surround the pool. The rooms, themselves, are large, southwestern style; fresh, modern. Large enough for a conference with 3 or 4 people. Well kept, clean. Food in the hotel is excellent at the Santa Rita Grill or the San Cayetano Restaurant. Especially nice was the front desk staff that furnished maps, directions, and even made phone calls...above and beyond. Great place!

Room Tip: Make reservations! This resort is great for the "non-resort" visit, as well!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I decided to spend a long weekend at Esplendor Resort. From the moment we arrived we were impressed. The staff was very helpful and enthusiastic, the grounds were immaculate and our room was very comfortable. We were sad to leave. We also got in a round of golf at a nearby golf course and enjoyed the splendid scenery of southern Arizona. One of the other enjoyable moments of our trip was talking with Johanna who was our server at breakfast each morning. She shared her knowledge of the area with us and passed along some great recommendations of things to see and do. In short, our visit was awesome and we look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Johnpageburton
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We live in the Phoenix area, our good friends live near Tucson. We try and get together several times a year and "hang out". We have been staying at the La Posada Casitas in Tucson, but they were full. Actually, we have been looking for a new place to meet since La Posada is in need of upgrades. So, we took advantage of the second night special at Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico last weekend. Booking was easy. Check-in with Jesus was also easy and quick. The grounds are really nice and well maintained. All the resort staff we met on the grounds/lobby/restaurant were very nice and truly seemed to be interested in making our stay enjoyable. We also stayed in a 2 room suite in the Quail building, our friends had a similar room in the jack rabbit building. The rooms are awesome! Since our trip is centered around talking and catching up with good friends, the 2 room suites are perfect. In fact, our friend's room 232/233 had a wet bar instead of a bathroom in the second room. Although it had 2 double beds instead of a king, which we wouldn't like. Depending which building you are in, you may not need to climb any stairs. We were on the second floor (266/267) in the quail building which is "ground" level. Our room had a king and bath in the first room, and a pull out couch and bath in the second room. The first floor is several steps down from the pool/lobby level. As I was checking out I said, "we have no reason not to come back!" The breakfast in the resort restaurant is good. I would recommend going elsewhere for the dinner as none of us liked it. The beds are in need of upgrading. Overall, a good, enjoyable, relaxing stay!

Room Tip: We did have a room on the north side and did hear dogs barking. Funny, when I was leaving, I found...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Saw the reviews, but as I also have a property, know that people can be very picky. We stayed two nights last week in a two room suite. Got a great rate calling the property, as they had a second night special. Linda at reception was very helpful. I used the sofabed, so not the best mattress. The room decor was creative with wood ladders as towel rack in the bathroom.The grounds and pool were spacious. Unfortunately wasn't able to spend the time I wanted enjoying the pool. I plan on returning, as one of my daughters moved to Tubac.

Room Tip: I slept well in the Jackrabbit unit.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at this resort last weekend for one night. It was my girlfriends birthday and she picked this place. First the good stuff.. The resort itself is very very nice. Large grounds to walk around and the pool was great. The service was outstanding and the food was good too. The front desk was very helpful too, and room service was quick. Now the downside. DO NOT stay on the north side of this resort. It borders a residential area and all night long dogs were barking. We couldn't get to sleep until 4:30 in the morning. Bring earplugs. Second, the beds and pillows have to be from the 80's. Worn out is not even close... If they had new mattress and pillows in every room they could ask $149 a night and it would still be a deal, just don't stay on the north side.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
33 mi away
Rancho de la Osa
Rancho de la Osa
#1 of 1 in Sasabe

Been to Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico? Share your experiences!