Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico
  • Restaurant
El Dorado Inn(Nogales)
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Older resort with lots of rustic charm. Excellent getaway for peaceful a quite vacation. The dining area is a must do. The views are magnificent in the evening and the warmth and charm of the dining area are romantic. The perfect deck to enjoy a beverage and kick back and relax. Staff is more than accomodating

Room Tip: Just ask!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We returned to Esplendor to play the wonderful RTJ golf course and enjoy the fabulous Easter Brunch, and both were fab once again. First let me say the staff are great, very willing to help. We love the decor in the rooms too. I would suggest the Mission King suite, which is furthest away from the main building for quiet which is what like. Dissapointing was the hot tub which is hot but the air has no pressure. That said, I'm not sure where this resort is going in the future. The restaurant now closes early for disco and kareoke night. There were flyers for comedy drag queen night. It's just not our cup of tea and not sure if we will be back again next year.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy Y
esplendorriorico, General Manager at Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Dear ktraverler2;
Thank you for your review of our property. I am very happy to hear that the food, service, rooms and golf were great. Our staff really goes the extra mile and we are glad that you enjoyed that part of your trip. On occasion we have experienced fluctuation in the pressure on the Jacuzzi jets, not in quite some time, but thank you for reporting it. As you know, our location is authentic and Mexican, yet on the US side of the Arizona border. In fact, many of our guests comment on how “it really is Mexico here, but safe”. We are true to the area and the "comedy drag queen" shows are one part of the local culture. We have hosted these on occasion over the years, in our private ballroom, away from the hotel lobby, restaurant and bar. These and other special events are open by paid admission. While it is not for everyone, it is similar to a cabaret show in a Vegas Hotel. Thank you for choosing us now and in the past, and rest assured that there has been no shift in policy since your last visit, only a question of the timing. I hope you will stay with us again. Thanks again and safe travels.

Reviewed March 22, 2011

Excellent hotel. Rooms are spacious and are comfortably furnished. Beautiful pool in the center of the things. Even more beautiful dining room, with food to match.

• Stayed: March 2011
esplendorriorico, General Manager at Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2011

Thank you so much for your kind words. Our staff and ownership take great pride in our property and even more in our personal service. Thank you again for your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Like most reviewers indicate, this is a lovely older hotel with great views. Upon checking in, we confirmed our agreed upon rate made at the time of reservation. However, when we got home, our bank statement indicated an extra $10 charge. When I called the hotel, they said it was a "resort fee". When I asked where on earth this fee was disclosed, the manager was unable to produce any document which reflected this sneaky little fee.
The restaurant seemed pricey, but the views were nice. Despite being the ONLY table seated in the entire restaurant, the service was slow and the food cold.
Overall, it was a mediocre experience. The Esplendor has the potential to be amazing, but it doesn't appear that it's too much of a priority. I'd easily recommend the nearby (pricier) Tubac Golf Resort over the Esplendor.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
esplendorriorico, General Manager at Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Thank you for taking your time to complete this review. I am very sorry that the resort fee was not disclosed to you, at the time of reservation. It is our policy and I will see to it that we are doing such in the future. I'm also sorry that the food quality and service were not in line with our standards. Busy or not, no excuses, this is not our standard and I am sorry that you had to put up with it. Our staff takes great pride in our property and our service and I am sorry that in this case, the result was not what either us would expect. I hope to see you in the near future. Thank you again for your time and for paying us a visit. Safe travels!

Reviewed January 31, 2011

While traveling on business in the Nogales area, I usually stay here, as it is a great location for the local area with a good restaurant, scenic views, good rooms, and other amenities like a large pool and exercise room. Also, the layout is unique, with the resort located on the top of a hill. The buildings are spread out with most having three levels of rooms. My only regret on this stay was to not request a top floor room...these usually have vaulted wood ceilings and great views.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Hokietraveller

Thank you for your time in commenting on your stay. This really is a great place here in the southwest and we are truly glad you enjoyed your time here. Make sure and mention the third floor option on check-in next time, either when you make your reservation or upon arrival. I'm sure we can make that happen. Thank you again and safe travels.