“Great setting, great service”
Review of Trophy's Steakhouse - CLOSED

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

W have dined in the Queen Creek location many times and we really enjoy the trophy setting. The owner has spent years hunting and mounting the trophies for the public display. The trophies are well mounted and very interesting. Great setting for folks that like that environment. The wait is staff is pleasant and friendly. I always seem to end up ordering the Buffalo meatloaf. The meat is tender and very lean, always cooked to perfection. My wife has sampled several items and she is always impressed. The prices are higher than most of the area, but the atmosphere makes for an enjoyable evening.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I ate at the Wild Side Grill (new name) last week. We were amazed at the tasteful displays with the game animals. Even more interesting, all were the result of one man's passion for game hunting. We experienced great service and had a WONDERFUL meal, and plan to go back every time we're in the area.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Decor was Dead Stuffed Animals all around the place. The display did NOT encourage an appetite. Food was so so, nothing great. Wait staff OK. Prices were on high side.

None of us would make a second appearance here. Shoulda listened to friends who had been here and didn't care for it.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We went here because we had a Groupon. After all the negative comments I saw on Yelp I was more than a little nervous, but we had a great evening. I don't know if they have a new chef or manager or what, but if so, keep it up!

[An Aside: If you are steadfastly anti-hunting you do not want to come here. I am not a hunt fan at all, and couldn't help but think that those stuffed animals on display would have looked a lot more beautiful alive. I couldn't help but wonder if the only reason this restaurant was opened was so the owner had a place to show off his kills. However, the purpose of this review is not a judgement about hunting, but about the quality of the meal experience.]

We arrived about 5:45 on a Friday night. We had a reservation for 6:00 but really didn't need it. There were only a handful of occupied tables at our arrival, though by our departure it was nearly full.

We were shown to a booth without hesitation. Our waitress immediately greeted us, and made sure to get our drink and appetizer orders in before the end of Happy Hour. She was helpful with the menu. She wasn't highly knowledgeable about some of the options (e.g., the fish used for the fish fry), but she readily obtained the info when asked.

Overall, service was very good - hubby didn't ever wait for a drink refill (iced tea). I did have to ask for a water refill once but that was at the end of the evening, at which point she had several active tables. She brought my wine in a little carafe, and poured just a little to give me a chance to taste and approve it. Don't typically see that outside classy restaurants.

We ordered the elk and buffalo sliders for appetizer. It was the first time I've had this meat, and although I'm not the most adventurous eater, I thought it was good. My husband had the shrimp chowder and fish fry with fries. I had the 16 oz prime rib with baked potato (also caesar salad).

The shrimp chowder was excellent, my husband said -- as good as any chowder he has had on either coast (and he's spent some time in Rhode Island and Washington state). It was light on the shrimp, but obviously made fresh. He was equally impressed with the fish -- as good as any he had in England or the coasts. He couldn't place the fish, and the waitress asked the chef, who said it was Pacific basai. The coleslaw that accompanied it was very tasty. The fries were large, like steak fries, with a delicious seasoned coating.

I was a little leery about ordering the larger cut of prime rib because so often that just means you get a lot more fat, but not this time. It was a big hunk of meat, and it was cooked perfectly (medium rare). Two rolls were brought to the table, but that was actually plenty. They were typical dinner rolls, nothing fancy, but tasty.

We were too full to have any dessert.

Our bill before the Groupon was $56. That seemed very reasonable to us given that we'd had an appetizer, 2 delicious entrees, salad, chowder, rolls, and 2 drinks (wine).

It can be difficult to find as it is not right on the road. Its on Power Rd, just north of Rittenhouse intersection. Turn where you see LA Fitness and its a little ways into the parking lot.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The dead animals were great, makes it look like Cabella's, and for people who like to hunt. As far as a restaurant, not so good. The waitress was adorable and helpful, The meat (elk meatloaf) was good however the prime rib was super tough, couldnt eat it. For $20 a serving we did get a 25% discount (yea, glad it was a Groupon deal) The manager kind of treated us like an inconvenience for bringing the coupon, maybe thats why we got the tough prime rib? Anyhow, she did give us a complementary dessert, which was tasty!

2  Thank SoAJ