“Poor Management” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Phoenix, Arizona
“Poor Management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Prescott last week on Friday for business. I do a lot of traveling and have always stayed at Intercontinental brands so I can collect points so when I get time off I can use them for a few free night stays. :) I love that my points never expire, its great! Anyway, upon check in they were busy and there was a line of people waiting to check in with only one person behind the desk. Finally when I got to the front I asked the clerk why she was the only one checking people in. She stated the manager was there for backup but never came out to help. It was up to her to check in the guests, setup the 'managers' reception, and answer the phone while the manager just sat in her office and did nothing to help. Finally after almost a half an hour later I got checked in and went up to my room. They told me that this was a non-smoking hotel but as soon as I opened the door it smelt horrible. I have asthma and couldn't take it. I went down to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. The clerk went to the back and spoke to the manager but she refused to speak to me. What kind of manager is that!? It is her job to handle this! Thankfully the clerk was willing to move me with no problem. She was very professional. After returning late that night I spoke to the night person about setting up a wake up call and if he knew of any good places to visit while I was down here. He knew the area very well and was very courteous. I began to explain to him the problem I had when I was checking in and he apologized for the lack of professionalism from the manager. Never should a employee have to apologize for their manager. Never! I asked when she was going to be in again and the night clerk stated she doesn't have a set time that she arrives but normally gets here late morning. He asked if there was anything he could do to make my stay here better and just to joke around I said that he could let me into the pool and get me something to eat. Sure enough he did just that. Wish I could remember his name. The next morning I came down for breakfast and enjoyed a good meal. I really liked that they had a pancake machine! I have never seen one before. They had a good variety of food to choose from too. After breakfast I went to check out and asked if the manager was in. No surprise, she wasn't. I once again asked when she was going to be in and the morning clerk didn't have a answer for me. Not quite as professional as the other two but she was very nice and asked if she could help me. I told her all I wanted to do was speak to the manager about the smell of smoke in my original room but she just avoids me. The front desk people are the only reason I would ever even consider coming here again.

Room Tip: Don't come here! The manager is horrible!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mike W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Prescott, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Mike W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in the our hotel soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

The DH and I were lookIng for a nice place to stay close to our church camp grounds. This really exceeded our expectation. We have stayed here before bilit neither of us remembered it this nice. Great remodel. We had a huge king size room with sofa bed. Family unexpectedly needed to stay with us & a roll away did. It hinder us moving around. The breakfast was way better than any Express we have stayed in. We will stay here again and lived the warm cookies each evening. One evening they saved some for us! Special!! Great staff and all friendly!

• Stayed July 2012
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Really nice Holiday Inn Express.Whoever manages this hotel should be commended.The pool area is country-club nice & well-ventilated, with a lovely painted mural on the walls, even quiet piped-in music.Very well-kept up, towels provided, very clean.Rooms nicely appointed, comfortable with little extras.Modern fridge, micro, hospitality set-up.Breakfast better than I make!Great Value and nice surprise.It had a small laundry, cardio room and dry heat sauna also.

Room Tip: We had a king-bed room, very nice and roomy for a couple.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra J
Bent Mountain, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I traveled to Prescott on business and my reservation was made by my client. While this property is alongside to Route 69 it's a little dicey to get to. That said, the only two negatives were parking, which is a bit distant from entrances, and a small breakfast area. Plusses are a "manager's reception" Monday through Thursday, an indoor pool and whirlpool and nicely appointed rooms. The glowing, outstanding positive is Josh Taylor at the front desk. Every problem I had was taken care of by him promptly and courteously. He is a real gem!

Room Tip: Top floor is very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank filmbuyer2016
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We returned to this hotel and got the same good deal as last time. Nice rooms and excellent pool/sauna facility. Breakfast was varied and plentiful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lasne, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

We had already been in this hotel and like the other times, we were happy we stopped there. Spacious rooms, very decent (free) breakfast and a pretty good indoor pool with jacuzzi and sauna. The free wifi in th whole hotel (not only in the lobby like in some other hotels) is definitely a big plus. Wouls recommend it, especially for families with kids.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Central Florida, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

My family stayed here for 2 nights to attend a local graduation. The hotel is fairly new and just sparkles. The rooms were super clean and had everything you might need: coffee maker, iron/ironing board, mini fridge, extra towels, radio with MP3 plug and excellent water pressure!

The best part was the complimentary breakfast. Lots of choices, healthy and hearty. As a bonus, the coffee was actually quite decent.

The hotel is located near a major shopping mall which gives you lots of eating opportunities within walking distance (if you don't mind dodging a little traffic).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family