“A Charming and Pleasant Surprise in the Heart of Arizona”

Heritage House Motel
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“A Charming and Pleasant Surprise in the Heart of Arizona”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The first words that come to mind are CLEAN, RELIABLE AND AFFORDABLE! When you book a privately owned non-corporate hotel/motel, there is a certain expectation. You don't typically expect to have a 4-Star experience, and you anticipate small potential issues that can come from limited staff and unknown brand value. This was not the case with my recent experience staying at the Hertitage House.

In mid March 2013, I flew into Phoenix at 10:30PM from Indiana. I then had to get to the rental car location and drive to Prescott. Worried about a potential late check-in, I attempted to call the Hotel but had no luck. Also, there was no answering machine to leave a message on. This scared me initially, and even more so when I finally arrived at 1:10AM and saw multiple neon signs flashing "NO VACANCY" and the entire parking lot filled to capacity and even overflowing (that is a good sign!). After finding the last parking spot left, I managed to make my way around the building to the office location. There I learned that the office closes at 10:00PM (welcome to western living). With nothing to loose, I put my hand in the mail box next to the door and found a key with a note attached to me. It read "Here is you key. Your room is around back. Sorry we were not open when you arrived. Have a pleasant night." Now that is the kind of sweet and thoughtful people that own this place!

When I arrived to my room and opened the door, the air was fresh and crisp and smelled like home. When the lights came on, I found myself in a decent sized room with obvious care taken to make sure the place was clean and tidy. It was truly a remarkable and unexpected sight. Still being skeptical, I pulled-back the sheets to the bed. There I found pressed linens that smelled fresh and looked inviting. I had a wonderful night's sleep. In the morning, I took a shower and was surprised to find decent pressure and the basic amenities of soap and shampoo. The towels were clean, washed and still had some fluff left to them. The only thing missing was an iron in the room. But I learned that this amenity is available free of charge from the office during normal office hours.

In the end, if you are expecting fluffy-white cotton cloud-like towels, or a strong visual presence like you would expect from the four-seasons, or some other pretentious hotel chain, then you are going to be disappointed. If however you are looking for a little jem in the desert, desire to stay at an inn where the owners are european immigrants living the American dream, and have a heart for old-world style hospitality, then this is the place for you.

I would give you one little piece of advice... along with old-world hospitality comes an underlying subtle demand for guests to respect the property, its owners. I actually inquired about some of the negative reviews posted here with the owners. As a neutral 3rd party.. and a person who got to inspect other rooms in the motel (long story), I can tell you that they were written by people who tried to 'get one by' on the owners and got caught.

At the end of the proverbial day, this place is worthy of your stay... and in our world today, a flashing neon "NO VACANCY" sign and a packed parking lot on a Wednesday night says volumes!

Room Tip: This is a small place. I stayed on the first floor around the back of the hotel, room 114.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Larry_Millholland
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for the wonderful review of our motel. We really appreciate your kind and warm words and are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Cleanliness, friendliness, and great service are our top priorities here and we are happy to hear that our guests are appreciating our hard work and efforts. We hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Prescott. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The management was extremely rude. I personally travel a lot and have stayed in numerous hotels, but the experience I had at the heritage house motel was horrible. I will never recommend this place to anyone. Additionally, the towels they gave us were used and not clean along with a half bottle of shampoo. It is a cheap place to stay, but $10 more you could stay in a better hotel. They lost our business and recommendations.

• Stayed March 2013
8 Thank chrisfawcett1224
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear customer, we are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. However, we are unclear as to why you are upset. It is highly unlikely that the towels in the room, the additional fresh towels which you were given, and the shampoo were used and unclean. If that was the case, why did you wait to post this in a review and not notify the motel staff upon checking-in? Usually if there is an issue, customers let us know right away and we address the problem; they do not wait until they get home from their travels and notify us then. If you are upset that the front desk clerk asked you to pay for the additional 3 adults, we do apologize however that is our policy. When you made the reservation and upon check-in, you had stated there will be only 2 people occupying the room and not 5. To you it may not seem a problem bringing 3 extra adults; but when taking into account the expensive utilities, it is a loss for us. We wish you the best of travels.
Woody Creek, Colorado
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Reliable, clean, affordable, and comfortable! The Heritage House Motel is my number one choice of lodging when I come to Prescott for my grad school colloquia. Why stay anywhere else? It's close to town, the price is right, the people who run it are friendly and helpful, and I know I'll get a good night's sleep - which is a necessity when you're in grad school! Stay here. End of story.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kristina W
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you very much for the positive review. We are grateful for the kind words and are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I wanted to review a review a few weeks ago, but forgot! I will now be staying at the HEritage House Motel for my fourth stay as a Prescott Student over the last year. After a flight, and a shuttle in 15 passenger vans, Heritage House Motel is a wonderful rest-stop for R+R, and re-coop time before academia hits in. I have stayed at two other establishments and this place is by far the best. It has already been stated how clean the rooms are, and in addition the folks that run this hotel are extremely helpful and friendly. During my first visit the wi-fi was not working, however we quickly realized it was my computer. I was given quick and friendly service and have had no other issues with the wi-fi. Seriously, the price is perfect, is is WONDERFULLY CLEAN and it is a gem in the Prescott area! All other Prescott masters students reading this review, should book all their Colloquium experiences at the Heritage House Motel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review, we really appreciate it. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again. Thank you once again for the review and recommendation.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My name is Rosemary and I am a nurse. I planned to take an ongoing course in Prescott and my instructor suggested Heritage House to me, especially the top floor with the mountain views.
From my first stay. I was pleased how the owners warmly greeted me, by the economical rates and the CLEANLINESS !! As a nurse, this is important to me. In all. I have stayed there 9 times, from 3 to 11 day stays. It is like my home away from home. I always had a parking spot close to the stairs that I took to the second floor.
I am usually given the same room which I greatly appreciate. The owners are attentive and since I travel alone, I feel very safe and comfortable at Heritage House Motel.
I have recommended a stay there to the other persons in my course and they have also appreciated staying there. I recommend Heritage House Motel highly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rosemary D
Thank you very much for the wonderful review. Cleanliness, friendliness, and great service are our top priorities here. We really appreciate you taking the time to let other travelers know about our motel.
Taylorsville, Utah, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed 5 days at this Motel during the last part of July / first part of August and it was great! The A/C worked very well and kept the room real cool, even though my room faced west and it was pretty hot outside during the afternoon. I spoke with the owners several times during my stay and found them to be very cordial and accommodating. I've seen the reviews regarding this motel and I found them to be all wrong, as this was a great place to come back to after long days of sight seeing in Prescott. After staying at this Motel, it is really apparent to me that the nay-sayers are very entitlement issued people and probably should not go out in public without their mommy holding their hand. I'll be more than happy to stay there upon future visits to Prescott, Arizona and wished more Motel owners had the work ethic that these fine folks do !!!!

Randy Lish
Utah

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Randy L
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to write us the wonderful review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you next time.
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed here with a friend. Was 11 minutes late to check out and got an irate phone call from the woman. When i returned the keys she grabbed them from me and was very rude. I was trying to be so nice to this woman. I had to wait for the male to go look through the room before we could get our deposit back. They freaked out over a missing towel that was never in the room. The male started ripping sheets and blankets off the bed looking for this towel and we both told them we had to use the same one, there was never two in there. The woman came in and we tried to explain the same thing to them but both this man and woman were so rude, saying that theres no way they would forget to put two towels in a two bed room. They made such a big fuss over it. Finally my friend offered to let them go through her things and i told them we have no interest in stealing their towels. The woman finally handed over our deposit, clearly not happy about it. These people are rude and crazy. They were unhappy to begin with and tore this room apart over a towel that was never there to begin with. You can attempt to dispute this all you want but your very rude and miserable people. With your attitudes you are clearly in the wrong business. Me and my friend are very sweet girls, kept our mouths shut and allowed you to bully us and call us liers. And we were very patient with you people the entire time. You should be ashamed of yourselves, i hope you go out of business. You get on here and dispute these other peoples claims, you were NEVER accommodating or polite in any way so i definitely believe you were this rude to other people. I would not give you one star if the option was available. You were that bad and i feel sorry that anyone could be as mean and hateful as you two clearly are on a regular basis.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank Heather B
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear upset customer and potential customers,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Every hotel and motel has a specified check-in and check-out time which the guest has to follow. At the Heritage House Motel, the check-out time is at 11:00 AM and check-in time is at 2:00PM. It was already 11:30 AM when the clerk contacted the upset guest and by the time they checked-out it was already 12:15PM. If you would like to have a late check-out it is your responsibility to notify the office either the day you arrive or early morning.

People do not realize this, but many guests do not have respect for one another. For example, we have had guests upset with us in the past for not letting them check-in at 8:00AM. When the room is occupied from the previous night, we cannot ask someone to leave before the check-out time. This is why we enforce our check-in and check-out time and try to accommodate everyone.

The reason why we require deposits is due to the fact that many guests take our towels, pillows, TV remote controls, and other small items from the rooms. These items as small as they might seem do cost the motel lots of money to replace. All of the rooms at the motel are inventoried at check-in as well as check-out, so it is very unlikely that there were missing towels in the room. Our staff did not ask to check the upset guest’s bags and belongings. We do not check guest’s bags and belongings nor have we in the past.

-HHM_Management