“Go Somewhere Else...”

El Gato Azul
Ranked #4 of 229 Restaurants in Prescott
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Description: An Eclectic Mix of Spanish Inspired Tapas, and Southwestern Entrees.Quirky, fun atmosphere with outdoor patio dining, live music, full bar and extensive wine selections, bottled beers, as well as draft.Locals favorite for Happy Hour.Open Daily at 11 except Saturday and Sunday, when we open at Noon. Reservations excepted.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

WOW was I disappointed in this place. We went last night. The food was pretty good, ignoring my somewhat tough and chewy chicken, but that is where the good ends. When we arrived at 6pm there were several tables open, both inside and out. We requested a table for two and were asked if we had a reservation. I said that we did not, and was given a displeasing look, and told, "That's okay." as if I would be given a pass just this once. We were given the option of three tables, being informed that the last one is "kind of chilly, so you probably don't want to sit there." I told her I actually preferred a bit of a chill, and that we would be fine taking the table others might not want. They had a live band, who wasn't half bad, until the owner came along and decided to croon (every song in the same exact tone). Apparently, his life goal is to sing and not to manage his staff, because he did a lot more singing and schmoozing than anything else. Meanwhile, our server (audrey, aubrey?) came by and asked if we would like drinks, I ordered, and also mentioned that we would like to start with some Tapas. We ordered two. An HOUR later, she brought us one of the orders and walked away. No drink refills, no "are you ready to order?", nothing. We ate like rabid dogs we were so hungry. The food was gone in no time and she came back to clear the plate and told us the others would be out in a few minutes. I finally had to ask if we could order. She replied "sure" as if the thought hadn't crossed her mind at all. I ordered, and when my husband tried, he was told that someone else had just ordered the last one of the only thing on the menu he wanted, and the reason we had gone there in the first place. Okay, people run out of food sometimes. But we had been waiting to order for over an hour. Had she managed to consider taking our order before now, we might have gotten some. Second order of tapas came out a few minutes later. My husband gave up on getting a second glass of wine, and simply requested water to go with his meal. Several times I noticed our serving going in and out and looking around as though she was bored. Not once did she come by to do anything except throw food or a bill at us and run away before we could ask for anything else. Finally, we get our food (at around 20 minutes to 8) we ate quickly and waited for her to cash us out. When she finally came to get the check, my husband asked for another water (his second glass for the evening). Apparently this confused her, because she left the check and got water. When she came back, she still forgot the check. Giving up on waiting for her again, I went to the car while he took the check inside to pay at the register (this is not that kind of place, but we were done). Lo and behold,our server is standing behind the bar, elbows on the counter showing a coworker all the cool things her new phone can do! So much for assuming she might be busy. Perhaps if the owner spent less time singing, he could chat with her about her poor customer service skills. Bottom line, I have seen better service from a bum at an overpass. Good food or not, I will take my business to Prescott Station next time.

4  Thank Angikins
blbcorners, Owner at El Gato Azul, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to dine with us, and for writing a review on here and also on Yelp.

I want to first apologize for your not being pleased with your experience, and hope that you would consider giving El Gato anther try.

However, I do have to admit that I am very confused by your review. - and by the harshness of your critique. Our entire staff does our best to provide a relaxing, fun dining experience to all our guests. While we are not perfect, I do feel there may be some embellishments in your review.

I was at the door with the hostess when you arrived shortly after 6pm. You were greeted and offered a couple of options for seating. You and your husband sat at table 91, right in view of the music, and looked to me like you were having a very nice evening. I noticed your head on his shoulder and having what appeared to be a very romantic evening. I especially made the point of not coming to your table because you both looked very involved.

While you may have perceived a delay in your food arriving to your table - each dish is prepared fresh to order and when reviewing you check this morning, nothing appeared out of the ordinary.

While I do sit in with the band on Sunday evenings, I still make a point of making the rounds during breaks and step down if the restaurant is busy, or I am called away.

The Schmoozing as you noted was talking to tables, checking on ticket times etc. There was nothing out of sorts as best I could tell. I may have missed something in regards to your table, and so again I apologize.

On Sunday evenings - esp after a busy weekend, we can occasionally run out of or low on some items - so I do apologize for that. I'm not certain which item you specifically came in for - but do apologize that the item was not available. All items on the entire menu are made fresh in house daily, and the menu clearly states that some items are in limited quantity.

I am not certain what during your evening turned into what you obviously perceive as a disaster, but perhaps had you mentioned this to the hostess, a server, or myself, the situation could have been rectified.

I always make a point of using all reviews and comments as training tools, and will also address your concerns with your server and our entire staff.

Hopefully will join us again, and if you do - please let me know how your experience goes - I'm confident you will not be disappointed.

But I want to warn you ahead of time that I sit in with the band every Sunday (more a diversion than career path) - so you may want o pick another evening - we have great music Thursday & Friday evenings.

Thanks again for dinging with us - I'm truly sorry you were not satisfied, but again, it was not obvious to anyone that you were displeased.

All the best,

Barry L. Barbe
owner and crooner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,019)

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I went here for dinner with a girlfriend on a Friday evening. The atmosphere was lovely, sat outside and listened to the guitarist singing. The small plates of food which we shared, were delicious. The place was crowded so it clearly has a good reputation. I would go here again and recommend it to others.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great little tapas bar just off Whiskey Row. Pleasant surprise to our visit as I would associate the town with a café or steak house long before a tapas bar. Great patio area along Granite Creek

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Love the outdoor patio and live music. The food is good - when you eventually get it. I have been to El Gato several times but every time we go we get terrible service. There is no organization - people running here and there not sure what is going on. Once we were finally seated we waited and waited and finally had to ask for a menu. Then it took forever for someone to come take our order. It was 45 minutes until we finally got our food and then we had to ask for silverware and napkins. The people next to us said they had the same problem with the service.

2  Thank Suzanne G
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Love the outdoor patio! Food and service is fabulous. Great place to join friends or time alone with that special person. Each time I have eaten at El Gato Azul I have been 100% pleased.

1  Thank TMillerPrescott