“Longtime customer has had enough. . .”
Review of El Gato Azul

El Gato Azul
Ranked #4 of 215 Restaurants in Prescott
Cuisines: Southwestern, Bar, Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: An Eclectic Mix of Spanish Inspired Tapas, and Southwestern Entrees.Quirky, fun atmosphere with outdoor patio dining, live music, full bar and extensive wine selections, bottled beers, as well as draft.Locals favorite for Happy Hour.Open Daily at 11 except Sunday, when we open at Noon.
Prescott, Arizona
“Longtime customer has had enough. . .”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

At El Gato Azul, the food is really quite good and the environment is nice in the spring and fall. The place has good potential, but ultimately is just not worth the effort, at least for locals and business clients.

The service is so inconsistent that you never know what to expect, if it will be great or an embarrassment to your guests or clients. We have been eating at Barry's restaurants for nearly a decade, and despite my sincere efforts to support these local businesses it is just no longer worth the effort.

Let me provide an example: Several years ago, Barry agreed to accept American Express from corporate customers. He not only expressed this to me verbally, but responded to my earlier review on Tripadvisor with these exact words:

"In response to you query about accepting Amex: We do accept Amex for corporate cardholders, and for others if they do not have another card available. The corporate card is the most expensive to accept, and but there are other reasons for the decision. In tight financail times, we have had to make decisions that are best for the business, but try to accomodate our guests as best possible. We prefer, Visa, MC & Discover however. "

Today, I had a lunch with one of my friends and business associates and attempted to pay by American Express, to which I was not only told no, but in the most discourteous and unprofessional manner. First by the server and then by Barry himself, despite me reminding him that he had agreed to take the card in the past. As a local business owner, we have spent thousands and thousands of dollars in Barry's restaurants- the $40 for lunch today is our last.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank expeditionswest
blbcorners, Owner at El Gato Azul, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
I am sorry that not bring able to use your Amex has stopped you from dining with us.

I too used my Amex exclusively, until I realized that small businesses were paying for my card perks. While I do not want to lose any customers, we simply saw a reduced amount of customers wishes to pay with Amex. I have yet to encounter a Amex card holder that does not have another form of payment.

We continually evaluate all aspects of the business and make changes when needed. We made the Amex exception for a small portion of our clientele, and over that past six months have had a few as two cards used in a month.

It was a very simple decision to make. Less paperwork , less tracking, and a small savings on card processing fee. More than that, I simply do not agree with how Amex places the burden of cardholder benefits on the business owner, charges the highest fees, and can hold funds for 5- 7 days (while taking their fees immediately.) I don't like how they do business.

The comment you are referring to was made over two years ago when you were very upset that we were not accepting Amex. At that time I changed the policy to satisfy a small percentage of our client base. Even Amex users are aware of less businesses accepting the card.

If you noted in my response, I mentioned that we were only accepting Amex when no other form of payment was possible. However, very recently, we stopped accepting the card all together.

I am sorry you took such a personal offense to the cards that we accept, but it clearly states on our menu, front door, web site and facebook page the forms of payment we accept.

Thanks for dining with us, and thanks for your comments.

Las Vegas, NV
“What is so great about this place???”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I took my family here during a business trip, after hearing all the positive reviews. I can't say enough how disappointed we were. The service was horrible- the waitstaff was rude, and short with us, despite the fact that there were only 2 other tables of guests. We sat in the outdoor area, which was nice, but when a big gust of wind blew our drinks over, the waitstaff was only concerned with the beer that spilled on their tablecloth, not the beer in our laps. They didn't even offer to replace the drinks, or move us to another table to appropriately clean up the mess. We ended up wiping down the table ourselves and had to ask for more napkins to do so. We sampled a few of the tapas which were horrible. I make better food in my kitchen, and that isn't saying much. The sangria, they're supposedly famous for, was nothing but a cheap bottle of vino with some added sugar and an orange wedge. Seriously? And don't even think about asking about dietary restrictions. We inquired as to whether they knew of any items were gluten-free. The waiter mumbled yes, but couldn't answer basic questions regarding how the items were prepared. He clearly had no idea what gluten was- and shouldn't have claimed otherwise. Super risky if you're a Celiac.

• Visited April 2013
Southport, CT
“Good food”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Restaurant offered a pleasant setting and good food. We had been traveling and the tapas style menu offered choices of light fare perfect for us. They had music playing which was nice. Our service was not as good as would have liked but it was a busy evening.
I would return.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Caren S
Tucson, Arizona, United States
“Great Tapas”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was our first visit to El Gato Azul. We decided to order from the Tapas menu and were not disappointed. We started with the Baked Brie Nachos, followed by the Sante Fe Shrimp, Beef Pinchos and then Barry's Chorizo Hash. All dishes were very tasty and went well with our bottle of Zinfandel. We finished the evening with a piece of chocolate Grenache cake, which was heavenly. We opted to sit indoors since it was a cool, rainy evening. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable of the dishes, so she helped guide us through our menu selections. We will definitely return whenever we are in the area.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank GailandSteve R
Prescott, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly, Unique, Creative with Great Food”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Barry has a great little restuarant and a great patio where he and staff serve fantastic dishes. Check El Gato out on Facebook and learn about the latest Creation and about local musicians or art. Enjoy!

Visited May 2013