“Mediocre Mexican Food”

El Charro Restaurant
Ranked #87 of 226 Restaurants in Prescott
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Delivery
Description: We have a family dining room and a Sports Cantina. We serve large parties up to 50 people and offer free delivery in Prescott as well as off site catering services.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I went to El Charro soon after I moved to Prescott hoping it would be of similar caliber as the El Charro in Tucson. It did not come near to that. I had a chile burrito, enchilada style. The filling was tasty but the red sauce seemed to be bland and lacked character. The original part of the restaurant is typical of the store front cafes you find elsewhere, seemingly straight out of the 50's and 60's. The other half of the restaurant has a nice bar and the atmosphere is a little more fun. I would go back here again if someone insisted that I do so, but I doubt I will eat there again on my own.

1  Thank AZDennis

Reviewed July 10, 2013

There were some surprises. The server brought out chips with salsa and I looked at the salsa as though it was just "tomato sauce" but in actuality it was flavorful with the right amount of hotness. I could not stop dipping my chips in and putting it on my cheese crisp. Yum. I was also surprised by the guacamole. They said they made it fresh...it is fresh like I have never had before. It was creamy and smooth with chunks of avocado and once again filled with flavor. As I mentioned, I had a cheese crisp with chicken. It fit the bill. It had just the right amount of shredded chicken and cheese. I would go back for that. I had a cranberry mojito...not so impressed. I should have stayed with a margarita. Zane was our server and he was attentive and helpful. The décor is basic. Would I go again, yes.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We visited El Charro after our first choice of a restaurant for the evening had an hour wait. We were seated quickly and our initial service of chips, salsa and water was fast. It was obvious that they were slammed in the kitchen. Our waiter was friendly and checked on us occasionally but it took a long time to get our food. When the orders were brought, there was some confusion as to what meals were ordered and one of our diners' meals did not arrive with the rest. We were assured that it would be out momentarily but it took a while longer and it was incorrectly prepared. It then took another fifteen minutes before it came out properly prepared. Everyone else had finished their meals since it was taking so long. The waiter was apologetic but could have done more to speed the process. We were eventually given a complimentary dinner for our whole group. Overall, the food was fine. Perhaps we went on a bad night. The walls were decorated in part with awards for Best Mexican Food in Prescott, Arizona. We would try them again based on the food.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We went to El Charro and ordered our meals, and the waitress asked if we wanted rice and beans for an extra $3. We were surprised that what comes standard in other Mexican restaurants costs extra here, but agreed. Imagine our shock when the bill came and we were charged $6, $3 for beans AND $3 for rice. Because of their shady pricing and upselling practices, we will not be returning here.

1  Thank Jane J
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Was a busy lunchtime on a Sunday afternoon. Being seated and actually getting menu's seemed a bit of a challenge for them on this day, we were seated but not given menu's for a while, got the feeling the wait staff may have been a bit overwhelmed for a brief while. So that's okay. The chips and salsa, well personally salsa is always a matter of taste, this was an okay non chunky variety, which i personally lean toward, except it was a bit too mild and almost sweet tomato in flavour. The chips had no salt and were the hard stiff slightly burned in taste type one sometimes gets, hopefully if you eat mexican alot you will know what i mean. Had a Frybread with red chili. Was a bit disappointed the chili was they style where it tasted like beef stew. and the whole affair quickly became a bit soggy. Really wanted to enjoy the restaurant as it had a good location and general style was acceptable, but overall the meal was disappointing.

Been to El Charro Restaurant? Share your experiences!