“Great Steak”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
NEW CUMBERLAND
“Great Steak”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Always go to Cattlemans for tremendious steaks when in Prescott. They also have great bbq. Not fancy but great food.

Visited September 2013

Las Vegas
“As a steakhouse it needs some improvement”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I heard that this restaurant was deemed as one, if not the best, steakhouse in Prescott, AZ.
What I found was a cheesy decorated restaurant that looked like an old paneled basement with a bar.
The day had been rainy and damp and the air conditioning unit made the seating area extremely cold, cooling off the patrons food quite fast. I also, was disappointed that for a steakhouse there was not a basket of rolls, bread, or fresh biscuits put onto the table to accompany the salads.
Having a party of four, two ordered the lamb chops which they both found to be cooked to perfection, however, a filet mignon and a rib eye steak were both overcooked despite having ordered it to be medium-rare. The waitress was adivised of the error and stated she would contact the chef, however, no amenities were made to satisfy the customer.
I would suggest this restaurant for a fast lunch, but not for a dinner venue...it was a disappointment.

• Visited August 2013
Ogden, Utah
“I wanted to like it...”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went on a Friday night and the place was almost full. One of the servers told us to sit anywhere. We found a table and our drink order was taken immediately. I ordered a glass of the house Cabernet and husband got Amber Bock on draft. I excused myself to go to the restroom which was very clean. When I returned to the table the server had delivered our drinks and asked if we were ready to order. I told her I hadn't even opened my menu and that was the last we saw of her. After about fifteen minutes one of the other servers noticed we had been waiting for a while and took our order. She now became our server. She was waiting tables as the other end of the restaurant but could see that our original server had abandoned us. The kitchen is open, so patrons can see the food being prepared. The kitchen and restaurant are spotlessly clean. Our salads were served and were just okay. I noticed the table behind us got a basket of warm dinner rolls but we were never offered any. Gradually the place became more chaotic and I heard one of the servers tell two others that they needed to get synchronized. Our drinks were empty and we ordered another round. After a few more minutes, a third server asked us if we wanted another round and promptly returned with them. We finally got our food and the steaks were excellent. I ordered the filet and husband got the ribeye. Each were $21.95. We each got a baked potato and they were just so so. Nothing special. While we were eating the main chef told the others he had run out of something and had to run to the store. At that point the kitchen had slowed down but the servers were still in chaos. As our server ran by she asked if we wanted dessert. We hadn't seen a dessert menu and didn't want to add to the chaos by asking for one, so we just asked for our bill. On the positive side the place is very clean, the servers are friendly, the steaks very good. I think this restaurant can be very good with some leadership and more training. I never saw anyone in charge and coordinating things. We will give it another try in a few weeks (on a week night) to see if things have become more organized because the steaks were very good.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Laura56
Prescott, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“THEY ARE NOT CLOSED!!!!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

THE CATTLEMAN’S BAR GRILL IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!!!! They have been re-opened for a couple of months now. PLEASE IGNORE the reviews that state that they are “PERMANENTLY CLOSED” – that’s not true!

I entered the restaurant, and I was told to “sit anywhere you want” by one of the staff members as she made her way across the dining room. I felt a little lost. I think they could benefit from a hostess to seat people. I waited a little longer than I would have liked to before my waitress approached my table with a menu. However, she apologized and took my drink order. She returned with my iced tea quickly. I ordered the half rack of baby back ribs, with sweet potato fries and a garden salad. The salad arrived shortly, and it was impressive – mixed greens, red onions, grape tomatoes, and crisp croutons. The bleu cheese dressing was rich and chunky, just the way I like it. I took a moment between the salad and the entrée to check out the restroom. It was clean and fresh – a sure sign of the overall cleanliness of the restaurant.

My ribs were a bit on the dry side. I wished they had tasted as good as they looked. I asked for a side of BBQ sauce and that helped, but it was definitely an afterthought. The flavor was spot on, but they tasted like they’d been rushed a bit. Ribs need to be cooked low and slow. The sauce was excellent – spiced just right. The sweet potato fries were waffle style, and they were crispy and flavorful.

I think this restaurant is paying for the sins of its past – I didn’t have the opportunity to critique them under the old owners, so I can’t comment on that. But I think the new owners are committed to delivering great, down-home quality food at a reasonable price. I would definitely suggest that you give them a try. Next time I will try one of the several steaks they offer. I’m looking forward to dining with them again.

• Visited March 2013
Prescott, Arizona
“Definitely will return”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had not been there since they re-opened, so decided to give it a try. GREAT experience. Three of us had steak -- ribeyes and filet. Perfectly cooked, very tender. Sweet potato fries are my preference and the waffle cut was a nice change. Had the best beer I have EVER tasted -- Orange Blossom Wheat Ale. Prices were higher than before, but within normal range for a great steak. I will definitely be a return customer -- and not just for the beer!!

• Visited January 2013