“Sweet Anne's Home Style Cooking”
Review of Sweet Anne's Cafe - CLOSED

Sweet Anne's Cafe
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It was very hard to find, with it being small and tucked in between larger buildings. Making it even harder to find especially when cars and trucks are parked in front of the place!

I was a little leery to eat here. It was cute enough from the outside, and I was hugely impressed with the care that they took in preparing to open for business. I arrived about 15 minutes before they opened, giving myself plenty of time to find the place based on my prior effort at trying to find it the day before. It was within these fifteen minutes that I was able to watch as tables were cleaned with a spray bottle and paper towels. The area was swept, and a little snail was saved, and placed back at the bottom of the front tree. However when I walked into the place it smelled heavily of cigarette smoke. Was I really smelling what I thought I was, or was this just a really old place with foreign smells. It was almost more than I could take, but I decided to stay put and order breakfast.

Again, I was searching for a place that offered gluten free eating, and I was not disappointed. I ordered scrambled eggs, and toast with a side of homemade applesauce and cottage cheese. If you have ever tried making gluten free toast, you know it can be tricky. My plate arrived looking great, but the server felt the toast might have been overly toasted, so she offered to make me more at no extra charge. I turned down the offer, knowing how sensitive GF toast can be, and proceeded to enjoy my breakfast. I was just so happy to finally be able to enjoy eggs and toast, that I didnt even notice the toast being overly toasted. I think she was just being an awesome hostess and trying to please her customer in all manners.

Strangely enough this place is run like the Raven, in that you place your order first right when you walk in, and then after paying you take a seat. The only difference is the servers then bring you your COFFEE and meal to your table. I'm guessing this helps weed out those who have no intention of paying. I am sure it is also speedier this way too.

In addition to menu items, they make all sorts of goodies both GF and not. Unfortunately the GF Quiche I had heard all the rave about was not made yet. These ladies are super friendly, they stop by your table at just the right time. Not too often, and not too little. However, several times my dishes were piling up and they did not take them with them back to the kitchen. I would have liked to have had my table cleared, but that was not a problem really.

It appeared from the menu on the wall, that they only offer you the choice of scrambled eggs. I don't know why that is, if it makes it easier for them, or if they are actually using pourable eggs and it would be all they have to offer. Fortunately I only like my eggs scrambled so again, not a problem.

Oh WOW let me tell you about their bacon! I LOVE THEIR BACON! It is thin, and I mean THIN! It is the BEST bacon I have ever tasted, and three slices was nowhere near enough! I would suggest asking for a double order. Seriously.

My small coffee was nice and large, and I was then offered a to-go cup of coffee to take along with me, which I loved! Breakfast and lunches are served from open to close.

The dining room was very small and cozy, seating only about 15 inside. If the restaurant fills to capacity, I can imagine it would get quite noisy in such a small area, especially if families with babies or young children arrive. Unfortunately the bathroom opened up directly into the dining room. Lets hope any noise or smells don't escape! The bathroom was very nice though, all things considered.

Outside you can sit at one of two tables, overall seating about 8 people. Dogs are evidently welcomed in this outdoor area, although I would not want to personally be dining among them.

Overall, another HIGHLY recommended eatery for breakfast and lunch. I forgot to tell you about my sandwiches at lunch, but again, I was not disappointed! You have to try this place! I am sure I will be returning as well!

4  Thank tripnut1

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a sort of quirky little place that we've really enjoyed. Very nice people, and very good food. That includes home-made applesauce, and a special blend of coffee called, "Voodoo Blend", which is only available there. It's roasted by a small company in the local area. There's a variety of food--my wife had a vegetable omelet last time, and she said it was delicious. Whatever you order can be adjusted to your particular taste--which is great for me since I'm the most picky eater anyone has ever met. Also, a fine choice of drinks, in addition to the coffee (which we buy whole bean, and grind at home). Located in what presumably was once a private home, it's nothing flashy to look at, inside or out. But forget that, don't go for the looks, go for all the rest. Just a short walk to Prescott favorites, too, like Courthouse Square, Whisky Row, and more than enough antique shops to suit anyone.

3  Thank Stan D