“Atmosphere=A+, Menu=D+”

Add it.
Maxine's New American Diner
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We tried out one of Prescott's newer restaurants today and were immediately impressed with the transformation they had made. On the interior it was very cute, colorful and eclectic. We were also immediately *depressed* by the menu. Their "Mid-Day Fare" (aka lunch menu) included literally seven options : burger, cheeseburger, grilled cheese, caesar or house salad, roast beef sandwich, cheese steak sandwich. The breakfast menu was printed on the back of our "lunch" menu, and after looking at that, we were disappointed that we could not order breakfast at noon on a Saturday.

We ordered the house salad and cheeseburger. As a vegetarian / vegan, my options were VERY limited. Even for the carnivores, there aren't many options. Although the food was very fresh, it was not very flavorful. The burger was not seasoned, nor did it come with fries. An $8 burger, should at least come with a side of fries. Pie was also on the menu (and I LOVE pie) but none of it was displayed, nor were there signs advertising the daily special. You had to ask a server what the pie of the day was. Had it been visible, or had she come up and told us, I probably would have ordered a slice. After eating a disappointing and overpriced salad, I plain forgot that I was considering a slice of pie.

They are really going to have to rework the menu in order to get the locals' business. Bummer.
Bill's Grill is just blocks away and offers a larger selection and better value.

1  Thank jsundogg

Reviewed June 20, 2013

With much anticipation we watched this new establishment go up near our second home and were excited to find it is a breakfast and lunch diner. On our recent trip to Prescott we ate at Maxine's twice. We were disappointed at such a limited and unoriginal menu but both found items which interested us. Both visits the service was extremely slow and it certainly wasn't because it was too busy. Our food was very good, an omelet and the chocolate chip pancakes the first time and a different omelet and the bacon and eggs breakfast the second. I received the wrong omelet and my husband, the breakfast plate instead of the ala carte items he ordered, a $2+ difference in price. Because it had taken so long I dared not return it and fortunately, enjoyed it very much. As more came in while we ate, they didn't seem to know how to handle 4 tables at once. Refills on the coffee only came as we were ready to leave and I was never offered a refill on my water. When we received our ticket we had also been charged for 2 coffees when we ordered only 1. We called this to our server's attention as well as having received the wrong omelet. She just smiled and said, "I know. It happens." Overall I would say the food we have tried is very tasty but I will not return again when I am in time constraints. I cannot imagine how a breakfast could take so long to prepare (and at that, get it wrong) when there are were only 3 people in the restaurant when we arrived and they had already received their food. If it weren't walking distance from our home with no other restaurant within 1/2 mile, I probably wouldn't return at all.

1  Thank mitimom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We were excited to see this restaurant finally opened. My husband had the fruit bowl which was yummy. All the fruit was fresh. It included cantalope, banana, strawberries, blueberries, grapes. My daughter and I shared the ham and cheese omelet. The omelet was good, I could have done without the Velvetta like cheese but it was good. The potatoes were fresh and yummy. Young, inexperienced girls are waiting tables. Our waitress took our order, was not very personalable. She never came and checked on us. If we needed something we had to flag her down. Food is good. If they could just focus on service they will be fine.

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Maxine's has been a highly anticipated venue ever since they began the total renovation of the previously abandoned eyesore building. It has some history since it is said to belong to the original Maxine whose parents opened the site back in the 1940's. the renovation was done very nicely with a vintage look inside and out. There is plenty of parking and outside seating too.
All of that said, there will need to be some improvements in the service, menu, and food for this place to take off.
First issue is the very limited menu. Choices were all beef hot sandwiches. Hamburger, roast beef, or cheese steak. All came with fries or onion rings, but they were out of onions that day. The only other food option was a Caesar salad , but there was no option to add meat to it. We had the cheese steak and while the veggies were great, there wasn't enough cheese and the meat was roast beef not steak. Fries were just OK. When you are competing with Bill's Grill just a mile down the same road, you have to do better. Service was also disappointing. We got drinks right away, but were never offered refills. When our food came, she asked if we needed anything else and we had to ask for utensils, napkins and ketchup. I admit we went for lunch on a Wednesday after they had been open only two weeks, so I still have hopes that they will get their act together. I plan to return in a month to give them another chance to impress me.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Cute, clean place, but a limited lunch menu of burger, Italian beef or salad. The burger and the Italian beef were nothing to come back for. Although the waitress was great in checking with us, she never refilled our water. I hope it makes it as it has potential.