“Delicious and Cheap”
Review of Hugo's Cocina - CLOSED

Hugo's Cocina
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: NEW OWNERS! THE CHEFS BOUGHT THE PLACE! The same great food maybe with a little pride added. Durango Mexican cooking at its best.I have passed by this little place for years and didn't give it a second glance. It is a little hole-in-the-wall delight; tiny with a one person kitchen. Now I am a regular, coming a a couple of times a week when in town. If you have to wait, it is well worth it.My wife has taken to the Frijoles Enteros, a vegetarian dish of whole pinto beans, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, guacamole and sour cream, served with fresh, warmed tortillas. I need a little meat, so I ask for a small bowl of red chili to complement the beans- it is not on the menu, but they are quite willing to accommodate. The meat is tender and delicious, in a mild thin red chili sauce. Their salsa bar has chips, salsas, lime wedges and jalapenos. The jalapenos make this a perfect meal. There is a lot of food. We will share a plate as there is too much for one. We will split a red chili burro, or a green chili burro and that is a delicious lunch with a side of free chips and salsa. For a great snack, a little lime on a carne asada taco delights my taste buds and comes close to filling me up.Yes, it is a little different, funky maybe; few tables inside, most outside in the back. It's a little bit of a challenge when it is really cold outside, but I have braved the cold for the food several times. It is a comfy winter environment inside. On a warm afternoon, sitting on the patio in beautiful Prescott with the excellent flavors of Hugo's food is just perfect.
Prescott, Arizona
“Delicious and Cheap”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I hate to use the word "dive," but Hugo's is what I would consider a great little "dive" Mexican food place in Prescott. There is not a lot of seating available during Winter time indoors, but when it is nice outside there is nice outside patio in back. What they do is simple, and they do it well ... this is a great littile place to check out.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Fotopala

Boston, United Kingdom
“Superb”
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Walked in and it's quite small and basic, asked for two margaritas and informed they didn't have a liquor licence, decided we'd come this far we'd give it a try. So pleased we did the food is excellent, try this place you're in for a treat so good and so cheap.

1 Thank bwss42
Minnesota
“Holy cow!”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This little hole-in-the-wall looked so run down, I could not believe my husband would take us there. But the food was amazing. Anything chicken here is outrageous. Their chicken quesadillas were the best Mexican food we ate all vacation, tacos were tasty, too, and my family inhaled the chips and fresh salsa.

All that and watching Spanish-language soaps on the
TV with a bunch of college students made for a fun little evening.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank not-naturally-red
Mich
“Outstanding Mexican Food”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This place is a great hole in the wall cafe. Everything seems to be make fresh. People were coming in suits, jeans and everything inbetween. They have daily special and outddor seating in back. Not exactly a place for your 25th anniversary dinner but great food none the less. We'd highly recommend.

• Visited October 2013
Chandler, Arizona, United States
“Good, not Great”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This place came with raving reviews from my business associates but when we stopped in here for lunch, I wasn't overly impressed. The menu is rather limited and the inside dining room is very small. It was obvious that our larger group made the patrons in the dining room uncomfortable because while waiting in line, we were hovering over them. The restaurant has a nice patio are outside which includes some covered seating and area heaters if it is cool or rainy but there is no good access to it (you have to walk through the dirt parking lot or down a narrow alley). The food was not the best mexican food I have had but was average at best. The staff was young and although I was told they worked at the establishment for a long time, seemed inexperienced in how to ring up orders or provide patrons with their orders. The place does offer free chips and 6 different salsas.

For a better option, go to El Charro which is one block south on the same side of the street.

Visited September 2013