“Nice little Zoo”

Heritage Park Zoo
Ranked #8 of 71 things to do in Prescott
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Heritage Park Zoological Sanctuary is a non-profit wildlife sanctuary, dedicated to the conservation and protection of native and exotic animals. Located in scenic Prescott, Arizona, the sanctuary provides a source of recreation, education and entertainment for all ages. With the mission of "Conservation through Education," Heritage Park Zoological Sanctuary provides a unique and up-close experience with animals visitors may see nowhere else. Animals at Heritage Park Zoological Sanctuary all have a story to tell and lesson to teach. We currently house more than 200 animals on our grounds - among them a Bengal Tiger, two Black Bears, two Clouded Leopard siblings, Mexican Gray Wolves, Bobcats, Lynx, Lemurs, various reptiles, and one of the largest tarantula displays in the Southwest.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nice little Zoo”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I took my 4 year old grandson to this Zoo. We saw all kinds of wildlife. I was mostly impressed with the Bald Eagle. I've never seen one in real life. I was very excited to have seen this Eagle. Almost all of the animals were out and visible. My Mom and I really enjoyed this Zoo. The staff were very informative and friendly. For my 4 year old grandson, his attention span wasn't into it. He was more interested in playing in the playground. Lol.

There were very limited snacks in the front store. I did not see any snack bar in the park. There were vending machines for sodas, but that was about it. I suggest packing your own lunch and enjoy your lunch at the provided picnic tables. There is 1 bathroom at the entrance but porta potty within the park.

1 Thank Bettyofhb

Phoenix, Arizona
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“A Fantastic little Zoo doing Wonderful work”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I found this little wildlife sanctuary on line and on a recent excursion to Prescott AZ, my wife and I decided to go. Our visit was fantastic. the enclosures were small, but well maintained. The animals seemed healthy and happy. The viewing areas were terrific. I especially liked the information plaques at each exhibit. Not only did they tell you what kind of animal was in the enclosure, but also where it was from and some information about it. Because this is a wildlife sanctuary, each animal also had a "pet name" and a story about where it had been rescued from. It looks like this place is doing amazing work.

Remember... this is NOT a zoo. They don't have the budget of a zoo. It is a home for injured and orphaned animals. There are no restaurant facilities, but they have a nice picnic area, and it's located in a beautiful mountain setting. The parking is rather hodge-podge, but be patient. This sanctuary is a terrific value and the money goes to a great cause! You will see a ton of wonderful animals UP CLOSE, Including Bears, a Bengal Tiger, Coyotes, Wolves, Eagles, and Alligator. We are definitely stopping again on our next visit to Prescott.

1 Thank Travellingphoenix64
Succasunna, New Jersey
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wonderful Zoo”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Nice sized local zoo that is clean and well-maintained. Animals include many of the local species in exhibits that are easy to view. The kids will love it.

1 Thank Bill273
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice little zoo”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to get out of the Phoenix heat so we spent a weekend in the Prescott area. We took our 9 month old to this zoo. It's small but the enclosures were easy for our son to see into from his stroller. I've never been so close to a bear! They have a nice play ground and grassy area for kids to run around. Our little guy liked the splash pad. If you're in the area it's worth a stop to check out.

Visited July 2013
Prescott, Arizona
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A Great Little Zoo”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We took our grandchildren here (5 and 2 years old) and were pleasantly surprised with the grounds, animals and friendly docents. Later we were back for a Bar Mitzah celebration and enjoyed the zoo again. This is a gem and I would recommend this activity to all age groups.

Visited June 2013