“Lovely Stay”

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Prescott, Arizona
“Lovely Stay”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many times and have always had a positive, pleasant experience. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and the complimentary breakfast in the Bistro is exceptional. You may have to spend a bit more to get a view room, it is worth if you can get one. The location is perfect to enjoy all of the downtown activities. I don't know what happened with these other reviewers but it is sad to see such negative comments about such a great place. This hotel is a historic landmark and has been beautifully restored, I for one appreciate the effort and care that has been taken to preserve the history of this very unique hotel.

Room Tip: reserve early to get the best rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The property is nothing remotely similar to their promotional pictures. They promise "views of downtown and whiskey row" but most room only have a view of the wall next door. The common hallway smelled like urine. The room was the size of a closet and "queen size" bed was smaller than a standard double. It's an overpriced flop house expertly marketed to fleece tourists. This hotel has not one redeeming quality and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JKCinAZ
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The St. Michaels hotel marquis says "Experience History". I suspect what that means is experience a history of a low rent flop house for Whiskey Row drunks. No amenities that one would expect for the price. Basically it's a hotel for drunks to stay after they "get smashed" at one of the bars right next door. When I complained about the fight that occurred on our floor and the noise and requested another room the front desk staff was nice, however, the feeble minded "bouncer/security guard (whom my wife said looked very "stoned") took issue with my complaint. This so called security guard asked us to leave the premises. I asked him to call the police and he did- we were evicted! The hotel also kept the money we paid for a four night stay after only one night at the premises! I did file a police report, and am contesting the theft. The police were very nice and indicated our recourse was a civil suit, they understood but Arizona law was on the hotel side. The police officer indicated they have had many such calls from unsuspecting tourists. I suspect they rip off many tourists who complain in any fashion. Of course being from out of town a civil suit is very inconvenient. We are an older reputable couple and will pursue this matter. In the mean time- tourist beware. Lastly, to be fair, the hotel bistro does serve good food, and the hotel desk staff were very understanding and apologized many times to us.

Room Tip: Choose a good room at another hotel!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rickety F
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My partner and i drove in on Friday night, stayed until Sunday. Front desk staff is very friendly and fun. The room was very clean, it didn't have that hotel room spell either. A/C worked perfect, having a ceiling fan was nice also. The only thing we didn't like was the location of our room. Our view was the back alley. I so recommend my friends to stay there. The food down at the Bistro was excite for the price, good and quick service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Carolina J
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I recently planned a motorcycle trip beginning July 13th of this year. Our first destination was Prescott because I had never been to Whiskey Row and my husband wanted me to experience it. He remembered there was a hotel on the corner and we found Hotel St Michael on the internet and made a reservation well in advance.

On July 13th, we arrived in Prescott and were told our room was not ready yet. We found a place to park and killed some time in the shops, etc. while we waited. We eventually checked in and proceeded to spend time on Whiskey Row shopping, eating and drinking. After spending a good amount of time and money we decided to turn in.

We returned to our room around 10pm and went to sleep shortly after that. Around midnight my husband was awoken by a stranger in our room. My husband was startled and very confused and upset. The stranger advised my husband that he was an employee of the establishment. Not knowing whether the man was telling the truth, my husband got dressed and went downstairs. At this point he was very upset and he let the front desk know as much. We were unable to understand why anyone would enter someone's private room in the middle of the night. According to the staff, they were unsure if the room was occupied..? Please note there is a phone in the room we were staying in. The man that entered our room advised my husband he had knocked, but the only sound my husband heard was that of the man entering our room.

We were very upset and unsettled, but we were still very tired and went back to sleep. About half an hour later we were awoken again by Prescott officers. The establishment had contacted them and instructed them to have us removed from the premises. According to the officers, the hotel staff has every right to enter our room in the middle of the night while we are asleep, or whenever they please for that matter...?

At the end of this nightmare, we found ourselves stuck in a town with no vacancies, in an all night rain storm, in the middle of the night. With no where to go, we were forced to spend the entire evening in the parking garage subjected to who knows what harm could have come to us. When the sun came up, we had no option but to leave Prescott in the very early morning hours, on our motorcycle in the rain with little to no rest, subject to the cold and rain.

Our vacation was ruined. We were treated like criminals after OUR privacy and rights were violated. We still aren't exactly sure why anyone would go into anyone's room at that hour. The key wasn't hanging on the wall indicating the room was vacant...the phone NEVER rang in our room. The whole situation just seems really shady and we're afraid that people's rights and privacy might be being violated more often than people may know. The whole incident had upset us deeply, and we are making as many people as possible aware of what we had to endure.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel...privacy is not an option here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank Monique S
Roach, Missouri, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2012

the room and service was average with nothing super special, but you are in a great location right in downtown by the square. The price is awesome and you get a free awesome breakfast with a choice of meat, eggs potatoes and toast!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Coleton W
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 17, 2012

you should be aware there is no way to lock anyone out of your room while you are sleeping. We were awoken at midnight with one of the staff in our ROOM!!! When we went down stairs to verify the person was actually an employee , they called the police because we were upset! According to Prescotts finest the hotel has the right to come in your room at anytime they want.CREEPY!!! Needless to say we were kicked out in the middle of the night in a rain storm with no vacancy in town.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple